Wine Bar George opening in Disney Springs late 2017

drwadadli

If things are so expensive in New Jersey and I am complaining about how expensive things are in Disney...that should tell you something about how expensive Disney really is. I don't pay $3.00 for a bottle of water In New Jersey. I don't pay $4.00 for a bottle of soda. I don't pay $17 for a plate of nachos, or $13.00 for a hamburger. And I can go off property and buy food at local Florida restaurants and pay FAR less than they charge at the park.

Disney is a racket. They mark up everything SO much. The reason they do this is because they know they can get away with it. And when Disney loyalists like you defend every decision they make.....it makes it that much easier for them to get away with it.

The Disney-loyalists are the problem and Disney is feeding off of your gullibility.
We all know Disney is overpriced in general but I will say again it is no different than going to a big city but the prices of a big city isn't going to stop me going there. If Disney is that overpriced for you, then stop going there and stop complaining. No one is making you go to WDW let alone Disney Springs. I am willing to $3.00 more for fish and chips at Raglan Roads or $2.00 more burger and fries at D-Luxe but if I went to Chicago, I would be willing $5.00 more fish and chip at some of their Irish pubs.

As for being a "Disney loyalist", yes I am but I guess you haven't been reading the posts because I have been comparing the prices of Disney Springs to the prices of big cities. So, I guess if I am a "Disney loyalist" then I guess I am also a "big city loyalist" because I have been defending their prices too.

I guess you don't go to Six Flags Great Adventure there in New Jersey because of their prices. Six Flags charge $4.75 for a bottle of water or $11.49 for nachos or $13.99 for a hamburger and fries or $4.50 for a soda. So, I guess you hate theme/amusement parks in general for their prices?!?!

Next Big Thing

Well, picnic tables though? A wine bar is supposed to represent "class" and "sophistication." Maybe it's just the anticipation I've built up since construction has taken forever and then seeing the concept art doesn't merit the time frame to me. Just my opinion. I was hoping for something boutique-ish and comfy like the that are peppered all around NYC. There's a perfect little one like that in downtown Winter Garden, FL!
Off Topic, but which place do you speak of in Winter Garden? I live in the area.

Yes Disneyworld as a whole is overpriced, but everyone on this forum knows that. If you don't want to pay those prices for food then don't eat there. At least visiting Disney Springs is optional, its not like the theme parks where once you are into the park you have to pay the price unless you have brought a picnic.

At least someone acknowledges that Disney World is overpriced. You are the only one. Everyone else, all of the Disney-Loyalists on these boards, claim that WDW is affordably priced. They are deluding themselves.
And I do not eat at the parks. I bring food or go off property to get a more reasonably priced meal where I don't have to pay $13 for a burger and fries (or apple slices) and a drink...and I can get unlimited refills unlike Disney's quick service restaurants where you only get one drink for that exorbitant price.

We all know Disney is overpriced in general but I will say again it is no different than going to a big city but the prices of a big city isn't going to stop me going there. If Disney is that overpriced for you, then stop going there and stop complaining. No one is making you go to WDW let alone Disney Springs. I am willing to $3.00 more for fish and chips at Raglan Roads or $2.00 more burger and fries at D-Luxe but if I went to Chicago, I would be willing $5.00 more fish and chip at some of their Irish pubs.

As for being a "Disney loyalist", yes I am but I guess you haven't been reading the posts because I have been comparing the prices of Disney Springs to the prices of big cities. So, I guess if I am a "Disney loyalist" then I guess I am also a "big city loyalist" because I have been defending their prices too.

I guess you don't go to Six Flags Great Adventure there in New Jersey because of their prices. Six Flags charge $4.75 for a bottle of water or $11.49 for nachos or $13.99 for a hamburger and fries or $4.50 for a soda. So, I guess you hate theme/amusement parks in general for their prices?!?!

Nope. I do not go to Six Flags a) because it is a rip off and b) because it is poorly maintained.

I will continue to complain because that is my right to do so. I refuse to sit idly by and not point out the flaws of Walt Disney World and their ridiculous prices while the rest of you allow them to charge $3.00 for a bottle of water...especially in an environment where water is of vital importance to help maintain hydration. Their mark up on water is ludicrous and unnecessary.

So you are comparing a metropolitan city with Theme Parks? Disney does not have a police force, they have security. Disney does not have unions to deal with. Disney does not have the permanent population and infrastructure. Disney does not manage an airport and Disney gets massive tax breaks from Florida. There is minimal comparison at best.

And in a city....certain items and certain restaurants are more expensive, but if you go to a quick service (fast food) restaurant...those prices are very close in comparison to other locations outside the city. The only difference is any taxation.

The fact of the matter is...as you have admitted...you are a Disney-Loyalist. They can do no wrong in your eyes. You cannot argue the point intellectually or logically because you have an unyielding bias towards Disney. And you clearly enjoy being taken advantage of by the company and not calling them to the carpet when they continuously raise prices.

No need to reply...I'm done wasting time with you.

drwadadli

Nope. I do not go to Six Flags a) because it is a rip off and b) because it is poorly maintained.

I will continue to complain because that is my right to do so. I refuse to sit idly by and not point out the flaws of Walt Disney World and their ridiculous prices while the rest of you allow them to charge $3.00 for a bottle of water...especially in an environment where water is of vital importance to help maintain hydration. Their mark up on water is ludicrous and unnecessary.

So you are comparing a metropolitan city with Theme Parks? Disney does not have a police force, they have security. Disney does not have unions to deal with. Disney does not have the permanent population and infrastructure. Disney does not manage an airport and Disney gets massive tax breaks from Florida. There is minimal comparison at best.

And in a city....certain items and certain restaurants are more expensive, but if you go to a quick service (fast food) restaurant...those prices are very close in comparison to other locations outside the city. The only difference is any taxation.

The fact of the matter is...as you have admitted...you are a Disney-Loyalist. They can do no wrong in your eyes. You cannot argue the point intellectually or logically because you have an unyielding bias towards Disney. And you clearly enjoy being taken advantage of by the company and not calling them to the carpet when they continuously raise prices.

No need to reply...I'm done wasting time with you.
I agree water is of vital importance but did you know you can get FREE water in WDW parks. It is very simple and FREE!!!!!!!!!!!! Just walk up to the counter and ask for a cup of ice. It is free and they will give it to you. Sometimes they will even fill it with water for you or you can go the water fountain and get your own water. Guess what.....it is............FREEEEEE!!!!!

I laugh at you. Prices to "quick service (fast food) restaurants are very close in comparison to other locations outside the city"...then I guess you have never been to the fancy McDonald's on Wall Street in New York City which is considered the most expensive McDonald's.

I NEVER said Disney could do no wrong in my eyes. Yes, I AM Disney Loyalist and I DO admit that there are flaws with Disney. So, you are the blind one if you think all Disney-Loyalist can't admit when there is a problem. But as far as the shops and restaurants at Disney Springs (which is what this conversation started out as), I see no problems.

So, if you hate Disney so much, why are you on this site??? If you hate Disney so much, why go to the parks??? If your whole argument is about raising prices, then I guess you are mad about raising prices of everything including the film business which you are part of or the price of cars or for that matter gum...LOL

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Lots of Disney employees are unionized. Yes, Disney doesn't have much of a permanent population but it has a transient population that is larger then most cities in the US and it has a considerable infrastructure.

Lots of Disney employees are unionized. Yes, Disney doesn't have much of a permanent population but it has a transient population that is larger then most cities in the US and it has a considerable infrastructure.

It costs approximately $250,031 per day to run each park in Walt Disney World.
There are 4 major parks, 2 water parks and Disney Springs
We will count the two water parks and Disney Springs as 1.5 parks since they are a fraction of the size and have lower costs than the 4 major parks.
So that gives us about 5.5 parks. I will even round that up to 6 to include other costs and areas.

6 Parks x $250,031 per day = $1,500,186 operating costs per day approximate

365 days in a year since the parks operate 24/7 x $1,500,186 = $549,068,076 per year to operate Walt Disney World approximated.

In New York City for example it costs approximately $23,000,000 per year to operate one large high rise.
$23,000,000 divided by 365 days in a year = $63,014 per day to run one high rise. That is only 1/4 of what it takes to run an entire park in Disney World.

So $250,031 divided by $63, 014 = 3.97

So you can run 4 high rise buildings in New York City for what it costs to run Walt Disney World for one day.

Since it costs $1,500,186 to run all of Walt Disney World per day divided by $63,014 to run one high rise for a day in New York City equals ... 41.65. Round that to 42.

So to operate Walt Disney World for one day you can run 42 high rises in New York City....and there are 6,154 high rises in New York City and 113 of those are 600 feet or taller.

Just operating those 113 high rises x $23,000,000 per year = $2.599 BILLION per year

And that is JUST those 113 high rises. That does not account for the rest of the city's infrastructure (trash remove, DOT, NYPD, NYFD, Airports, etc.

You can operate 4.7 entire Walt Disney Worlds for the cost of just operating 113 large high rises in New York City...not including the 6,041 OTHER high rises and the rest of the city.

Walt Disney World's infrastructure doesn't even come close.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It costs approximately $250,031 per day to run each park in Walt Disney World.
There are 4 major parks, 2 water parks and Disney Springs
We will count the two water parks and Disney Springs as 1.5 parks since they are a fraction of the size and have lower costs than the 4 major parks.
So that gives us about 5.5 parks. I will even round that up to 6 to include other costs and areas.

6 Parks x $250,031 per day = $1,500,186 operating costs per day approximate

365 days in a year since the parks operate 24/7 x $1,500,186 = $549,068,076 per year to operate Walt Disney World approximated.

In New York City for example it costs approximately $23,000,000 per year to operate one large high rise.
$23,000,000 divided by 365 days in a year = $63,014 per day to run one high rise. That is only 1/4 of what it takes to run an entire park in Disney World.

So $250,031 divided by $63, 014 = 3.97

So you can run 4 high rise buildings in New York City for what it costs to run Walt Disney World for one day.

Since it costs $1,500,186 to run all of Walt Disney World per day divided by $63,014 to run one high rise for a day in New York City equals ... 41.65. Round that to 42.

So to operate Walt Disney World for one day you can run 42 high rises in New York City....and there are 6,154 high rises in New York City and 113 of those are 600 feet or taller.

Just operating those 113 high rises x $23,000,000 per year = $2.599 BILLION per year

And that is JUST those 113 high rises. That does not account for the rest of the city's infrastructure (trash remove, DOT, NYPD, NYFD, Airports, etc.

You can operate 4.7 entire Walt Disney Worlds for the cost of just operating 113 large high rises in New York City...not including the 6,041 OTHER high rises and the rest of the city.

Walt Disney World's infrastructure doesn't even come close.

Where are you getting your Disney operating cost numbers from?

Gatorboy

I don't know who started the comparison between WDW and a big city, but I think if you compare it to say going to a ball game( pick a sport) and wow, $3.00 waters, $13.00 dollar hamburgers, and let's not even think about beer. I agree that prices are ridiculously high for all entertainment, so get over it. You either pay for the entertainment or go eat off site at McDonald's. You "facts" are amusing, by the way, what is this thread about again?

Last edited by a moderator:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If things are so expensive in New Jersey and I am complaining about how expensive things are in Disney...that should tell you something about how expensive Disney really is. I don't pay $3.00 for a bottle of water In New Jersey. I don't pay $4.00 for a bottle of soda. I don't pay $17 for a plate of nachos, or $13.00 for a hamburger. And I can go off property and buy food at local Florida restaurants and pay FAR less than they charge at the park.

Disney is a racket. They mark up everything SO much. The reason they do this is because they know they can get away with it. And when Disney loyalists like you defend every decision they make.....it makes it that much easier for them to get away with it.

The Disney-loyalists are the problem and Disney is feeding off of your gullibility.

If you think Disney is a "racket" why do you still support it by going?

The Mom

Premium Member
I don't know who started the comparison between WDW and a big city, but I think if you compare it to say going to a ball game( pick a sport) and wow, $3.00 waters, $13.00 dollar hamburgers, and let's not even think about beer. I agree that prices are ridiculously high for all entertainment, so get over it. You either pay for the entertainment or go eat off site at McDonald's. You "facts" are amusing, by the way, what is this thread about again?

I totally agree. Location, location, location. Prices in a resort area are always going to be higher than tourist areas where people actually live. If you are willing and able to leave the confines of the resort, you can find cheaper restaurants, bars, etc.

WDW prices are consistent with sporting events (as you mentioned) or resort areas, such as a ski resort. Or a resort like Atlantis in the Bahamas. Or restaurants in major cities unless you know where the locals go to eat.

DaBears81

While I agree $3 for a bottle of Dasani water is ridiculous (especially since it's terrible). My local movie theater in a small town in Florida charges $5.50 for the exact same bottle of water. Sure it might be cheaper to eat off property, except when I'm at Disney I don't want to eat at a chili's or some other chain I can get at home. Also factoring gas money and time I don't know if for me (and I reiterate for me) it's cheaper and worth it. Let alone if someone isn't a local and doesn't have a rental car.

While I agree $3 for a bottle of Dasani water is ridiculous (especially since it's terrible). My local movie theater in a small town in Florida charges $5.50 for the exact same bottle of water. Sure it might be cheaper to eat off property, except when I'm at Disney I don't want to eat at a chili's or some other chain I can get at home. Also factoring gas money and time I don't know if for me (and I reiterate for me) it's cheaper and worth it. Let alone if someone isn't a local and doesn't have a rental car.

The problem is that the quality of cuisine at the vast majority of these in park restaurants is FAR from high end especially for the price they are charging.
The Rose and Crown is similar to a Tilted Kilt restaurant just with a better atmosphere, but a $10 burger at Kilt costs like $15 at Rose & Crown.
Tony's Town Square is terrible Italian food. I have eaten at Olive Garden..and that food is actually better.
San Angel Inn restaurant in Mexico (Epcot) is terrible Mexican food. I have local places around me WAY better than that. The atmosphere is the only good thing about it.
Yak & Yeti food is poorly prepared and completely not worth the price. I would rather eat at my local Chinese restaurant and get my favorite meal for a fraction of the price.

If Disney is going to have Table Service restaurants and charge high end prices....then they better provide high end food.

The Yachtsman steakhouse, Ohana, etc.....those are worth the price. You pay for the food, the service and the quality at place like that.
But in the parks Disney is totally lacking in quality food for the price at their table service restaurants.

The Mom

Premium Member
Again, you can leave the resort and drive to a Tilted Kilt and get your $10 burger. Or, you can stay in the resort and pay $15 for the same item. I paid $15 for a so-so burger at a high end resort 10 years ago - because I was sitting on the beach, rather than in a strip mall somewhere. But I was paying for location and convenience - not an epicurean meal. Which is what you're doing at WDW. You are going to pay through the nose for the convenience of eating/drinking inside the park. It was that way when I first went in 1982 (and the food was much worse, IMO)

I would also assume that the wine prices at a wine bar in WDW are going to be a lot steeper than what I would pay at my local bar.

Again, you can leave the resort and drive to a Tilted Kilt and get your $10 burger. Or, you can stay in the resort and pay $15 for the same item. I paid $15 for a so-so burger at a high end resort 10 years ago - because I was sitting on the beach, rather than in a strip mall somewhere. But I was paying for location and convenience - not an epicurean meal. Which is what you're doing at WDW. You are going to pay through the nose for the convenience of eating/drinking inside the park. It was that way when I first went in 1982 (and the food was much worse, IMO)

I would also assume that the wine prices at a wine bar in WDW are going to be a lot steeper than what I would pay at my local bar.

I can go to Wildwood or Ocean City, NJ and still get a better meal at a more affordable price and sit on a beach.
Just because Disney CAN charge that much, it does not mean they should.
And the ONLY way they should is if the quality if WORTH the $15.

As for going off property and eating....what makes you think I don't? Disney food is just not worth it and should be much better.
Unlike you many of us expect Disney to maintain a higher quality like they USED to. Now you can only get great food predominantly at their higher end restaurants. Normal table service restaurants in Disney World have average at best food quality and Disney should do better.

But of course the Disney-loyalists, instead of holding Disney to a higher standard, will defend them just because it's Disney.
And that is why they get away with such poor quality food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom