FigmentJedi

It certainly feels like a continuation of the techniques used in the Shanghai Pirates ride, that is, almost everything is projection but WDI tries really hard to find new ways to have the projection interact with the physical sets. I especially like the shadows of the little helicoptery lizard things crawling on the leaves above you.
You see, I think the emphasis on screens over at Shanghai Pirates works because it's a more excitingly paced adventure that spends half of its time underwater with creatures that swim and the other half on swashbuckling.
River Journey is a more relaxed trip through the Pandoran rainforest. It's not really an attraction about evading bad guys in mech-suits or hungry Space Panthers, but rather nature's tranquility. The projections of creatures walking between the bushes could just as easily be AAs grazing, drinking or relaxing now that there aren't any military dudes wandering around with guns and stuff.

Bairstow

While it's nothing to book a trip for by itself, I think the entire package is incredible. So stoked they built a boat ride that is literally just an experience. No story, just sight seeing. It looks incredible.

That's definitely something to celebrate.
I like to imagine that at some point during a planning meeting some WDI imagineer asked, "but what's the story?" and Joe Rohde threw him out a window.

You see, I think the emphasis on screens over at Shanghai Pirates works because it's a more excitingly paced adventure that spends half of its time underwater with creatures that swim and the other half on swashbuckling.
River Journey is a more relaxed trip through the Pandoran rainforest. It's not really an attraction about evading bad guys in mech-suits or hungry Space Panthers, but rather nature's tranquility. The projections of creatures walking between the bushes could just as easily be AAs grazing, drinking or relaxing now that there aren't any military dudes wandering around with guns and stuff.

Could be and probably should be.
If Disney were to build Living with the Land today, I wonder how many projections of jaguars and alligators there would be.

ASD-06192016_-_21.jpg

Casper Gutman

The other thing is that they've been selling this whole expansion as "We're bringing this full CGI world to physical life even though some would say this is impossible". And they have been good on that with their efforts to simulate the floating mountains and building all the weird plants, I was expecting them to give us some fully three-dimensional Pandoran megafauna. Especially when that's the reason they've even put this movie into Animal Kingdom.

One has to wonder if they wouldn't have been much better off trading the one amazing AA for five or so pretty good AAs.

It sort of parallels Kong at IoA: a bunch of screens with one impressive AA right at the end. The screens are better integrated in Pandora while Kong is longer and features some additional bells and whistles (the big doors opening, the multiple drivers, etc.), but they both seem born of the same troubling design philosophy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It certainly feels like a continuation of the techniques used in the Shanghai Pirates ride, that is, almost everything is projection but WDI tries really hard to find new ways to have the projection interact with the physical sets. I especially like the shadows of the little helicoptery lizard things crawling on the leaves above you.
Wonder how many parts wavy-arm-lady shares with Ursula.

The better touch is the leaves moving based on those projections. That and the AA are great. The rest.. feels kind of predictable and flat.

The projection integration looks pretty good. They keep getting better with it. I don't have a problem with it when used well. It is kind of tough tho when it is 'all you get' (aka Mexico Pavilion, If you had wings, etc etc)

FigmentJedi

While it's nothing to book a trip for by itself, I think the entire package is incredible. So stoked they built a boat ride that is literally just an experience. No story, just sight seeing. It looks incredible.
There's probably a preshow we haven't seen online yet explaining that we're being invited to a special ceremony in the woods. Would explain why you see that whole Na'vi tribe walking through the woods before you meet the Shaman.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The other thing is that they've been selling this whole expansion as "We're bringing this full CGI world to physical life even though some would say this is impossible". And they have been good on that with their efforts to simulate the floating mountains and building all the weird plants, I was expecting them to give us some fully three-dimensional Pandoran megafauna. Especially when that's the reason they've even put this movie into Animal Kingdom.

I mean.. the plants are key to place making the whole thing... but I really don't visit a theme park to look at plants. Feeling New Fantasyland vibes right now....

Atomicmickey

The issue isn't that the design and merchandise of the Avatar project borrows from existing world cultures- it's that by using the same corporate effort to present and market culture "authenticity", the Avatar project brings in to stark relief the company's previous efforts to do the same with the Africa and Asia lands. People have sometimes described Disney's Animal Kingdom as, "Third World Tourism ****ography", in that large portions of the park are dedicated to collating some of the more singular sights and sounds from the designers' endless world fact-finding tours, but most especially those that depict foreign poverty, in order to convey a more heightened sense of the exotic. There's a very thoughtful essay about the park, pre-Avatar available here. Amalgamated, semi-fictional places (Harambe, Anandapur) are created in order to avoid the designers being tied to a specific place or culture, and these intentionally "exotic" culture stews are then presented as part of a wider, park-wide narrative that is ostensibly about mankind's relationship to animals. That's always been one of the key differences in the Animal Kingdom's approach from most other theme parks. Unlike say, the Wizarding World at Universal, where the magic and castle are all presented as real and the overlying message is, "Isn't this cool?," the subtext from what's presented at the Animal Kingdom has always been, "You need to learn something from the way these people live." What is different now is that by using the same narrative and design techniques seen in the other lands ("authentic", "cultureally-inspired" merchandise in the gift shops, pseudo-"ethnic" garb for the cast members, etc.) is that the park is going to put a 2009 James Cameron film on an equal topical footing as aesthetically distilled notions of "Asia" and "Africa." I don't envision anyone from the social justice/culture appropriation sphere raising "pitchforks" over this, my observation is simply that by adopting the same theme park design techniques and modes as the other lands, the Avatar project is serving as a satire, intentional or not, of the rest of the park.

It's the self-parody, not any potential offense, that I find interesting and amusing, and I would love to know what sort of internal conversations were had about this.

Interesting thinking . . . and thanks for the link to that excellent article.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it "satire". They are taking the same approach to a fictional world as they have to the real world, to lend it an air of authenticity. It is a theme park, after all. I'm going to look at it as being more "consistent in approach, no matter the subject matter", FWIW, and perhaps appreciate it more for the fact that there was no Pandora to go to for a research trip, that the "authenticity" is pure imagination, whole cloth.

That said, your musings, and that depth of thought about what exactly is going on here in a real and meta-sense are
a part of the theme park experience that is endlessly fascinating to me. As we move from "lands with rides" into an
era of wholly immersive environments, these questions will only get more interesting, and it remains to be seen how
the guests will interact with this new type of experiential entertainment. Star Wars Land is going to be an entirely
other level, I think. For better or worse, you know Joe Rhode does think about things in this way, and every iota of the place is intentional design with a thought process behind it. Nothing is left to accident--and so is open to questions about why, and how it came to be. There could be entire courses on this stuff.

Fun thinky bits, I say.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom