The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We were first introduced to McD's when we moved to No Cal in '68. I remember the Big Mac had just come out nationwide.
By far and away, the majority of our meals were home cooked by mom, but, we were treated pretty often as well. I've already mentioned Shakey's Pizza, and McD's, but, another place I have good memories of is Burger Pit...everything (they had steaks as well) was charbroiled, and the place always smelled sooo good...! :hungry:
I don't remember doing any cafeteria places 'til we moved back to Texas. Furr's and Luby's. And, again, it wasn't very often, as most of our meals were still homemade.
And, of course, we went to the occasional BBQ and Tex-Mex places...! :hungry: ;) :)

McD's and Burger Pit as I remember the style of those places way back when... :)

View attachment 196239View attachment 196241

I guess it is likely because when I was growing up there wasn't a great deal of fast food franchises around. We as a family had our favorite restaurants and pizza places some a lot more casual than others but growing up with fast food meals was not part of our life.

When maybe I was middle school age a burger king moved to town but it was cross-town. Maybe ate lunch there a few times a year as it was a drive not a walk. About the same time we also had a Yankee Doodle Dandy move to our side of town. There in my early teens we'd sometimes meet friends for lunch.
What I always remember being around and going to fairly regularly was Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors and Dairy Queen, earlier in life in the City it was a
Tastee-Freeze, there was also a House of Pies. Guess my town was more into
dessert. DQ stays open March till October. Boards go over the windows for the winter.
db301441ea8984c31cea570a49ca4160.jpg

The weird part of my McDonald-less childhood is the Original McDs was the very next town west of ours.
0f704e64dbd62970799f318e33aca292.jpg

As teens we'd go to that town but we never went to McDs. Just wasn't on our radar in the late 70's early 80's but in the 80s they franchised the heck out of McDs Not a big fan of most of their food but they certainly have the best french fries. Slurp. :hungry:

StarWarsGirl

I don't know if you ever saw the original movie of "Can't Buy Me Love", that came out in 1987 I think(as you are in your early 20's), he played the lead character who was a total dork. I still see him as that guy. I don't "fancy" him too much.:D
I originally saw him in Enchanted. He's too old for me, but I like him as an actor.

I haven't see "Can't Buy Me Love", but don't assume just because I'm in my early 20s that I haven't seen a movie. I can be a bit of a film buff. ;)

93boomer

Premium Member
I must be the only person who's not a fan of Olive Garden:oops: In my defense I grew up in an area with some amazing mom and pop Italian restaurants and some of my friends had their grandmothers living with them and English was either their second or third language, 4th if you count Latin
No I don't like it either. I can make better tasting Italian dishes and home and save the money for other restaurants. ;)

Songbird76

In the petting zoo by Rafikis Planet watch. area after the train ride. I've seen some there but can't remember on which trip we saw sheep.
Oh we never did that. Our first AK day got rained out....it stormed so hard that they closed all outdoor stuff due to lightning. So once we had done all the shows, there was nothing left to do. We went to our Tusker House dinner and had to wait 30 minutes just to check in, and then another 20 for a table and the meal was so disappointing we just wanted to go back to our resort and call it a night. So that's what we did and we weren't really very excited about our 2nd AK day. It was better than the first, but we still left the park early and not very enthusiastic about AK. We had a REALLY hard time finding food there for DS. The saving grace was the wilderness stops where you could get the stickers...that was pretty much the only thing that the kids liked. Well, they liked Nemo and I think they liked Lion King (I slept through most of that one, so I am not sure how much they were or were not enjoying it.) But the rest they were pretty "meh" on, so we gave it up. So no, he definitely did not get to hug a sheep there!! If I'd have known there were sheep somewhere, I'd have made sure we made it there just so that DS would have had fun at AK...he was pretty miserable there. Sheep would have totally made him a fan. That would have been his favorite park. (The kid SERIOUSLY loves sheep...he's got several stuffed sheep and gets really excited every time we pass a flock on the highway.)

Songbird76

I love Bridget Jones. I like that the intention of the films is that Bridget is just so normal. She worries about her weight, she feels pressure from family and friends to settle down, she sometimes feels like her life is falling apart...she's so like the rest of us. Instead of being insanelt gorgeous and perfect, like many romcom heroines. I love romcoms, but the change is nice every now and then.

But I can understand the aversion to an actor or actress being a turnoff. I won't watch anything where Kristen Stewart makes an appearance, and I can't get into Star Trek Enterprise or NCIS: NOLA because of Scott Bakula.

Emma Thompson was also in Stranger Than Fiction. I normally am not a big Will Ferrel fan, but I love that movie.
I would like to read the Bridget Jones books, because the premise seems great. I just can not watch RZ. Same thing with Nicolas Cage...can't stand the way he talks. And my husband won't watch anything with Hugh Grant or Sean Penn. To each his own I guess...I also can't stand to listen to Adelle, while most people worship her voice. I think she does nothing but shout. It's a matter of taste. Some like chocolate, some like vanilla.

Songbird76

I guess it is likely because when I was growing up there wasn't a great deal of fast food franchises around. We as a family had our favorite restaurants and pizza places some a lot more casual than others but growing up with fast food meals was not part of our life.

When maybe I was middle school age a burger king moved to town but it was cross-town. Maybe ate lunch there a few times a year as it was a drive not a walk. About the same time we also had a Yankee Doodle Dandy move to our side of town. There in my early teens we'd sometimes meet friends for lunch.
What I always remember being around and going to fairly regularly was Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors and Dairy Queen, earlier in life in the City it was a
Tastee-Freeze, there was also a House of Pies. Guess my town was more into
dessert. DQ stays open March till October. Boards go over the windows for the winter.
db301441ea8984c31cea570a49ca4160.jpg

The weird part of my McDonald-less childhood is the Original McDs was the very next town west of ours.
0f704e64dbd62970799f318e33aca292.jpg

As teens we'd go to that town but we never went to McDs. Just wasn't on our radar in the late 70's early 80's but in the 80s they franchised the heck out of McDs Not a big fan of most of their food but they certainly have the best french fries. Slurp. :hungry:
What is the population of your town? You always refer to it like it's really small, but I grew up in a town where we had no fast food whatsoever. We had one little cafe and a bigger restaurant just outside of town...that was it. If you wanted anything else, you had to drive 40 miles. So I'm wondering if your "little" town isn't as little as I'm thinking, or if it has more to do with location and the fact that towns are closer together there.

MySmallWorldof4

Y
I originally saw him in Enchanted. He's too old for me, but I like him as an actor.

I haven't see "Can't Buy Me Love", but don't assume just because I'm in my early 20s that I haven't seen a movie. I can be a bit of a film buff. ;)
You are quite correct. Never assume anything. As a high school history teacher told me once never assume because look what the first 3 letters in assume spell. ;) If you are in the mood for a cheesy 80's teen movie, rent it.

MySmallWorldof4

I would like to read the Bridget Jones books, because the premise seems great. I just can not watch RZ. Same thing with Nicolas Cage...can't stand the way he talks. And my husband won't watch anything with Hugh Grant or Sean Penn. To each his own I guess...I also can't stand to listen to Adelle, while most people worship her voice. I think she does nothing but shout. It's a matter of taste. Some like chocolate, some like vanilla.
I won't watch a Sean Penn movie either.

The petting zoo at AK has sheep, goats, pigs, and other farm animals. My little girls loved it.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Really? I liked it. I thought the animation of the water was amazing. How I wouldn't have loved to jump in it. Yes, I agree with you that the music was very good.

I think what bugged me about it was the 3-D animation. I truly, truly, miss the beautiful old cartoon films when the artists used to draw all those cells. The older cartoon movies had such depth and flow (if you were to play DVDs of Bambi and Moana, on side-by-side monitors, you'd see immediately the dramatic difference). The movement of the newer 3-D animated images was almost "stiff" for me to watch. Actually, I found it somewhat distracting.

Now, if you've never seen the older cartoon movies, you might not even notice. But to me, I'm just not a fan of the new stuff. Disappointed . . . :(

MySmallWorldof4

I think what bugged me about it was the 3-D animation. I truly, truly, miss the beautiful old cartoon films when the artists used to draw all those cells. The older cartoon movies had such depth and flow (if you were to play DVDs of Bambi and Moana, on side-by-side monitors, you'd see immediately the dramatic difference). The movement of the newer 3-D animated images was almost "stiff" for me to watch. Actually, I found it somewhat distracting.

Now, if you've never seen the older cartoon movies, you might not even notice. But to me, I'm just not a fan of the new stuff. Disappointed . . . :(
Oh I totally love the hand drawn ones. I prefer them as well. There is a little more heart in them. We were at Disney when they were doing the animation for Brother Bear and Home on the Range. It was so cool to watch the animators work. An animator gave us the tour when it was a short movie and then a tour of the studio. It was really amazing for me to see all that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom