The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

To each his own I guess...I also can't stand to listen to Adelle, while most people worship her voice.
My problem with Adele is her lack of enunciation. It's one of my three pet peeves that will turn me off, the other two being note scooping and not dropping one's jaw enough. Although I agree; she doesn't back off on the power enough. You listen to her verses, say, Barbra Streisand, and Barbra varies her voice much more. And you can understand Barbra. Adele, er, no.

MySmallWorldof4

My problem with Adele is her lack of enunciation. It's one of my three pet peeves that will turn me off, the other two being note scooping and not dropping one's jaw enough. Although I agree; she doesn't back off on the power enough. You listen to her verses, say, Barbra Streisand, and Barbra varies her voice much more. And you can understand Barbra. Adele, er, no.
One thing I have an issue with many "singers" today is so many seem to whine when they sing or shout. The music seems so digitized and sometimes you cannot understand what they are saying. I cannot stand most music today. I constantly switch radio stations in the car. Usually it's 70's or 80's. 90's are hit or miss. Usually miss. Streisand is okay. I like her singing voice but cannot stand when she talks. Barry Manilow, Billy Joel, Elton John are some of my favorite singers.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Oh I totally love the hand drawn ones. I prefer them as well. There is a little more heart in them. We were at Disney when they were doing the animation for Brother Bear and Home on the Range. It was so cool to watch the animators work. An animator gave us the tour when it was a short movie and then a tour of the studio. It was really amazing for me to see all that.

You were very fortunate to have a tour by one of the animators. I would love that. :inlove: :inlove:

Yet, now, I question just how much of a studio DHS will continue to be in the future. All those things like the backlot tour, the drawing classes, and an impromptu tour by an animator have probably all gone the way of the dodo bird. Anyway, I'm really happy for you that you had such a nice experience.

MySmallWorldof4

You were very fortunate to have a tour by one of the animators. I would love that. :inlove: :inlove:

Yet, now, I question just how much of a studio DHS will continue to be in the future. All those things like the backlot tour, the drawing classes, and an impromptu tour by an animator have probably all gone the way of the dodo bird. Anyway, I'm really happy for you that you had such a nice experience.
Yes. Obviously it is an experience I have never forgotten. That must be close to a decade or more ago.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Is that on DVD already? Maybe it's just over here that it just left theaters. I didn't see it...it just didn't look great to me and didn't interest me in the slightest. I'll watch it if it comes on Netflix.

I would like to read the Bridget Jones books, because the premise seems great. I just can not watch RZ. Same thing with Nicolas Cage...can't stand the way he talks. And my husband won't watch anything with Hugh Grant or Sean Penn. To each his own I guess...I also can't stand to listen to Adelle, while most people worship her voice. I think she does nothing but shout. It's a matter of taste. Some like chocolate, some like vanilla.

The movie Moana is on DVD here in the States. Hubs brought it home a couple weeks ago. I find it entertaining, not my favorite. But we have been to Hawaii a few times, so I have a soft spot for Hawaiian/Polynesian culture.

The Bridget Jones books are a good series. They were pretty hilarious, especially because when they came out I was just a few years younger than the main character and I could relate to the single girl (or singleton as Bridget says) lifestyle. The first movie was good, second one just okay, and I haven't watched the 3rd (but I know it doesn't follow the 3rd book at all). I am not a big Renee Zellweger fan either but in the first movie she played the part really well.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
So I had one of my 8th graders argue with me today about the Beauty and the Beast movie. She claims that Emma Watson didn't do her own singing in the movie and everything I've seen said she did sing. Anyway, neither of us had a way to prove our argument (neither of us had our computer phones on us), so we dropped it. Although, I wanted to tell the girl, "Do Not question my Disney knowledge, EVER!" But that didn't seem very professional. So I just told her to look it up and get back to me.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

So I had one of my 8th graders argue with me today about the Beauty and the Beast movie. She claims that Emma Watson didn't do her own singing in the movie and everything I've seen said she did sing. Anyway, neither of us had a way to prove our argument, so we dropped it. Although, I wanted to tell the girl, "Do Not question my Disney knowledge, EVER!" But that didn't seem very professional. So I just told her to look it up and get back to me.
Don't you love middle school know it alls? :rolleyes: :hilarious:

donaldtoo

I guess it is likely because when I was growing up there wasn't a great deal of fast food franchises around. We as a family had our favorite restaurants and pizza places some a lot more casual than others but growing up with fast food meals was not part of our life.

When maybe I was middle school age a burger king moved to town but it was cross-town. Maybe ate lunch there a few times a year as it was a drive not a walk. About the same time we also had a Yankee Doodle Dandy move to our side of town. There in my early teens we'd sometimes meet friends for lunch.
What I always remember being around and going to fairly regularly was Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors and Dairy Queen, earlier in life in the City it was a
Tastee-Freeze, there was also a House of Pies. Guess my town was more into
dessert. DQ stays open March till October. Boards go over the windows for the winter.
db301441ea8984c31cea570a49ca4160.jpg

The weird part of my McDonald-less childhood is the Original McDs was the very next town west of ours.
0f704e64dbd62970799f318e33aca292.jpg

As teens we'd go to that town but we never went to McDs. Just wasn't on our radar in the late 70's early 80's but in the 80s they franchised the heck out of McDs Not a big fan of most of their food but they certainly have the best french fries. Slurp. :hungry:

I have never heard of Yankee Doodle Dandy, but, I have heard of Tastee-Freeze and House of Pies, and definitely Baskin Robbins and DQ.
The last BR I ever remember seein' 'round here was down on 29th and Guadalupe (aka "The Drag") down by the UT campus, but, it closed ages ago.
As far as DQ goes, they're all over the place down here.

And, that Des Plaines McDonald's is the first Ray Kroc franchise. The original restaurant chain started in So Cal. :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_McDonald's

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
So today was the day we could start booking onboard activities & shore excursions for our June Disney Cruise, and at about 6pm tonight I thought I'd go on and see what was available and got an early port arrival time. I wasn't planning on doing anything really. I ended up booking a massage for myself, a brunch at Palo, and there was one cabana left for our first stop at Castaway Cay (it's a double dip). So I snagged the private cabana, it is expensive so I don't know if we will keep it. But I knew for sure I wouldn't be able to book it later, I knew I could cancel it easily later though. I will be turning 40 during this cruise so it might be a nice birthday present to myself. Our second day at Castaway Cay is actually on my birthday so it would have been nicer on that day but it was all sold out on that day.

MySmallWorldof4

So today was the day we could start booking onboard activities & shore excursions for our June Disney Cruise, and at about 6pm tonight I thought I'd go on and see what was available and got an early port arrival time. I wasn't planning on doing anything really. I ended up booking a massage for myself, a brunch at Palo, and there was one cabana left for our first stop at Castaway Cay (it's a double dip). So I snagged the private cabana, it is expensive so I don't know if we will keep it. But I knew for sure I wouldn't be able to book it later, I knew I could cancel it easily later though. I will be turning 40 during this cruise so it might be a nice birthday present to myself. Our second day at Castaway Cay is actually on my birthday so it would have been nicer on that day but it was all sold out on that day.
Excellent! Cannot wait to read the tr for this one!:)

donaldtoo

Yeah, spoiled gets spoken about a lot around here. Yep, it's me:)I am the spoiled one.:D But seriously, everything on this trip is prepaid down to souvenirs this time. I have a nice Disney Gift Card that should cover meals and kids have their own gift card for souvenirs. Now if we can just stick to those we are good!;)

Nice...! :)
The only major things on past trips we have not had prepaid was food and souvies, but we had the $$$ saved away for those.
The 2 years (summer of '12 and '13) we went when I was a Disney Store CM we even had the food prepaid in the form of the DDP with my 50% CM discount, so only OOP was souvies (I like pins)...! :)

donaldtoo

Oh that's so great your son's school was on top of the bullying! Ours has not been. DS has been bullied for YEARS. We thought it was going better last year...he had a teacher that I had actually been warned about that she was not nice and only yelled at the kids and it turned out she was the BEST teacher he had. She was so supportive of him and could really reach him before he had a meltdown and she made sure to come talk to me whenever there was any sort of incident so I would know what happened when DS talked about it. No other teacher ever did that...DS would tell me something and I would have to make an appointment with the teacher to find out what happened. So we LOVED this teacher and she was great with him and he had a great year last year. This year, we weren't even through the first week before I was called in because there were problems, and we tried an after-school program that did not help, and several of the kids who DS THOUGHT were his friends suddenly said they weren't, and he was sitting alone at recess because if he tried to play with the other kids, they ganged up on him and decided to play new games that generally involved kicking a soccer ball as hard as they could at him. And then the new girl arrived and they completely clicked, but she was warned off and when she didn't comply, the kids drew on her gym clothes, took stuff from her desk, pushed her off of playground equipment...it took 6 weeks for them to drive her off and her mom apped me and told me she was so sorry her daughter was not going to be able to play with DS anymore because she was too scared. The school has basically pushed it onto DS...if he acted "normal", the other kids wouldn't target him. So we have to get HIM help so that HE doesn't get bullied instead of ensuring the bullies stop bullying. There was a period towards the end of last year that I was in the school 3 times a week for meetings with teachers and support staff to set up the testing, filling out behavioral questionnaires, writing up step plans for DS's safety at recess, etc. I'm sure you understand all about that and how emotionally exhausting it all is. But you have got it mostly worked out now, correct? So I'm hopeful that once we get the diagnosis, we can get a plan in place and get things moving in the right direction.
Let's not kid ourselves...you are not going to take up napping! :p But I'm glad things are going well, and yay for the knives fulfilling their destiny! I use mine every day...I have basically the same ones. My dad has just given me so many over the years that I've had to parcel them out among friends and family to make sure they have good homes where they won't just sit in a box. I just can't use 40 knives! I have 5 that I use pretty regularly and a couple more in the drawer that rarely see any action. So I'm glad you can get some use out of a few and it's a nice reminder of the trip. Isn't the Poly amazing? Have you ever stayed there? It's now on my bucket list just from seeing the lobby and eating at O'hana (pretty sure I spelled that wrong). I told hubby that we need to win millions in the lottery so we can take a 2 week vacation to Disney every Summer and stay at a different resort every time, starting with the Poly.

I have to admit, I'm a bit startled that this kind of stuff is continuously ongoing with your DS where y'all live.
I have always heard good things about the Netherlands in so many ways.
As I posted earlier, when it came to our DS, and other students with special needs, the staffs at all 3 of his schools didn't take any carp from any students when it came to bullying those kiddos, or any other bullying they found out about, for that matter.
I understand it also depends so much on the staff team dynamics, etc., as well, but it just seems ridiculous at this point.
Hopefully, a diagnosis will make staff reevaluate their attitudes.
But, also, as we well know, a diagnosis can bring so many other issues with it, as well.
As I've posted before, and as you well know yourselves, it is all so frustratingly confusing, so much of the time.
But, we love them with all our hearts, and we do the best we can for them, no matter what.
Continued prayers, for some resolution, and a bright future for him with the right attention to help him deal with his struggles.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom