Cosmic Commando

And how are there enough Avatar bodies up there to ensure a compatible DNA match with all the guests Alpha Centauri Expeditions wants to accommodate? Do they keep a big pile of them sleeping up on the mountain, stacked up like cordwood? Do they have to pay some Na'vi to shoo away all the banshees that try to eat them? Is there a big conveyor belt set up to return all the Avatar bodies to the top of the mountain once the guests are done with them, like at a tube slide at a water park?
This is where I'm just letting my suspension of disbelief take over. The plot of the movie was that making an avatar body was ridiculously expensive, so the company recruited poor schlub Jake Sully to take his well-trained dead twin's place rather than let that avatar go to waste. 75 years or so later, they're just cranking these things out like hotcakes. It's not unheard of, but for a poor schlub like me to afford to have my own personal avatar made, technology must have advanced pretty darn far. :hilarious: Star Trek replicators and transporters.

Cosmic Commando

Just throwing this out there: Could the generic setup of Satu'li Canteen almost be by design to keep people from camping out in the land? Not saying it's a valid excuse, but a possibility.
I've heard that the parking lot of DAK was made intentionally more bleak than it could have been in order to give a greater contrast with what was inside. It could be that they made the human buildings blah to highlight the differences with the natural world outside. Not necessarily a great strategy-- it took a lot of work to make Dinorama look so cheap-- but I'll withhold judgment until I see it.

Bairstow

This is where I'm just letting my suspension of disbelief take over. The plot of the movie was that making an avatar body was ridiculously expensive, so the company recruited poor schlub Jake Sully to take his well-trained dead twin's place rather than let that avatar go to waste. 75 years or so later, they're just cranking these things out like hotcakes. It's not unheard of, but for a poor schlub like me to afford to have my own personal avatar made, technology must have advanced pretty darn far. :hilarious: Star Trek replicators and transporters.
Well, remember, if we're on Pandora we already have to be rich and fancy Richard Garriot space tourist types so presumably we could afford to have one or two Avatars made for us. I wonder what happens after we leave. Do they just throw the bodies away?

I realize that Disney and Cameron wanted to get away from the plot of the movie so that World of Avatar could explore more peaceful, ecology-minded themes, but the more I think about it the more this whole thing starts to sound like Westworld.

Cosmic Commando

Well, remember, if we're on Pandora we already have to be rich and fancy Richard Garriot space tourist types so presumably we could afford to have one or two Avatars made for us. I wonder what happens after we leave. Do they just throw the bodies away?

I realize that Disney and Cameron wanted to get away from the plot of the movie so that World of Avatar could explore more peaceful, ecology-minded themes, but the more I think about it the more this whole thing starts to sound like Westworld.
Disintegrated into its component elements, so that it can be re-assembled into a different body in the future. Powered by a highly efficient matter-antimatter reactor. Or something like that.

Edit: The Avatar wiki says that the interstellar ships in the movie already used antimatter recators, so it's feasible (in a science fiction-y way).

dreamscometrue

Man people are complaining about Avatar I can't wait to see the level of anger come TSL time.
Except really not many people in the real world are complaining. There's a percentage of theme park obsessed people (like us) who frequent boards such as this, who complain. The vast majority of people on here, however, will visit and love it, as will 99.9% of DAK park guests, most of whom don't even know it exists yet. :)

Last edited:

TalkingHead

The new E-ticket attraction is far from "less ambitious"... it's actually an extremely complex ride system...one of, if not the most complex on property

I guess we'll wait for the rave reviews to pour in, then. I'm not hearing any "best ride in Orlando" comments. Which, if you've spent a billion dollars on a land, you might expect.

TalkingHead

As far as I know, the second E-ticket didn't get very far at all. The E and C have seemingly remained largely unchanged since the blueprints leaked.

The fact remains that they'd initially planned to clone this land in Asia, and they've evidently scrapped those plans suggesting that they don't have much faith in Avatar as a worldwide, bankable phenomenon.

TalkingHead

1000x563

somehow i think this land is gonna make it

I'll drop out of this conversation since a lot of you are clearly enamored with what you're seeing.

But I think you need some serious pixie glasses to look at that pic and think they got their money's worth in atmosphere. That photo doesn't look cutting edge at all to me.

doctornick

The fact remains that they'd initially planned to clone this land in Asia, and they've evidently scrapped those plans suggesting that they don't have much faith in Avatar as a worldwide, bankable phenomenon.

Or it could simply be that they bought Lucasfilm in the interim and feel that using the same investment/space to build up Star Wars more makes better sense.

Notes from Neverland

And certainly if WDI believed that something important was still being tested, they would have made it known to the press that such-and-such effect would be online by opening day.

They actually did say that not everything is 100% finished, including outdoor lighting elements. Didn't specify what, but they did say that what is being seen isn't the whole finished product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom