Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Californian Elitist

If one despise self-referentialisms, then one should despise the versions of Soarin' with it's final scene of a Disney park.

And better hope that Disney doesn't get the rights back for Deadpool whose schtick is breaking the 4th wall.

The "story" of Soarin' is not some fictional synopsis that takes place in an imaginary setting. Guests fly over real places that actually exist. Guardians clearly doesn't take place in a real-life setting. Flying over Disneyland in Soarin' and Rocket acknowledging Disneyland's presence in Guardians are two completely different things, and I wouldn't call Soarin's ending a breaking of the fourth wall.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The "story" of Soarin' is not some fictional synopsis that takes place in an imaginary setting. Guests fly over real places that actually exist. Guardians clearly doesn't take place in a real-life setting. Flying over Disneyland in Soarin' and Rocket acknowledging Disneyland's presence in Guardians are two completely different things, and I wouldn't call Soarin's ending a breaking of the fourth wall.

I didn't call Soarin''s ending as breaking the fourth wall, but self-referentialism.

The story of Mission Breakout is that The Collector has surprise landed in Disneyland to show off his collection.

jocarol

I've read or heard that is the direction imagineering and Marvel agreed upon... the Marvel characters exist in the same universe as you and I AND Disneyland /Parks. So, it's not that we have come to their world, it's that they have come to us. I think this means that all attractions will be self conscious about location and references to the park that the attraction / land is in.

I've assumed they would do something like this -- a new universe within the Marvel multiverse. The multiverse includes the main comic universe (Earth-616), the ultimate comic universe (Earth-1610, recently destroyed), the cinematic universe (Earth-19999), the animated universe (Earth-92131), our universe (Earth-1218), etc. I think, rather than the characters from the movies visiting our universe, when we set foot in a Disney Park we will enter the Marvel Disney Park Universe, where these characters also exist. They will have their own internally consistent mythology that doesn't necessarily match up exactly to either the comics or the movies.

Professortango1

What you're assuming is that what we are looking at is the generator itself and not the control systems controlling the cages. It looks like the control system to me. Also Rocket is above us so anything he does is likely out of view. Hence the laser lighting effect in the middle of our view. This insinuates a laser blast from above which overloads and destroys the control systems.

I didn't notice a laser effect.

Ismael Flores

The fact that you think the average theme park guest should HAVE to listen to a lecture from a raccoon in order to understand the point of a ride is pretty ridiculous. A ride should not require in-depth research.
Wasn't tower of terror the same way? Guests walked into the library and had to listen to a man tell you exactly what happened on the day the elevator got struck by lightning. They even show you a movie of what you will see in the elevator.

Phroobar

f19cda1fbbf7b65182fb4761e2eb845fd9dbf59d4dfc7466a148ba6d1aa164ab.jpg

lazyboy97o

If one despise self-referentialisms, then one should despise the versions of Soarin' with it's final scene of a Disney park.

And better hope that Disney doesn't get the rights back for Deadpool whose schtick is breaking the 4th wall.
I didn't call Soarin''s ending as breaking the fourth wall, but self-referentialism.

The story of Mission Breakout is that The Collector has surprise landed in Disneyland to show off his collection.
Being self referential means the story requires being aware of elements that are actually outside the story itself. It's built around the notion of being "Disney" and tends to pop up as themed decoration.

Ismael Flores

I've read or heard that is the direction imagineering and Marvel agreed upon... the Marvel characters exist in the same universe as you and I AND Disneyland /Parks. So, it's not that we have come to their world, it's that they have come to us. I think this means that all attractions will be self conscious about location and references to the park that the attraction / land is in.
This also explains the stark expo and why it specifically says that the expo has been established in Hong Kong Disneyland

Ismael Flores

I find the hey that's Disneyland reference from Rocket funny because it seems that WDI purposely put it there as a reference to tourist. Almost every time I rode tower of terror there would be someone that shouts out, I could see Disneyland.

October82

Wasn't tower of terror the same way? Guests walked into the library and had to listen to a man tell you exactly what happened on the day the elevator got struck by lightning. They even show you a movie of what you will see in the elevator.

Not in nearly the same way. The ToT storyline was conceptually simpler, to the extent that the film only hinted at the past history of the structure guests were now inhabiting. GotG needs to introduce a far larger narrative involving characters and ideas that are exterior to the experience of the attraction, whereas for ToT, the experience is the guest's.

TP2000

In today's Micechat Monday photo update they report that one of the ride profiles for Mission: BREAKOUT! has the doors opening at the top for that lovely view of Disneyland, and then Rocket Raccoon says "Disneyland! That's thematically inconsistent." and then your elevator drops away.

That's hysterical! And it makes me want to wait in today's three hour long line just to try and get that line for a good laugh.

Cesar R M

They need to bring back the gunslingers in Frontierland. Get rid of the ridiculous giant Toy Story characters and have Zorro doing meet and greets.

GOTG is ushering in a new era for manliness at DL.
I wonder if this will counter the invasion of princesses from MK to EPCOT :eek:

EPICOT

Even if you didn't pay attention to the video, you could still understand the attraction. The aesthetics and theming told the story rather than it having to be laid out to you textbook style. What's not to get about an abandoned, haunted hotel?

D

Deleted member 107043

In today's Micechat Monday photo update they report that one of the ride profiles for Mission: BREAKOUT! has the doors opening at the top for that lovely view of Disneyland, and then Rocket Raccoon says "Disneyland! That's thematically inconsistent." and then your elevator drops away.

ToT was great attraction, but it was never the game changer for the Resort in terms of tone the way that MB is. There is something refreshing and different about this ride's aura from anything I've seen at DLR in recent memory, and I find it very alluring. MB breaks some traditions and pushes new boundaries for Disneyland with its rescue storyline, brash superhero characters, clever easter eggs, and chaotic dominating (some say ugly) building. I like this side of Disney and I want more of it please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom