AVATAR land construction progress

Daveeeeed

I've always been surprised that they wouldn't go for a higher capacity for River Journey. I understand it would cost more, but it seems a boat with more rows just makes plain sense.

matt9112

Yikes! I am well past that

Look at the banshee ride system....how many people are going to be mad about that.

Forbidden journey has weight limits.

My honest opinion is that we are reaching a point where it's very hard to make a one size fits all seat. I had a jeep Cherokee rental and I was amazed at how wide the seats are. I figured they were made for giants.

No Name

I too am interested in what the capacity is. How many boats are out there at one time would give us a good clue.

I've always been surprised that they wouldn't go for a higher capacity for River Journey. I understand it would cost more, but it seems a boat with more rows just makes plain sense.

I'm a little bit disappointed that they didn't go for a floating omnimover.
https://www.google.com/patents/US20...a=X&ei=Kv8jUY2QC4iGrgGuq4HoCg&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA

With that system, NRJ's capacity would certainly be higher than it is now. I'd say, at least double.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I too am interested in what the capacity is. How many boats are out there at one time would give us a good clue.

I'm a little bit disappointed that they didn't go for a floating omnimover.
https://www.google.com/patents/US20...a=X&ei=Kv8jUY2QC4iGrgGuq4HoCg&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA

With that system, NRJ's capacity would certainly be higher than it is now. I'd say, at least double.

One video showed the boats pretty close together, maybe two boat lengths in between. If that's the case it could have a pretty good dispatch rate.

gorillaball

How many boats are out there would have no impact on the capacity of the ride. # of riders by frequency of dispatch, that's it.

If you dispatch 16 riders every 30 seconds (just my random numbers) the theoretical ride capacity is 1,920 riders. If you are using 10 boats on a 2 minute ride or if you are dispatching 100 boats on a 20 minute ride, the capacity is still 1,920 riders per hour.

RSoxNo1

I suspect Na'vi River Journey will be closer to Frozen Ever After's capacity than any other boat ride on property.

It loads and unloads two boats at a time which at 3-4 per row is comparable to Frozen's single dispatch of boats that have 4 rows. Frozen does have other bottlenecks in the attraction though, where it doesn't appear that Na'vi River Journey does (triggered effects, track reversals, etc).

Simply put: If they're dispatching two boats every 30 seconds and each boat has 6 people in them, the hourly capacity is 1440 an hour. If it's two boats every 40 seconds w/6 people per boat it's 1080 an hour.

gorillaball

I suspect Na'vi River Journey will be closer to Frozen Ever After's capacity than any other boat ride on property.

It loads and unloads two boats at a time which at 3-4 per row is comparable to Frozen's single dispatch of boats that have 4 rows. Frozen does have other bottlenecks in the attraction though, where it doesn't appear that Na'vi River Journey does (triggered effects, track reversals, etc).

Simply put: If they're dispatching two boats every 30 seconds and each boat has 6 people in them, the hourly capacity is 1440 an hour. If it's two boats every 40 seconds w/6 people per boat it's 1080 an hour.

Exactly. # of boats on the ride and length of the ride are meaningless variables in the word problem to confuse the poor test taker.

gmajew

Premium Member

Going to hope you are really really wrong on your estimate... I was hoping for at least 2K an hour on this ride.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Going to hope you are really really wrong on your estimate... I was hoping for at least 2K an hour on this ride.

if we assume 4 people per row, that's 8 per boat so to get to 2000 that would be a dispatch every 14 second, and we are just talking theoretical max.

Rodan75

Yeah no way 4 people are going to come close per row with the size of people today.
Sad...

or leg spreaders or folks who just don't like people or odd group sizes who don't want to be split. Don't be a dick.

Assuming an average of 3 folks per row is likely the best way to get the actual capacity. Those boats look like they were built for 2 adults and 2 children or 3 adults.

No Name

How many boats are out there would have no impact on the capacity of the ride.

Oh dear... maybe we're not on the same page, but that is wrong. Tagging @RSoxNo1 @DisneyExpert @SpectroMan93 @jgg because you liked the post, which means you also misunderstand.

I'll explain. Let's just say that there are 30 boats circulating throughout the whole ride path, and the ride lasts 5 minutes. That means that roughly 30 boats are dispatched during every 5 minute (300 second) interval. Think about it, it's true. It must be true.

Then, divide 300 seconds by 30 boats, and you get 10 seconds per boat. That means one boat is dispatched every 10 seconds.
Then divide 3600 seconds by 10 seconds, and you get the number of boats dispatched per hour, which is 360.
Multiple 360 by the number of riders per boat. Let's do theoretical. Theoretically, there are 8 riders per boat, so 360 times 8 is 2880.

That means, if my blue example numbers were true, the theoretical capacity would be 2880 riders per hour. The operational capacity could be found by multiplying 360 by the average number of actual riders per boat.

So you can indeed find the capacity by knowing how long the ride is and how many boats are out there! Wowzers!!!
And since we know the actual ride time, all we need is the number of boats out there.

If you have any questions, please ask. I hope this explanation helps. As MisterPenguin said below, we might just be talking past each other.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think this is the beginning of people talking past each other math-wise.

If you know the rate of loading a boat (and how many people are in the boat) and that rate of loading doesn't change with the number of boats out in the ride, then, tautologically, the number of boats doesn't effect throughput.

If, however, the number of boats out in the ride affects the rate of loading (e.g., if you have just one boat, the rate of loading is going to be once every five minutes for a five minute ride; but, if you have 100 boats, then you can load nearly continuously at maximum speed of moving human bodies around, such as once every 10 seconds), then more boats will effect the throughput until you hit the maximum loading speed of human bodies at which point, extra boats do nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom