The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
OMG! Have you guys seen the rain we've been getting?
It is beyond crazy and no end in sight. Even the sidewalks are rivers. Light posts again under water, bushes and trees again.
The Trees maybe happy but I am not. Pretty certain the beavers on the river have been displaced once again. I can hear the rain slapping against the window, the wind is nasty.

Gotta hate when you see the warning on the TV saying
Life-threatening flash flooding and increasing over night. :jawdrop:
At least I am sleeping on the second story right?

Cesar R M

But things have changed so much since we were in school. Laws changed for copy writing. Teachers could not just copy a workbook sheet anymore and half or more text books came home with my kids.

Me I have a real pet peeve with teachers sending young kids home with so many text books in our district though I don't know what they were really to do about it. They too were ham-stringed. My DD was in 3rd grade, a mere 43 pounds. She was off to her bus stop walking down our front stair case and tipped over sideways due to the weight of the backpack when it shifted on her. Rolled and broke her foot. Her back pack was 25 pounds!!!! (I weighed it when she broke it) as I watched her tip sideways trying to walk down our staircase with that strapped to her back. And they must negotiate a bus up and down those stairs that are also not designed for munchkins carry more than half their body weight.

It is more a safety issue with so much weight strapped to their backs and not good for their growing bones and backs. If we think of ourselves daily walking with more than half our own body weight strapped to our backs every day we would be far more compassionate to young children. If we look at students and what they carry and how plump those backpacks are maybe our leaders would be more considerate for funding tablets as a solution to the changing educational theories. My daughter was in a wheelchair for 2 months in a full length cast and on a disability bus. Sometime it takes things like this to make some champions for changes in our educational system whether we are urban or rural school districts as it is an equal issue. Funding for such things shouldn't be by demographics. All kids should be protected.

Rant over. :)
I 100% agree with the weight thing.
When I was in high school and university.. was carrying 5-6 books of 500pages approximately. What was annoying (more like enfuriating). is we only used like 30 to 50 pages PER BOOK in all the classes that require those books. Yet we needed to bring them.
They were around 10 Kg or more. By the time I ended the university.. I ended hunched. My spine is not straight at all.

Cesar R M

just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy vol2.

Gods this movie was amazing!
Great story even if it deviates from the canon Marvel (The father of Peter Quill). Also has a ton of baby groot adventures...
Plus the most outrageous amount of after-credits scenes.. with a total of 4..
2 of them very funny and 2 that kinda sets up other events for the next movies.

theres also a lot of cameos in some scenes in the credits, which links to other possible movies. .Including Howard the Duck (2 scenes and one in the main movie itself) and the Collector's friend in THOR Ragnarog also making an appearance.. (with an hilarious dance)

Figgy1

Premium Member
It is beyond crazy and no end in sight. Even the sidewalks are rivers. Light posts again under water, bushes and trees again.
The Trees maybe happy but I am not. Pretty certain the beavers on the river have been displaced once again. I can hear the rain slapping against the window, the wind is nasty.

Sympathy like. Do you need to borrow my row boat or has it gotten to the point of needing an arc? Stay safe my friend.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I almost feel sorry for my boys because winter came in in such a way last year they never did finish doing fall clean up and now they are doing it this weekend. On a happier note my mint survived but has crept out of the garden into the lawn( note to self better move some of it before mowing starts next week) Also on my to do list root some citronella plants. I may have mentioned this before but we put a few out on the deck and around our property and they mosquitos stay away. Not bad being only a block and a half uphill from the lake:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
But things have changed so much since we were in school. Laws changed for copy writing. Teachers could not just copy a workbook sheet anymore and half or more text books came home with my kids.

Me I have a real pet peeve with teachers sending young kids home with so many text books in our district though I don't know what they were really to do about it. They too were ham-stringed. My DD was in 3rd grade, a mere 43 pounds. She was off to her bus stop walking down our front stair case and tipped over sideways due to the weight of the backpack when it shifted on her. Rolled and broke her foot. Her back pack was 25 pounds!!!! (I weighed it when she broke it) as I watched her tip sideways trying to walk down our staircase with that strapped to her back. And they must negotiate a bus up and down those stairs that are also not designed for munchkins carry more than half their body weight.

It is more a safety issue with so much weight strapped to their backs and not good for their growing bones and backs. If we think of ourselves daily walking with more than half our own body weight strapped to our backs every day we would be far more compassionate to young children. If we look at students and what they carry and how plump those backpacks are maybe our leaders would be more considerate for funding tablets as a solution to the changing educational theories. My daughter was in a wheelchair for 2 months in a full length cast and on a disability bus. Sometime it takes things like this to make some champions for changes in our educational system whether we are urban or rural school districts as it is an equal issue. Funding for such things shouldn't be by demographics. All kids should be protected.

Rant over. :)

Wow. Sorry to hear about your daughter's injury. That's awful.

Maybe my siblings and I were just lucky--we never had any injuries from carrying our books to and from school.

MySmallWorldof4

I almost feel sorry for my boys because winter came in in such a way last year they never did finish doing fall clean up and now they are doing it this weekend. On a happier note my mint survived but has crept out of the garden into the lawn( note to self better move some of it before mowing starts next week) Also on my to do list root some citronella plants. I may have mentioned this before but we put a few out on the deck and around our property and they mosquitos stay away. Not bad being only a block and a half uphill from the lake:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
Mint can definitely take over a garden. My sister in law planted chocolate mint for us in the garden last year. We did our garden this weekend and it had grown so much, so I had to pull most of it out. I left a small bit of it in a corner away from the other plants. Citronella is a great idea. I should get some of those for around our deck. Gotta keep those disease carrying mosquitoes away.:eek::eek::eek:

BAChicagoGal

My nephew has MS. Today is the MS Walk at Soldier Field in Chicago. I was suppose to attend with some family members. However, they called and cancelled due to the cold and rain that is being forecast for today. I admit to not knowing much about these events, but I was looking forward to learning while attending. The Walk is happening rain or shine. I hope the outcome is successful despite the weather.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
92 here today. Chilly!

Eventually we will get our 90's as well and that will be fine I won't complain. In fact in past years I couldn't wait for the 90's. I will remind myself of sub-zeroes and then 90's will feel glorious! But for some reason this spring I have really been appreciating the mid 50's-low 70's we have gotten. It just seems perfect, I can go outside and not be freezing and do activity without getting super sweaty. But I guess the 50-70's is your typical winter, so you know how great it is.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Good memories. I can't remember you speaking of either your or your hubs folks in the past. Are they all 'still with us'??? I hear you speak of your siblings.

My mom passed away 5 years ago and my dad is now living in Florida (our relationship is so-so). My sister and her family live about 40 minute away from me, so my niece visits frequently, it is like we are her Young grandparents. My husband's parents have both passed and his sister and their families live in Michigan and in the Chicago area. Thankfully not too close!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

Start building your ark! ;) We are in for 2 days of rain as well. Not as much as you though. Stay on that 2nd story!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy vol2.

Gods this movie was amazing!
Great story even if it deviates from the canon Marvel (The father of Peter Quill). Also has a ton of baby groot adventures...
Plus the most outrageous amount of after-credits scenes.. with a total of 4..
2 of them very funny and 2 that kinda sets up other events for the next movies.

theres also a lot of cameos in some scenes in the credits, which links to other possible movies. .Including Howard the Duck (2 scenes and one in the main movie itself) and the Collector's friend in THOR Ragnarog also making an appearance.. (with an hilarious dance)

Good to know it was enjoyable. I think hubs and I will be seeing it this weekend. He finally has a Saturday free so we are planning to go to the nearby Arboreteum to see all the flowering tulips and other plants and then we will probably end up at the movies.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
My mint never comes back, I wonder if that is because it is planted in a pot instead of the ground?
I was thinking about my spring planting, which is really just flowers and in pots, today and I was thinking about planting citronella (although it isn't a flower really). Actually I was thinking about mostly getting some citronella, geraniums, and marigolds because they are very hardy (as I forget to water) and they keep away bugs. I will get some herbs too like basil, parsley, mint (mojitos!) and maybe some oregano. Our FFA kids sell some flowers and vegetables so I might get a few tomato plants from them this year too. I'm getting the spring itch to plant my pots and do a big spring cleaning of the house.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom