Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

JediMasterMatt

Real question is.

Is Disney building Star Wars land with room to expand.?

There is a blessing of size in Orlando... but the future of Star Wars is not in contiguous spaces (pun intended) by design for either coasts.

When/if more SW comes to Disney Parks, it will come in the form of different point on the galactic map.

Theoretically, if WDW got another SW destination, it could go into DHS; but, my guess is they've learned their lessons well from Potter.

Why get one gate admission when you can have two?

Princess Leia

There is a blessing of size in Orlando... but the future of Star Wars is not in contiguous spaces (pun intended) by design for either coasts.

When/if more SW comes to Disney Parks, it will come in the form of different point on the galactic map.

Theoretically, if WDW got another SW destination, it could go into DHS; but, my guess is they've learned their lessons well from Potter.

But why would they do that?

Where would Disney put Star Wars outside of DHS?

It definitely doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom (yes, I know Pandora's there now, but Star Wars and Avatar don't share the same message), and I suppose you could put it in Epcot or MK if you really stretched things, but there's no reason to do so.

Harry Potter and Universal are a different situation. Sure, the Lost Continent at IOA could be completely taken over one day (at least that's my guess) if Universal wanted to add something like the Forbidden Forest or a Quidditch pitch (and with the popularity of Quidditch as a sport, I think it would be a smart move), but putting Diagon Alley into US made sense. The Wizarding World is accessed from a seemingly muggle area over there.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

I don't think the lesson is the same for Walt Disney World as it is with Orlando Universal. The thing Disney needs to do to get two gate admissions instead of on is just get people out of the Magic Kingdom. If adding more Star Wars to Disney's Hollywood Studies makes this happen, that is what Disney will do.

JediMasterMatt

Just FYI - the non-DHS location for future SW is my gut feeling based on what I know from those working on the project. It obviously won't expand in Disneyland proper; but, knowing what I do of Parks - when the time comes for another spot for the SW spaceships to land, it will be a hard sell to not put it into whatever park in Orlando needs a boost when/if the time comes.

Everyone on board the project fully expects that SW will instantly resolve the "gate" issue that plagues DHS. It's not going to solve the capacity issue and it will likely cause more harm than good (which is why TS and Mickey are crucial).

Let's just say that mid-2020's attendance results look like what we expect with DHS challenging for 2nd place at WDW (it is the long term goal). The TDO mindset will have a hard time not repurposing SW to whatever park is suffering at that point to boost their gate. That's my fear.

Don't worry though... we're a long way from that point. There are blue sky ideas for more SW in the parks; but, nothing to get excited for just yet.

Mike S

This is what I'm scared of. At Disney no other park can thematically fit something like this whereas at Universal the parks are much closer in what kind of experience they aim for.
But why would they do that?

Where would Disney put Star Wars outside of DHS?

It definitely doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom (yes, I know Pandora's there now, but Star Wars and Avatar don't share the same message), and I suppose you could put it in Epcot or MK if you really stretched things, but there's no reason to do so.

Harry Potter and Universal are a different situation. Sure, the Lost Continent at IOA could be completely taken over one day (at least that's my guess) if Universal wanted to add something like the Forbidden Forest or a Quidditch pitch (and with the popularity of Quidditch as a sport, I think it would be a smart move), but putting Diagon Alley into US made sense. The Wizarding World is accessed from a seemingly muggle area over there.
The Forbidden Forest is a real thing (rumored) and it's replacing Dragon Challenge, not LC. Personally I think The Legend of Zelda would work great as a LC replacement.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Via Flights of Passage we've seen the direction WDI can go for elaborate queues and multiple preshows.

Wait for the SWL Battle Attraction. Very elaborate. Very long. Fully immersive, a story that tells itself as you progress and one or two very clever tricks. Including one I don't think that has been used before the main attraction before.

britain

Via Flights of Passage we've seen the direction WDI can go for elaborate queues and multiple preshows.

Wait for the SWL Battle Attraction. Very elaborate. Very long. Fully immersive, a story that tells itself as you progress and one or two very clever tricks. Including one I don't think that has been used before the main attraction before.

Thanks @marni1971! Hey I don't recall if you've said before, but what's the estimated ride time for Battle Escape? Not including the potentially 4-hr FoP-ish queue leading up to it?

(Didn't mean to say the queue would be foppish!)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks @marni1971! Hey I don't recall if you've said before, but what's the estimated ride time for Battle Escape? Not including the potentially 4-hr FoP-ish queue leading up to it?

(Didn't mean to say the queue would be foppish!)
I don't know the exact ride time. The RVs will be doing a lot of stop-starting during the ride for various reasons.

wdwfan4ver

I'm afraid of what you are indicating in this case. The only thing I could think of for not DHS is the potential of Indiana Jones and wanting the Courtyard to be used for Disney cartoon/animated film attractions.

There is a difference between Universal and Disney theme parks. Universal's two theme parks are very similar. All 4 WDW theme parks are different with 2 of them completely couldn't fit the theme of Star Wars in AK and Ecpot. Epcot never was designed for science fiction.

MK is a closest of the 3 parks that could make Star Wars a fit due to Tomorrowland. Some parts of Tomorrowland is science fiction and Star Wars is part of the science fiction movie genre. The problem I have is due to the rumors on the message board about Stitch and the Speedway.

Last edited:

britain

I'm afraid of what you are indicating in this case. The only thing I could think of for not DHS is the potential of Indiana Jones and wanting the Courtyard to be used for Disney cartoon/animated film attractions.

There is a difference between Universal and Disney theme parks. Universal's two theme parks are very similar. All 4 WDW theme parks are different with 2 of them completely couldn't fit the theme of AK and Ecpot. Epcot never was designed for science fiction.

MK is a closest of the 3 parks that could make Star Wars a fit due to Tomorrowland. Some parts of Tomorrowland is science fiction and Star Wars is part of the science fiction movie genre. The problem I have is due to the rumors on the message board about Stitch and the Speedway.

I agree, SW belongs nowhere near Epcot, but Pandora has already bent the rules for AK. There's no reason why you couldn't go from A'wah to the Force that is in all living things...

Clearly MK is the preferable "Site B" for more Star Wars. Anybody who doesn't like that will have to get over it like the westcoasters will.

britain

Yeah, one wonders if they would put it in the Fantasyland/Tomorrowland transition area, or if they would truncate their Rivers of America like DL did. We know TDO is tempted by the idea of simplifying their river. Unfortunately, the Star Wars concept that would best fit behind a Frontierland river is already being built at DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom