PizzeRizzo Reviews

theguitarman

Original Poster
I was wondering what everyone thinks of the theming of the relatively new PizzeRizzo at DHS?

I was pretty excited when we walked in and saw a few humorous plaques for Employee of the Month, Pizza Eating Contests, and the "First Dollar" framed on the wall (kinda). There was a nice reference to the 2011 Muppets film with Gonzo's Royal Flush signage, and then cool Muppets portraits. But the rest of the restaurant was a pretty straight NY Pizza Parlor. No Muppet gags or sounds or interactive elements. I was pretty underwhelmed.

Food wise, it was the same as Pizza Planet, which is fine. But I really was let down by the theming.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Could not disagree more ;)

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

Disney Birthday 2016-49.jpg

IMG_6179.JPG

IMG_6180.JPG

Disney Birthday 2016-50.jpg

Captain Barbossa

I was wondering what everyone thinks of the theming of the relatively new PizzeRizzo at DHS?

I was pretty excited when we walked in and saw a few humorous plaques for Employee of the Month, Pizza Eating Contests, and the "First Dollar" framed on the wall (kinda). There was a nice reference to the 2011 Muppets film with Gonzo's Royal Flush signage, and then cool Muppets portraits. But the rest of the restaurant was a pretty straight NY Pizza Parlor. No Muppet gags or sounds or interactive elements. I was pretty underwhelmed.

Food wise, it was the same as Pizza Planet, which is fine. But I really was let down by the theming.
Are the prices about the same?

Weather_Lady

I looked over a detailed review of it before the went for the first time -- otherwise, I'd have been disappointed like the OP. I guess I was expecting a place full of sight gags, like the waiting area to the Muppets attraction. While I had hoped for something more "over the top" in terms of theming we adjusted our expectations accordingly and really enjoyed our lunch there. (We ate in the "tacky reception" room, which had a pitch-perfect soundtrack playing -- it was fun.) The pizza was nothing to write home about, but it wasn't terrible, and my antipasto salad and tiramisu were excellent.

Otterhead

When I first saw this message board, I looked very closely... and could hardly believe it. Behind the white lettering you can just barely read the shadows of the letters that "used to be there"; the board used to read:
Pa Otter Memorial Service
with tribute performance by
The Frogtown Hollow
Jubilee Jug Band

That's such a sweet, unexpected nod to Emmet Otter. The designers really cared.

theguitarman

Original Poster

Differing expectations, I guess. These are definitely hilarious touches. The tacky reception area is funny, and I LOVE subtlety in design at the parks, but I guess it didn't make me think Muppets at all. Overall, other than a few signs like I said, everything was played pretty straight like Rizzo just owned a regular pizza joint. The Muppets, and especially Rizzo, were not subtle to me, so I was expecting a little more zaniness! Would love to hear more why you disagree!

gmajew

Premium Member
Place is very cool they did a good job theming some cool little things to see. Food is horrible. Typical standard pizza. They can do so much better.

Bairstow

When I first saw this message board, I looked very closely... and could hardly believe it. Behind the white lettering you can just barely read the shadows of the letters that "used to be there"; the board used to read:
The Frogtown Hollow
Jubilee Jug Band

f7f.jpeg

DisneyPrincess5

The Frogtown Hollow
Jubilee Jug Band

So agreed. It's nice to see the lesser known work of Henson be recognized. Two others that come to mind are the Christmas Toy and The Tale of the Bunny Picnic. Love when any of these get exposure.

danyoung56

Food is horrible. Typical standard pizza.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but for me the food was in no way horrible when I ate there last week. The pizza could have used more toppings, but the pizza crust was hot and fresh, and the salad was fresh and tasty. Overall I thought it was a fine choice for a fast lunch in a park that could use more choices for lunch.

Last edited:

ElleJay1119

So agreed. It's nice to see the lesser known work of Henson be recognized. Two others that come to mind are the Christmas Toy and The Tale of the Bunny Picnic. Love when any of these get exposure.
Thank you for naming these! My son loves the Muppets and I stumbled across the Emmett Otter DVD on amazon and he loves that too! I will have to check these out for him; it looks like they are both on YouTube.

DisneyPrincess5

Thank you for naming these! My son loves the Muppets and I stumbled across the Emmett Otter DVD on amazon and he loves that too! I will have to check these out for him; it looks like they are both on YouTube.
You're welcome! I was the biggest Muppet fan as a kid, still now. I remember how much joy I got from watching anything Muppets over and over and snuggling with my Fozzie and gang stuffed animals. It makes me happy to hear that kids are still into them.
Has he seen the Muppets at Walt Disney World special yet?

Otterhead

He should also check out Fraggle Rock, if he hasn't already.
And it's the wrong season for it, but definitely check out "A Muppet Family Christmas"; it's only on YouTube but it's worth seeking out. The Muppets, the Sesame Street characters, and the Fraggles all have Christmas together and sing songs from Emmet Otter and The Christmas Toy. And Jim Henson makes a cameo. It's the most Muppety thing ever :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom