News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

disney4life2008

Drizgirl is correct. Previous conversations included parking fees for both resort and non resort guests in addition to the possibility of resort fees for resort guest. Double whammy.

If I recall, a survey was sent to guests about the possibility of resort fees. And it seems when a survey is sent, they test it out first then implement it.

Aileen Marotta

Disney Vacations are a LUXURY! Making a reservation through Disney is pricey, even at the value resorts. They began to add "additional" charges for staying in buildings closer to the pools and food court. Then they started taking 2 bed bedrooms and turning them into "suits" with, 1 room with two double standard beds and an adjoining room with a kitchenette and a sofa bed, and charging for them the same price you would get at a room at the Contemporary. That experiment was profitable and they did the same thing at the Caribbean resort with the Pirate rooms. Then they leveled one entire wing from the Contemporary to built the Bay Lake Tower. Apparently that strategy worked like magic, bacause they decided to repeat the formula at the Grand Floridian and very recently they announced plans to continue the same plan with Port Oleans. It has been in a very fast pace and in an eye blink, Disney has become more a "RESIDENCE" type of place, than a "VACATION" type of place. Now, the "new" treat for all the loyal families who save and plan and dream to spend a little "MAGICAL" family time is a charge for use of a parking space. WOW!!!, I LOOOVVVEEE it, pretty soon they will start charging for electricity and water. Aside from the monetary gain they'll get for this outrageous charge is another HUGE reason. If you don't rent a car, you are detached from the world. You are completely dependent to what Disney has to offer. You can't go anywhere else for entertainment (Universal, Sea World, Nasa, ect) or food (Olive Garden, Carabas, Ihop) or shopping. The guest is at Disney's mercy. Fellas! Wake up and smell the economy! IT'S DOWN THE TUBES! & it's not getting better. It's going to be awkward when your resorts are no longer completely occupied during "holiday" season and your loyal guests say they are staying at La Quinta or at the Double Tree, instead of a Disney Resort.

CaptainAmerica

Fact: For the price of a standard Motel-6-sized room at Pop Century or Art of Animation you can get an entire suite with a kitchenette less than a 1/2 mile from Disney property.
Not when you add $60 a day for the rental car that you now need because you're not staying on property.

Aileen Marotta

Well, I know it's been a while, but now I'm back with some new news. I wish I could say it was good news, but I don't know how to see this as anything but bad.

WDW, by leadership of Bob Chapek, is planning to start charging resort fees and parking fees at all WDW resorts. They should begin as soon as new parking gate systems are installed. The thinking here is that Disneyland has charged for parking at the hotels for a long while now, and many other hotels around WDW also charge for parking. The resort fees are also the "industry standard" so the management believes that they will be able to get away with those with no worries.

From what I understand as far as resort parking:
The first 30 minutes will be free. $5/hr after that up to a max of $30.
Daily overnight self-parking will be $30 at the resorts. Valet will be raised to $50.
Although there is no validation planned currently for eating or shopping at the resort, evidently Tables in Wonderland members will still receive free valet parking, though that isn't set in stone.

The resort fees have not been decided upon yet, or if they have, the prices haven't leaked to me. If you have information about the fees or anything else, please drop me a message. I'm sure this thrills all of you as much as it does me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not when you add $60 a day for the rental car that you now need because you're not staying on property.
Don't forget the $20 parking fee to park your $60 rental car;)

It's probably still cheaper to stay off property and rent a car than stay on property and use Disney transportation, but it gets a little closer when you factor in the extra costs. Of course you can also eat some meals off property which probably saves you more than the cost of the car, especially if you have a place with a kitchen. It all depends on personal preference. For some people driving is a hassle and they don't want to deal with it while on vacation. Others couldn't care less about driving. Some people feel the character meals and other themed restaurants are a big part of their vacation while others don't see the value and maybe just want good food or a better value.

raven

Oh the places that car can take you though to save you much more money on things that Disney overcharges guests for. And, by the way, a lot of nearby resorts provide their own transportation to the parks. But even with a rental car you can come and go as you please, not stand around and wait for Disney transportation to give you a frightening 30 minute ride to your destination.

RobbinsDad

Don't forget the $20 parking fee to park your $60 rental car;)

It's probably still cheaper to stay off property and rent a car than stay on property and use Disney transportation, but it gets a little closer when you factor in the extra costs. Of course you can also eat some meals off property which probably saves you more than the cost of the car, especially if you have a place with a kitchen. It all depends on personal preference. For some people driving is a hassle and they don't want to deal with it while on vacation. Others couldn't care less about driving. Some people feel the character meals and other themed restaurants are a big part of their vacation while others don't see the value and maybe just want good food or a better value.
All valid points. Hence the reason why WDW resort is already so much more expensive vs. the value of the actual room than off-site options. Adding a resort fee on top of this is simply greed. No one will be able to convince me otherwise.

CaptainAmerica

All valid points. Hence the reason why WDW resort is already so much more expensive vs. the value of the actual room than off-site options. Adding a resort fee on top of this is simply greed. No one will be able to convince me otherwise.
"Greed" has nothing to do with it, it's just stupid. There's zero financial difference to Disney of adding a $20 resort fee versus just increasing prices by $20 across the board. Neither one is more "greedy" than the other, but the extra resort fee line item feels way worse to the guest.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"Greed" has nothing to do with it, it's just stupid. There's zero financial difference to Disney of adding a $20 resort fee versus just increasing prices by $20 across the board. Neither one is more "greedy" than the other, but the extra resort fee line item feels way worse to the guest.
Resort fees aren't greed. They are dishonest and should be illegal. The only reason resort fees exist anywhere is to trick consumers into thinking their room rate is lower than it actually is, particularly on a web search. It's not a Disney thing it's the whole industry. Any hotel or resort could just raise the room rate as opposed to a mandatory resort fee.

KrzyKtty

We stay at WDW resorts for the magic of the special rooms, and often the special pools. We also like the FP perks. However at the sheer cost of their moderate resorts, not sure if fees on top of it might break the magic for us a bit. Prolly say bye to WDW for a bit and visit others around the world. At least you get new experiences for the cost.

anchorman314

Oh the places that car can take you though to save you much more money on things that Disney overcharges guests for. And, by the way, a lot of nearby resorts provide their own transportation to the parks. But even with a rental car you can come and go as you please, not stand around and wait for Disney transportation to give you a frightening 30 minute ride to your destination.
Aside from a grocery store to get some snacks and bottled beverages, where else would most guests go? Personally, I don't go to WDW just to go to off-property restaurants that I can go to back home. And I'm not going to go to Walmart to buy souvenirs just because they cost less. When I go to WDW, I've accepted the fact that there is a significant markup.

Bocabear

We stay at WDW resorts for the magic of the special rooms, and often the special pools. We also like the FP perks. However at the sheer cost of their moderate resorts, not sure if fees on top of it might break the magic for us a bit. Prolly say bye to WDW for a bit and visit others around the world. At least you get new experiences for the cost.
The rooms at Cabana Bay literally blow any of the Disney moderates out of the water...more beautiful public spaces and pools too. Disney hotels lag way behind in quality...but their prices are much higher.

hanwill

To me, there is already a significant markup on the rooms, and now there is going to be more of a markup? Guess they are trying to free up hotel rooms. They are just trying to gouge the people that are still going. There's a line, Disney, and this might just cross it...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The government/FTC will have to figure that out. I am sure hotel companies would lobby to keep them...
I think we'll have to wait at least 4 years for any movement on this from the government. The current administration is very much against regulating businesses in any way so I can't see it happening any time soon. There was a bill that died in the Senate last year that would have made resort fees illegal. I'm sure hotels may lobby against it but consumer rights groups would be in favor as well as some states that have hotel taxes since resort fees are generally subject to regular sales tax but not subject to the additional hotel tax.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think we'll have to wait at least 4 years for any movement on this from the government. The current administration is very much against regulating businesses in any way so I can't see it happening any time soon. There was a bill that died in the Senate last year that would have made resort fees illegal. I'm sure hotels may lobby against it but consumer rights groups would be in favor as well as some states that have hotel taxes since resort fees are generally subject to regular sales tax but not subject to the additional hotel tax.

I think if you see changes...it would be outside of legislation from Congress...thinking more like FTC and/or judicial hearings. Not sure you need to pass a law to change the way these charges are currently being handled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom