Bairstow

Does anyone else find it kind of amusing and a tiny bit troubling that "ethnically inspired" merchandise based on a fictional culture will be sold next door to the "ethnically inspired" merchandise based on the semi-fictional cultures of the Harambe and Anandapur areas of the park? I feel like by continuing the conventions of the rest of Animal Kingdom, Disney's thematic efforts on the Avatar project are approaching self-satire.

Disney Analyst

It is the Simpsons reference that concerns me. It is the only ride that ever made gave me motion sickness in Orlando.

I mean, you're going to be simulated to feel like you're on a bird like creature dipping and gliding through the air... In front of a giant screen, wearing 3D goggles... I think motion sickness is a real possibility unfortunately. May need gravol on standby.

dreamscometrue

It is the Simpsons reference that concerns me. It is the only ride that ever made gave me motion sickness in Orlando.
That reference concerns me too.
Anyway, because I'm a gentlemen, you go first. Then message me and tell me how you made out. ;)
(In all seriousness, I have to try this ride. And since the ride mechanism is different than the Simpsons, the feel might be completely different.)

flyerjab

I mean, you're going to be simulated to feel like you're on a bird like creature dipping and gliding through the air... In front of a giant screen, wearing 3D goggles... I think motion sickness is a real possibility unfortunately. May need gravol on standby.

When it started happening on the Simpsons ride, I just closed my eyes. The problem was that I waited too long. The nausea had already started.

Star Tours is hit and miss for me regarding motion sickness. And again once it started I closed my eyes and that helps tremendously. The other part of Star Tours that helps is that part midway through with C3PO and the hologram message. We will see. I am still excited to try it and hopefully it won't be too difficult. I still don't understand how this ride system works as far if you are suspended in the air out in the theater space.

flyerjab

That reference concerns me too.
Anyway, because I'm a gentlemen, you go first. Then message me and tell me how you made out. ;)
(In all seriousness, I have to try this ride. And since the ride mechanism is different than the Simpsons, the feel might be completely different.)

Something else that concerns me is if the person sitting above me has a sudden attack of motion sickness...if you know what I mean. It might always be better to be sitting in the top row on this ride. :hungover:

TalkingHead

Does anyone else find it kind of amusing and a tiny bit troubling that "ethnically inspired" merchandise based on a fictional culture will be sold next door to the "ethnically inspired" merchandise based on the semi-fictional cultures of the Harambe and Anandapur areas of the park? I feel like by continuing the conventions of the rest of Animal Kingdom, Disney's thematic efforts on the Avatar project are approaching self-satire.

So very kitschy.

Mike S

When it started happening on the Simpsons ride, I just closed my eyes. The problem was that I waited too long. The nausea had already started.

Star Tours is hit and miss for me regarding motion sickness. And again once it started I closed my eyes and that helps tremendously. The other part of Star Tours that helps is that part midway through with C3PO and the hologram message. We will see. I am still excited to try it and hopefully it won't be too difficult. I still don't understand how this ride system works as far if you are suspended in the air out in the theater space.
Closing your eyes makes it worse. Don't you listen to the warnings on Mission Space?

Re: Merchandise:

Do any of you think all the good merchandise will be sold out before September (when I go)? I'm not talking about the shirts and what not, I'm talking about the plush Ikrans or Nantangs (if they have them) and things like the translator and passport set.

I fell in love with a stuffed yeti backpack in 2006(!), and it literally took me 10 YEARS to get him! Apparently, they got rid of him because they thought he was "too scary". They dumbed him down basically to a snow ball, and I looked on ebay literally for years on and off and I finally got him in 2016!

Anyway, is anything like this expected to happen within 4 months or so? I mean, look at ebay. They are selling coffee mugs for 40-50$ a piece! The translator goes for 100$ (and it's prolly worth 40 max)!

Ebay and the scalpers ruin the joy that "super-fans" like me that just want to enjoy being able to "fly to Pandora", and not have to worry about the cool stuff being gone. I have waited years (and so have other Avatarians!) for my chance to go to Pandora for real, and the unique cultural items that the Na'vi are willing to share with us tawtute will be snapped up quicker than you can say "Shame on you!" :(

It's fine that you sell an item that you don't want anymore, but to buy it for say, 5-10$ and mark it up to 40, is just plain wrong! These guys are putting this stuff for sale even before they themselves have it, and us "commoners" who haven't the funds or access to the area, suffer.

Sorry for the rant, but it is unbelievably frustrating when these crooks do this. They KNOW it's wrong, but they do it regardless!

Anyway, is there a possibility that things sell out in 4-6 months? I was hoping Pandora was kind of a secret, a place where Avatars can go and not worry about culture being sold for quick bucks, but I don't know. Eywa, hear the voice of the ones who See, and guide the ones who do not See to remember:

Culture and dignity comes first, not profit.

I'm not talking to Disney, I'm talking to the get rich quick scammers on ebay (who peddle t-shirts that sell for 15$ on Pandora, mark it up 6 or seven times, and laugh!!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom