Trip Report Pop & Hop, Snack & Shop, Graduation Celebration - Sept 2016

We arrived home late last night and as usual, we are all in Disney depression mode. Seriously, the return to reality is so hard!

It was an AWESOME trip. However not without a few hiccups. Let’s just say that the name of my Trip Report could easily have been, “I Almost Killed My Husband In The Happiest Place On Earth” or… “”Did The Ride Just Stop?” or… “Bathrooms Around The World”

Needless to say that Disney Magic outshines small issues – even my husband’s behavior that almost landed him in Cinderella’s moat more than once.

Warning: I have some commitments over the next few weeks, so I’m not sure how much updating I will be able to do. But I wanted to start writing before my memory and notes start to fade away. Besides, I’m so sad – it helps to re-live it! Lol

For those of you who don’t know us – our cast of characters:

Me – Mary

IMG_8890.JPG

Ross – My hubby who drove me INSANE throughout our trip.

IMG_0348.JPG

Julia (14)

IMG_0480.JPG

Hope (7 with Autism & Sensory issues)

IMG_0286.JPG

What I didn’t mention in my Pre-Trip Report is that we were celebrating the fact that Julia is starting 9th grade this year. As homeschoolers, we have never acknowledged graduations or moving up ceremonies. So since my sweet girl is starting high school, I figured she deserved a Disney Celebration, so I had that put on our reservation.

Since Ross agreed to family shirts, I had my friend make them for us. Julia was surprised and really happy!

IMG_0552.JPG

So if you are ready to join in the fun & craziness… welcome aboard!!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So we stood there and waited and roasted. I kept Hope in her stroller so she could have the shade. I was completely miserable and looking back, I should have just walked away and watched somewhere else. I didn’t take many photos – that’s how uncomfortable it was. There was a person near us that had to be taken away in a stretcher!

At the end, I needed WATER! Seriously, we walked over to Tommorrowland Terrace area and I instructed Ross to go get us some water while the girls sat and cooled off. I walked into the bathroom to splash water on my face and I actually almost fainted! That’s how hot it was! A woman asked me if I was okay – I was so embarrassed! I was okay after I splashed some water on my face – but OMG NEVER AGAIN!! That sun was a killer!

I can empathize with your hot weather issues. I never do well in the heat, myself. Whenever I go to WDW (once a year), I actually have to leave the parks between approx. 2 p.m. and up to 4:30 p.m. or so, and just go and crash in my hotel room--turn on the a/c, and just chill out. Every day down there, I end up taking Advil for heat headaches.

Anyway, I find if I pace myself each day, I feel a lot better. That's the only way I can handle the Florida heat.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
I can empathize with your hot weather issues. I never do well in the heat, myself. Whenever I go to WDW (once a year), I actually have to leave the parks between approx. 2 p.m. and up to 4:30 p.m. or so, and just go and crash in my hotel room--turn on the a/c, and just chill out. Every day down there, I end up taking Advil for heat headaches.

Anyway, I find if I pace myself each day, I feel a lot better. That's the only way I can handle the Florida heat.

The weird thing is that I love the heat and usually do okay with hot weather but it was so crazy hot, I don't think I've experienced such brutal weather especially in the sun. Next time, I will definitely plan to stand in a better shady area.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
My husband falls asleep during the Carousel of Progress too. I don't think he has seen the entire show, it isn't that he doesn't want to see it but just that it is a cool dark place with seats. He falls asleep in Philharmagic too. So my new Disney goal is to make sure he seems the entire show. :)

lol Good Luck! I will admit I fell asleep on Spaceship Earth once.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 7 Continued...

After Ross woke up from his nap, we walked over to Adventureland.

thumb_IMG_0784_1024.jpg

Somehow along the way, Hope took a stumble and scraped her knee a bit.

thumb_IMG_0783_1024.jpg

Ross decided he wanted a camel to spit on him.

thumb_IMG_0785_1024.jpg

Julia and I wanted a Dole Whip, but the line was tremendous! So we skipped it.

We had a FP for Pirates but Hope was VERY hesitant to go on. She went once before on a previous trip and didn’t like it. With Hope, my life is a game of puzzles and mysteries. I am always trying to understand what bothers her, why it bothers her and to what extent. Funny how I always took for granted how Julia just told me how and why she felt the way she did.

Yes – you probably guessed, it was a Disney Dollar ride. But as we approached, she stiffened up. I was about to tell Ross to go with Julia when I thought about the drop in the ride where you get wet. Knowing that Splash Mountain was such a big issue to her, I wondered if that was the case here too. I asked Hope, “Are you afraid of getting wet?” Her answer: “Afraid of getting wet.” So I suggested that she wear her rain jacket. Ross grumbled. He hates the idea of wearing raingear on a water ride. But I could see Hope was thinking. I didn’t give her time to contemplate too long. I slipped her jacket on and on board we went. I can’t say she loved it – but she did it and was very proud of herself.

Julia and Ross wanted to go see Monsters Inc and Hope was not having ANY of it. Lol

thumb_IMG_0791_1024.jpg

So she and I went on the Wedway People Mover. (Is that the right name these days?) It’s funny how the park was pretty busy, but there was no one going on this.

thumb_IMG_0793_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0795_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0799_1024.jpg

Hope seemed to really like it. As we were going through Space Mountain, there was a loud click and suddenly, the lights came on!

thumb_IMG_0803_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0805_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0807_1024.jpg

It was crazy seeing Space Mountain with the lights on. All of a sudden Hope said, “Turn the lights off please!”

Figment Forever

Original Poster

When we returned to the station, the CM asked if we wanted to stay on. Sure! So we went around again. The lights were still on inside Space Mountain. You could tell that the ride was not operating now – it was quiet. Very weird!

thumb_IMG_0815_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0816_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0819_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0822_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0823_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0826_1024.jpg

As we were pulling into the station again, we saw Ross and Julia heading out. So I texted them and said we would meet them in Mickey Star Traders.

When they arrived, Ross did some shopping but didn’t buy anything.

thumb_IMG_0831_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0834_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0829_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0840_1024.jpg

Figment Forever

Original Poster

It was around 7PM so we headed out of the park and hopped a monorail to The Polynesian for our favorite dinner at Ohanna!

thumb_IMG_0904_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0905_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0907_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0910_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0911_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0913_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0916_1024.jpg

We got a pager and walked around a little.

thumb_IMG_0924_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0926_1024.jpg

Hope fell in love with this castle but little did she know that Santa would be bringing it on Christmas. (Disney Store had a crazy deal over the summer where I got the castle free with my purchase!)

Figment Forever

Original Poster

We didn’t have to wait too long and soon we were stuffing our faces.

thumb_IMG_0929_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0931_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0934_1024.jpg

There is nothing yummier than this!

thumb_IMG_0941_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0949_1024.jpg

Not even my special GF dessert.

thumb_IMG_0940_1024.jpg

Hope pooped out soon after dinner. (She really is under there!)

thumb_IMG_0945_1024.jpg

We were hoping to see Wishes but it was after 9PM and it hadn’t started yet. We asked the waitress and she said it should start soon – but it didn’t. So we left.

As we approached the monorail to back to MK, we realized why Wishes had not started – it was POURING out and apparently storming too. We had wanted to go back to Disney Springs, but we didn’t want to deal with the rain, so we just decided to head back home.

As we were waiting for the bus, we started chatting with a man and his daughter who were at the party. He said his wife and their other children were still in the park hoping to see if Wishes would go on, but he was done. He said the parade was cancelled too. Ross starting saying how we have never done the party because of the price – especially if something like this happens. He said how we have Six Flags Passes and Fright Fest would have to do. Lol The man also had Six Flags passes and agreed – He would take a free Fright Fest over the cost of MNSSHP.

I have to say, I go back & forth with MNSSHP. Sometimes I want to go, but then the thought of it being rained out or so overcrowded, always wins out. It’s just too much $ to take a chance with.

We soon arrived back at POR and snuggled in bed. Tomorrow was our "pool" day.

Up next: Do we buy a piece of the magic and really call Disney “home”?

Tuvalu

We were thisclose to meeting that rainy night! While you dined in 'Ohana, we were eating downstairs in Capt. Cooks. :facepalm:

And Hallowishes is the fireworks show on MNSSHP nights....it is usually scheduled an hour or more past 9 pm.

As someone who has personally experienced two MNSSHP rain-outs, I can't say "go for it!" with a clear conscience. ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It was crazy seeing Space Mountain with the lights on. All of a sudden Hope said, “Turn the lights off please!”

This has happened to me before as well. I was both intrigued to see the ride structure of how SM looked like with the lights on; and yet, I was also bummed that it killed the illusion of the little spacecrafts, hurtling at warp speed through outer space. So I agree that Hope's response was completely appropriate!! ;) :happy:

Figment Forever

Original Poster
We were thisclose to meeting that rainy night! While you dined in 'Ohana, we were eating downstairs in Capt. Cooks. :facepalm:

And Hallowishes is the fireworks show on MNSSHP nights....it is usually scheduled an hour or more past 9 pm.

As someone who has personally experienced two MNSSHP rain-outs, I can't say "go for it!" with a clear conscience. ;)

I know we were sooo close to meeting! Bummer!

Oh - I meant to say Hallowishes. I always plan Ohanna so we can watch it from there. We were told that the weather delayed it until almost 11PM that night.

Not sure I will ever make it to MNSSHP but I would LOVE to go to the Christmas party one day. For some reason, that one seems so much better.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
This has happened to me before as well. I was both intrigued to see the ride structure of how SM looked like with the lights on; and yet, I was also bummed that it killed the illusion of the little spacecrafts, hurtling at warp speed through outer space. So I agree that Hope's response was completely appropriate!! ;) :happy:

You're right. I think I have a better appreciation of it now. It is such an incredible ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom