Was Magic Kingdom's POTC damaged by the movie refurb?

HMF

I'll make one quick point about implied rape in the PotC ride.

The original chase scene had three gags in it:
1) The "pooped pirate" holding the slip of a woman, most likely the one behind him in the barrel
2) a pair of pirates chasing women
3) a woman chasing a pirate (which you can see at 21:20 in this video)

That third gag ONLY works, if you believe the woman was after the man for pleasure and because you assume this based on its proximity to the other two chases. Said pirate is none to happy about being chased, and he has nothing of value on him to imply that he stole something, is trying to or has worth taking from him. The woman in question just wants HIM, and even if you think it's just for kissing and cuddling, it's still not consensual (and that's the joke...the man is the victim). It doesn't matter that they're robots. The ride is a work of fiction, just like any movie or stage play. The medium doesn't change the message, which in this case was "pirates will be pirates".

Whether or not you think this joke was appropriate for a Disney theme park is another matter, and why the scene was changed in the US parks. However, to suggest there is no implication of rape AT ALL is ridiculous. It would be like saying the plantation workers in Song of the South were never technically slaves becuase we don't see life on the plantation before the end of the Civil War.

Now to be accused of digging up AND beating a dead horse and being all sorts of sinful things for putting such thoughts into writing. :cautious::D
Are the completely socially acceptable actions of Torture, Theft, borderline prostitution, alcoholism and arson not clearly depicted in the same ride? Prior to Captain Jack Sparrows arrival the Pirates really were not being depicted as role-models. In fact if you think about it the message at the end of the current version of the ride is very morally objectionable.

MrConbon

What do people think happens with a bride? They just help clean the house? No they have sex. The pirates were buying them to have sex. You can feel like they aren't and have a more positive outlook on it. But history shows that women were bought and sold for sex. Saying it's a Disney ride doesn't negate real world history.

Animaniac93-98

Are the completely socially acceptable actions of Torture, Theft, borderline prostitution, alcoholism and arson not clearly depicted in the same ride? Prior to Captain Jack Sparrows arrival the Pirates really were not being depicted as role-models. In fact if you think about it the message at the end of the current version of the ride is very morally objectionable.

They are, and I have no problem with the way they are presented. But I'm not blind to the fact that they exist or that others may find them unacceptable. It's their loss though, as the ride is still one of Disney's best.

Goofyernmost

They are, and I have no problem with the way they are presented. But I'm not blind to the fact that they exist or that others may find them unacceptable. It's their loss though, as the ride is still one of Disney's best.
Well, that is one of the great things about any theme park, if one personally objects to things they have the right not to subject themselves to it. They DO NOT have the right to attempt to prevent others from experiencing things. That is what I object to... the "I don't like it... so you cannot see it" attitude means that they are enlightened and others are in need of saving.

yedliW

It'd be nice if the software would automatically label any thread older than six months with a "ZOMBIE BUMP" alert.

I think its funny when people ask a question that has been answered on page 14 of a previous thread, and everyone posts a link to that thread.. but if someone takes the time to read through one of the older threads and posts in it.. everyone looses their $h!t about it.. it's almost like you can't win on some of theses boards..

But what do I know.. :)

mergatroid

What do people think happens with a bride? They just help clean the house? No they have sex. The pirates were buying them to have sex. You can feel like they aren't and have a more positive outlook on it. But history shows that women were bought and sold for sex. Saying it's a Disney ride doesn't negate real world history.

That's good of you but I'm ok knowing the truth thanks. For what it's worth, I'd definitely go for the redhead :cool:

Sonic Sunglasses

Well, that is one of the great things about any theme park, if one personally objects to things they have the right not to subject themselves to it. They DO NOT have the right to attempt to prevent others from experiencing things. That is what I object to... the "I don't like it... so you cannot see it" attitude means that they are enlightened and others are in need of saving.
To borrow from Mark Twain, that "enlightened" attitude is much like telling a grown man he can't have steak because a baby can't chew it. It truly is an offensively self-righteous stance for anyone to take.

As to whether the refurbs to include theming from the PotC films have ruined the ride? Absolutely not. While I don't agree with every choice made, I still love the ride as much as when I first rode it in 1971.

Last edited:

Dj Corona

I'm not going to go through all 13 pages, (I went through 3) but in response to the OP, it's a big Y-E-S for me that the movie refurbishment pretty much ruined the ride for me and my family in some ways. I don't mind the Davy Jones "mist curtain" (when the projection is actually working), but I'd happily go back to the pirate parrot outside, the sea shanty version of "Yo-Ho" that used to play all throughout the ride, the talking skull before the first drop, and especially the old treasure room scene. Not to mention, and I was never sure if it was natural, or a pumped in smell, but that sort of "musty" odor in the queue really set the tone for the ride. Over the years though, when it came to why they did the refurbishment to begin with, (and I'm sure there are MANY more people here with better information then I) was between Pirates 1 & 2, so many people were going to Guest Relations, and complaining why wasn't the ride more like the movie, having no idea which came first.

thomas998

I kind of like the movie overlays, it at least ties the ride to movies which prior to that happening just didn't make much sense. I only wish they would make sure the effects would work. Frankly I think they could do with adding in some more movie bits and removing some of the original stuff that's kind of tired. I want to see the monkey in there somewhere.

Surfin' Tuna

Why did someone have to bring this back to life? I had almost forgotten how much better the PoTC was before it became the Jack Sparrow ride. It was a ride about pirates being...I dunno...pirates! They weren't good guys; they did bad things. We all get that and they didn't get out of it alive. Now have a strangely different ride with Johnny Depp lookalikes everywhere and a mermaid? I get them feeling all new rides have to be all about IP, but I just don't get why wildly loved and successful rides from the past have to be ruined.

Bairstow

Why did someone have to bring this back to life? I had almost forgotten how much better the PoTC was before it became the Jack Sparrow ride. It was a ride about pirates being...I dunno...pirates! They weren't good guys; they did bad things. We all get that and they didn't get out of it alive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom