News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

britain

Do we think that will be as high as the berm will go? Regardless, I think the rock work will blend in well.

This green line represents the height of Mickey and Friends Parking. So, it's possible the rock 'berm' won't even be this high. But rumor has it that some of the peaks will be around or above Matterhorn height.

Like I said, I think this is worst case scenario.

upload_2017-4-26_15-41-47.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Do we think that will be as high as the berm will go?

Considering the rock work is halfway painted and they've begun to lay the railroad I doubt that it'll go any higher. Also what's there now looks very much like what was shown in the concept renderings.

Ismael Flores

i don't think they will be that tall. The show building right now is only visible a few feet above the tree line. I'm guessing that from that distance and that angle the mountain range will only peak out slightly over the green line you drew. although if its true that they might be as tall as matterhorn it will be quite interesting since the matterhorn is about 147 feet tall. i had thought that it would be closer to Cars Land which has a height of 125 feet at its tallest point.

I'm sure they will be more noticeable from critter country because of the height of the pathways there though

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Those plans weren't even secret. It was just site emergency instructions. There is much better stuff stored in those trailers. I figure if we fake our ids and enter the site. We could dress up like imagineers and get into those trailers. We would need a group of bloggers on top of the M&F structure to distract security. Once we get the plans, we can re-aim the dish and transmit them to waiting Rebel ships. Hopefully Moff Chapek doesn't nuke the site from orbit. Remember, rebellions are built on forum posts.
Someone keep the Bothans safe!

Cesar R M

I'll sit back and wait for the first story about a dad who has finally made it back to the hotel. After a LONG day of walking in near 100 degree heat, being shoulder to shoulder with thousands of people all trying to get out of the park at once after the fireworks were through. He's has three screaming children who have been crying about the lines and heat and being hungry all day. A teenage daughter who would rather die than be at Disneyland with him (and she's told him three times already just this day alone), a cranky wife who keeps giving him dirty looks and while she hasn't come out and said it, he KNOWS she blames him for the heat, lines, crowds, etc. When he FINALLY gets back to the hotel, and a guy dressed up as a Stormtrooper comes over to him in the hotel, and tries to get him to engage in a storyline, we can all sit by with popcorn and watch the violence unfold.
My bet is on the father. The stormtrooper couldnt land a single hit.

ctrlaltdel

I guess it all comes down to how high the peaks will be. I suppose Disney could go up to 199 ft if they wanted to. Heck, they could go taller than 200 ft and stick aircraft warning lights on top, since it is supposed to be a spaceport :p

britain

Tangent: What do you think they would have done for 300 ft tall Spacestation Earth at Westcot? Put aircraft warning lights at the top knowing that most people wouldn't be able to see the top of the sphere while in the park?

ctrlaltdel

Tangent: What do you think they would have done for 300 ft tall Spacestation Earth at Westcot? Put aircraft warning lights at the top knowing that most people wouldn't be able to see the top of the sphere while in the park?
Wouldn't they have had to to comply with FAA regulations? I wouldn't have had a problem with it. Epcot/WestCOT is/would've been much more grounded in reality than the castle parks anyways

vancee

Doesn't look too long before big thunder trail will be open? I'd think it be open far before they get the train running, I mean they did open it up that one day for some odd reason.

Old Mouseketeer

Talked to a RR attraction CM tonight (her daughter is dating my nephew). She said the DLRR bridges are all done and they are finishing the track. They will now start testing trains within weeks with a targeted opening in June/July. This is considerably accelerated from what I heard from a RR engineer some weeks ago (he said testing in Sept.). Not sure who to believe. I think the engineer would know more, but this info was more recent.

I heard from a CM on the ROA that they will begin filling the river next week, but that it may take some weeks to remove the submerged dam.

dweezil78

Not to get this thread off topic, but worth mentioning that there were press previews of Pandora in Animal Kingdom today and -- despite a short boat ride (as everyone already knew), the land itself is crazy impressive looking and a good indicator of the level of detail we should be seeing with this project. Sharing video as reference, but check out the threads in the WDW Avatar forum if you're seeking some discussion about it! :)

TP2000

Not to get this thread off topic, but worth mentioning that there were press previews of Pandora in Animal Kingdom today and -- despite a short boat ride (as everyone already knew), the land itself is crazy impressive looking and a good indicator of the level of detail we should be seeing with this project.

Thank you very much for sharing. I agree that the rock work here is very impressive, and it proves that the stunning (and larger and grander than Pandora) rock work of Cars Land is not just a one hit wonder for WDI. They really do pour lots of money and talent into environments now.

That said, it's unfortunate this is all for a movie and IP that almost no one cares about. They really are trying to flog the story here, God bless 'em, but it's a story that no kids or adults talk about or obsess about. Do I need to remind everyone of my annual Halloween updates in my very busy trick or treat neighborhood where absolutely no one in the last ten years has ever come to my door dressed as any Avatar character? What do you want to bet those Avatar souvenirs will sell like wool sweaters in July?

Also, those Pandora CM uniforms are boring and cheap looking.

Meanwhile, Star Wars is huge with Americans from 5 to 85. Just last week a neighbor was out teaching his kindergartner to ride a bike, and the kid was wearing the most awesome R2D2 helmet I've ever seen. A 5 year old, his 35 year old Dad, and the old codger next door all bonded over Star Wars.

If Disneyland opens Star Wars Land with the Episode IX movie premiere in early May, 2019, I think the pop culture world will implode under the weight of the biggest event of the 21st century. And the Santa Ana Freeway will be backed up for miles. A shame Colglazier botched the Eastern Gateway parking plan, cause they'll need it.

Last edited:

britain

That said, it's unfortunate this is all for a movie and IP that almost no one cares about. They really are trying to flog the story here, God bless 'em, but it's a story that no kids or adults talk about or obsess about. Do I need to remind everyone of my annual Halloween updates in my very busy trick or treat neighborhood where absolutely no one in the last ten years has ever come to my door dressed as any Avatar character? What do you want to bet those Avatar souvenirs will sell like wool sweaters in July?

I agree, but while watching the Pre-show for Flight of Passage on youtube, I was reminded of the old TestTrack pre-show, and the Dinosaur pre-show. And I thought to myself, this is solid attraction building. It could be totally unrelated to IP, and it's still good stuff. The fact that it is related to an IP is icing on the cake.

Granted, not very profitable icing, and I think the retailers are going to be disappointed. But looks like an excellent addition to the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom