Wannabe Photographer

thomas998

People spend hundreds or thousands on hobbies only they see and enjoy all the time. I guess I don't see this as being a deciding factor. Some just enjoy the challenge of seeing what they can do with the right equipment.
That is true.... but when your hobby is taking photos it is very easy to slip into an almost out of body experience where you aren't really there in the moment enjoying the vacation you are only viewing it through a viewfinder completely oblivious to the experience itself. Like when you see news footage of some horrible act like a beating, if you think about it the guy taking the video could have easily done something to stop it whether stepping in, yelling at the attacker or simply calling for help.... yet in that moment the guy behind the camera was not really there in the moment just a viewer looking in a viewfinder.... That's the point where the hobby start interfering with your vacation, unless of course your goal from the start was to go to Disney simply to take photos which may happen but I doubt most of the people you see at Disney with cameras planned the vacation with taking pictures are the main goal.

Rider

Don't be scared. I think your last plan is fine. I just wanted to say that I wouldn't take those kinds of photos because I wouldn't think them unique enough to share.

But if you enjoy it and have the cash to spend on the perfect lens for dark rides go for it.

thomas998

I thought I should make a little update of what my intentions are so that anyone joining in will know where I'm at. I will be buying the Sony A6000 or Nikon D5500. I will also be buying a 50mm f/1.8 lens for whichever camera I choose. I won't buy any additional lens until I learn a little more about photography in general. I also have Understanding Exposure on order and our local Library is having a photography class in 2 months that I'll be joining.

The issues I'm having on deciding are just because of my lack of knowledge on things like, if the number focal points make a difference and the Max ISO between the two. The weight and battery life aren't affecting my decision.. Ahhh decisions decisions. So far I haven't heard much from the DSLR fans.
Okay... If you have decided that it is going to be down to those two camera, you are concerned with high ISO... Go with the Nikon. It has the best high ISO between those two. Both of them go up to 25600 but the Nikon has more detail at the highest end. But you wont want to go that high on either one because the photos are pretty unusable at the extremes in low light situations. If you want to look at test shots from both camera of the same subject I recommend the following site, the guy doing the testing sets up the same subjects and has done both of the cameras you are looking at.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Just select each of the camera and then pick the sample photos for both... He's done the same subject from the lowest ISO to the highest so you can compare the results. Make sure you open full sizes of the photos and then zoom in so you can see the level of detail you lose at the higher ISOs.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Okay... If you have decided that it is going to be down to those two camera, you are concerned with high ISO... Go with the Nikon. It has the best high ISO between those two. Both of them go up to 25600 but the Nikon has more detail at the highest end. But you wont want to go that high on either one because the photos are pretty unusable at the extremes in low light situations. If you want to look at test shots from both camera of the same subject I recommend the following site, the guy doing the testing sets up the same subjects and has done both of the cameras you are looking at.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Just select each of the camera and then pick the sample photos for both... He's done the same subject from the lowest ISO to the highest so you can compare the results. Make sure you open full sizes of the photos and then zoom in so you can see the level of detail you lose at the higher ISOs.
I would go with the Nikon as well. I have a D7100 that I absolutely love, and I have seen nothing but good things about the D5500.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Something worth considering about dark ride photos.

You are chasing something that will unfortunately come down to money. You'll hear people say "the camera and lens doesn't matter, its the photographer that counts". But when it comes to dark rides, it mainly comes down to equipment. If you give a Sony A7sII and a Sony A6000 to the same photographer, the results are going to be significantly better on the A7s. Of course, there is about a $3000 price different between the two.

I'm not saying that a great photographer with a lower spec camera cannot get better dark ride images than someone who doesn't know what they re doing with high priced equipment, but given equal skills, the better gear will win.

You'll probably never be happy with your dark ride results, because you will be comparing them to what you see on line, where people have put considerable time and money into chasing the best possible results.

My advice would be to not focus on trying to master the dark rides. Get a camera that performs well for the vast majority of shooting situations - portraits, landscapes, general family scenes.

If you are getting just a single lens, make it a wide to tele zoom (something like a 24-70 on a full frame or 16-50 on a crop) . You can't beat the flexibility, and it will let you get images that you would otherwise be unable to do.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
Something worth considering about dark ride photos.

You are chasing something that will unfortunately come down to money. You'll hear people say "the camera and lens doesn't matter, its the photographer that counts". But when it comes to dark rides, it mainly comes down to equipment. If you give a Sony A7sII and a Sony A6000 to the same photographer, the results are going to be significantly better on the A7s. Of course, there is about a $3000 price different between the two.

I'm not saying that a great photographer with a lower spec camera cannot get better dark ride images than someone who doesn't know what they re doing with high priced equipment, but given equal skills, the better gear will win.

You'll probably never be happy with your dark ride results, because you will be comparing them to what you see on line, where people have put considerable time and money into chasing the best possible results.

My advice would be to not focus on trying to master the dark rides. Get a camera that performs well for the vast majority of shooting situations - portraits, landscapes, general family scenes.

If you are getting just a single lens, make it a wide to tele zoom (something like a 24-70 on a full frame or 16-50 on a crop) . You can't beat the flexibility, and it will let you get images that you would otherwise be unable to do.
Dark rides are definitely a goal but not the main focus of my choice. My daughter is in a lot of plays and musicals and the settings aren't the brightest, my son also is in band and the concerts are also dimly lit. I'm expecting most of my pics to be outside or in a well lit area but wanted to make sure that I have some sort of lens that would work in a darker setting using an entry level camera.
With that info would you still recommend the A6000? Maybe I should note that I would also like to be able to take a few fast action shots and have a semi decent picture. I don't expect to have the quality of the photos that I see on here...at least not for a while. I suspect that it will take a few years and lots of mistakes to get there.

sporadic

Dark rides are definitely a goal but not the main focus of my choice. My daughter is in a lot of plays and musicals and the settings aren't the brightest, my son also is in band and the concerts are also dimly lit. I'm expecting most of my pics to be outside or in a well lit area but wanted to make sure that I have some sort of lens that would work in a darker setting using an entry level camera.
With that info would you still recommend the A6000? Maybe I should note that I would also like to be able to take a few fast action shots and have a semi decent picture. I don't expect to have the quality of the photos that I see on here...at least not for a while. I suspect that it will take a few years and lots of mistakes to get there.

Honestly, any of the modern bodies will take on the task you want to accomplish. It's really more about the lenses. Anytime you use dark and action in the same sentence, that means money. Nice bodies and bigger sensors will perform better in regards to noise in the higher ISO ranges, but you still need fast glass. You can easily spend around $2k for a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom. The below were taken with my old 7D, and any of the cameras you've been talking about it would beat it in the high ISO noise department. The lens was a 70-200 2.8 IS II, which was (and still is) and absolute gem. I sold it to fund my current kit, and can no longer get dark action shots like this until I decide to fork out $1600 for a Fuji 50-140 f/2.8. Point being, I'd pull the trigger on whatever body appeals to you now, get a nice walk-around zoom for it, and go from there. I'm not a Sony guy, so I can't comment on specific gear. After you get a feel for the camera and how the different focal lengths feel, then you can start thinking about adding primes or other lenses. Don't overwhelm yourself out of the gate, you'll have plenty of room to expand with any of the systems.

IMG_6459
by smerrick, on Flickr

IMG_6494
by smerrick, on Flickr

Last edited:

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
Honestly, any of the modern bodies will take on the task you want to accomplish. It's really more about the lenses. Anytime you use dark and action in the same sentence, that means money. Nice bodies and bigger sensors will perform better in regards to noise in the higher ISO ranges, but you still need fast glass. You can easily spend around $2k for a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom. The below were taken with my old 7D, and any of the cameras you've been talking about it would beat it in the high ISO noise department. The lens was a 70-200 2.8 IS II, which was (and still is) and absolute gem. I sold it to fund my current kit, and can no longer get dark action shots like this until I decide to fork out $1600 for a Fuji 50-140 f/2.8. Point being, I'd pull the trigger on whatever body appeals to you now, get a nice walk-around zoom for it, and go from there. I'm not a Sony guy, so I can comment on specific gear. After you get a feel for the camera and how the different focal lengths feel, then you can start thinking about adding primes or other lenses. Don't overwhelm yourself out of the gate, you'll have plenty of room to expand with any of the systems.

IMG_6459
by smerrick, on Flickr

IMG_6494
by smerrick, on Flickr
Thank you. That's good advice.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
What is your max budget?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
$900.00 I'm finding out that's not a lot for and expensive new hobby.
That would easily get you a D5500 with a few lenses for $797:
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D5500-...F8&qid=1493400459&sr=1-2&keywords=nikon+d5500
And then add in the fast 50mm as well for $132:
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-NIKKOR-manual-aperture-control/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1493400518&sr=1-4&keywords=nikon+d5500&refinements=p_89:Nikon,p_n_feature_six_browse-bin:6301416011
You're just over the $900, but you'll have 3 lenses to start as well.

fractal

New Sony A6000 w/16-50mm kit zoom, SD card, 2 extra batteries and charger and camera bag. $147 off for a price of $618. Heck, I might buy that for an extra body.

https://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Camera...404326&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=sony+a6000&psc=1

I just saw a nice SEL 50mm 1.8 OSS sold used on a Sony emount forum for $150.

As far as plays and musicals, the 50mm will work great IF you are close to the action ( within 20 yards or so). Plus the resolution of the sensor will allow aggressive cropping.

Get's tougher if further back. Good advise from @sporadic

thomas998

New Sony A6000 w/16-50mm kit zoom, SD card, 2 extra batteries and charger and camera bag. $147 off for a price of $618. Heck, I might buy that for an extra body.

https://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Camera...404326&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=sony+a6000&psc=1

I just saw a nice SEL 50mm 1.8 OSS sold used on a Sony emount forum for $150.

As far as plays and musicals, the 50mm will work great IF you are close to the action ( within 20 yards or so). Plus the resolution of the sensor will allow aggressive cropping.

Get's tougher if further back. Good advise from @sporadic
Getting good seats will always be key to getting good shots at your kids plays and such. You also should probably invest in a tripod at some point for the best results at school events... and don't be shy about getting in the isles to get as close as you need to be... yes is probably going to annoy someone but lets face it when was the last time you went to one of those school plays and didn't have some other parent getting in your way so they could get a picture of their kid... it is better to be blocking someone else's shot than being blocked by someone else... a few hours after the event no one will remember you blocking anyone but you'll have the photo forever.

fractal

New deals for Sony emount.

A6000 + 16-50mm + 55-210mm for $748.00 ($300 off).

The 55-210 is a decent long zoom but limited by it's aperture range of f/4.5 to 6.3. Both lenses are stabilized and would work best in daylight/good light.

The SEL 50mm 1.8 is also $50 off new for ($250) but I've seen them go for around $150 -$170 used.

So you could get for $1,000 + tax the following all new.

Sony A6000, 16-50mm zoom, 55-210mm zoom, and the 50mm 1.8 OSS.

https://www.adorama.com/isoa6000k3.html

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
Thank you @fractal for the link, I haven't seen that one before. I'm an currently looking at a used Sony with a few lens and external flash, if it falls through then I appreciate the new link. I have definitely decided to go with the mirrorless.

fractal

Thank you @fractal for the link, I haven't seen that one before. I'm an currently looking at a used Sony with a few lens and external flash, if it falls through then I appreciate the new link. I have definitely decided to go with the mirrorless.

I don't think you could have made a bad decision based on the options discussed, but I know you won't regret going mirrorless. Keep us posted!

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
This is a fantastic deal at BH Photo (great store) and would be a very good setup.

$748 and also includes a $50 gift card.
Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 16-50mm and 55-210mm Lenses
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ce6000y_b_alpha_a6000_mirrorless_digital.html
That is a fantastic deal!! If I hadn't bought my camera a few hours before that I definitely would have bought that!

I purchased the Sony A6000 it comes with the 16-50, and a 55-210 I did buy used, so fingers crossed. I also bought an extra lens, 50mm f/1.8! I bought it new through best buy, they had an open box price, plus lens's were on sale so double bonus for me. I also have the book Understanding Exposure coming which I hope arrives today. I'm very anxious to get everything and start practicing. Plus I'm very excited for the photography class at the library to start but that is a few months away now.

In the mean time please keep posting your own pictures. I love looking at everyone photo's and the different shots that you all do.

I'm sure I'll have many questions along the way. The first being is canned air ok to use when cleaning a camera? I want my used camera to be all shiny and new. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom