Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

WhatJaneSays

It's a good movie - it's just not a very good Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

On it's own I only have a few minor contentions, but as part of a continuing narrative? Pretty bad.

Captain Barbossa

I was pleased to see a very diversed age range too. There were older/old adults, middle aged adults, young adults, teens, and (surprisingly) young children. Not that I would bring young children, but they were there. I do think that the audience wasn't real smart though. There were a dozen of jokes/references (some dirty) ,that were very hysterical and very easy to understand/catch on to, that the audience didn't seem to get. Overall I think the humour was great.

SeanWM48

i was all over this project from day one and pirates is my favorite series of films so i'm the last guy to ask for an objective opinion but i'll sum up my thoughts by saying i thought this delivered considering it's the 5th in the series. i also found it far more enjoyable than 'tides' (#4). i saw this IMAX on Thursday. the IMAX setting - especially the sound system - does the film justice. did not do 3D.

i really enjoyed the new characters. obviously Captain Salazar was cool, we knew that going in. the kid Thwaites playing Orlando's son was great. then you had enough of the older side guys come back like gibbs for it to still feel familiar.

if anybody was tiresome it was actually Depp, who seems to have forgotten how to really play Captain Jack. i know that sounds blasphemous but really he was full-blown drunk party jack 100% of the film. that's not how it used to be. Jack was always quirky but he was far more focused in the earlier films. i don't know if that's on the director(s) or on Johnny but i just found myself a little tired of the Captain by the end of the film.

i really liked the ending and anyone who remembers the third film enough will really like it. i thought to myself it would've been a very nice tasteful way to wrap the whole series up. but stay for the credits. i don't think it's over.

SJN1279

i was all over this project from day one and pirates is my favorite series of films so i'm the last guy to ask for an objective opinion but i'll sum up my thoughts by saying i thought this delivered considering it's the 5th in the series. i also found it far more enjoyable than 'tides' (#4). i saw this IMAX on Thursday. the IMAX setting - especially the sound system - does the film justice. did not do 3D.

i really enjoyed the new characters. obviously Captain Salazar was cool, we knew that going in. the kid Thwaites playing Orlando's son was great. then you had enough of the older side guys come back like gibbs for it to still feel familiar.

if anybody was tiresome it was actually Depp, who seems to have forgotten how to really play Captain Jack. i know that sounds blasphemous but really he was full-blown drunk party jack 100% of the film. that's not how it used to be. Jack was always quirky but he was far more focused in the earlier films. i don't know if that's on the director(s) or on Johnny but i just found myself a little tired of the Captain by the end of the film.

i really liked the ending and anyone who remembers the third film enough will really like it. i thought to myself it would've been a very nice tasteful way to wrap the whole series up. but stay for the credits. i don't think it's over.

I agree with most, but thought Depp was very good as Captain Jack. He had good chemistry with the other leads, and wasn't front and center the entire movie. I thought the whole package worked.

MaximumEd

Totally agree. Depp seemed completely off to me. Very flat, and totally different from the last 4. It was like he really wasn't into it.

Captain Barbossa

And here come the "I thought Johnny's acting was terrible because he got into a physical altercation with his wife" comments. Yes I thought his acting was a little off, but it could've been a heck of a lot worse.

MaximumEd

I have no idea about what did or didn't happen with his wife, and me and my whole family are huge potc fans. My comments have nothing to do with anything except his acting, which to me, seemed off. Nothing more, nothing less, Captain.

Tony Perkis

I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

It's not great, and Depp is especially awful, but the new cast is solid.

I also like the fact they unofficially ignore movie 4 outside of a few references. God that was terrible.

CJR

I too loved the film. It's the first film in the series, in my opinion, to improve from the previous installment. Loved the new characters more than I thought I would and the cliffhanger after the credits is nostalgic.

If it ends up being the last, I won't be upset since OST was a bit of a letdown for me, although I hope Disney takes the risk for one final film after this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom