Trip Report Want a stress free Disney vacation? Go to Hong Kong! (completed)

In June 2016 I went with my father to Hong Kong Disneyland for two days/three nights following my brother’s wedding in Koh Samui,Thailand. I thought I would put a trip report here in case people were tossing up making a trip and were wanting some information, or even for those who are just interested in hearing about the non-American parks. I found the whole experience to be fun and so much easier than either Disneyland or Disneyworld and I would recommend any Disney parks fans who are travelling to Asia to pay a visit. We spoke to a few Australians who were breaking up the long-haul to and from UK/Europe with a quick stopover in Hong Kong Disneyland, so for people from my part of the world it is an especially convenient option.

Arrival Day 22nd of June 2016

On this day we flew from Koh Samui to Hong Kong via Bangkok. Here is a gratuitous shot of the wedding venue which was stunning. My brother and his new wife were blessed with the only dry, blue sky day we had while there.

elEhFTRETaSxJ97MZjMFrA_thumb_5db.jpg

We arrived in Hong Kong at around 6pm and took a quick and cheap taxi ride from the airport to the resort. It was extra cheap for me as Dad paid for it as I had no Hong Kong money yet!

We were staying at the Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong’s 2nd tier hotel (there are only two, soon to be three). The cost of the room fell somewhere between a moderate and a low level deluxe resort at WDW and I thought it was beautiful and great value. There were lots of Disneyfied art deco details around the property and rooms.

6Ey8BhKfTdi%dpLv4rzf0A_thumb_4d2.jpg
pB2Rejx4TAW%Fv3a1T6Kew_thumb_50c.jpg

The wifi was good, the beds were comfortable and the room was quiet. I didn’t take any photos of the room as I didn’t want Dad to think I was a weirdo! It included 4 bottles of water a day and 4 pairs of slippers as well as nice soaps and shampoos. There were also these lovely cup sets which included three cups and well as a variety of toiletries. These got squirrelled away in the suitcase and replaced each day.

YtIGcc6KQwSUYLmd1kXpGQ_thumb_2626.jpg

The only area in which the hotel fell down was the availability of food options. The “quick-service” style place was closed at night so there was only a full service expensive lounge and the buffet restaurant. We waited in the lounge to be served for such a long time that we actually just got up and left.

We had a quick look around the grounds. It was shockingly hot and humid despite the late hour and we were tired from travelling so we didn’t wander too far. We ended up watching the fireworks display from the carpark. I bought some hugely overpriced ($25 NZ/$18 US) seven dwarves tsum tsum style hair bands in the little shop in the hotel as I was still in the mentality of thinking in Thai Bhat which is 25.5 to 1 NZ$ rather the Hong Kong dollar which is 5.5 to 1 NZ$. They are a cute way to tie up your hair in the parks but definitely not worth $25.

WlyaY5giSVawLbQ0fXGxCw_thumb_4f7.jpg

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
More paint the night photos.
mxo4c8gQTK2PT63GrcxofQ_thumb_2fb.jpg
GwRDXX0oRa6iC1qk3+eoyg_thumb_2f8.jpg
pPTo6NRgSXeAKExzMgWbiQ_thumb_2f7.jpg

After the parade we headed closer to the castle to catch the fireworks. I don’t really have strong memories of them 9 months after the fact but Dad enjoyed them. The park was actually completely closed after the fireworks which were at around 9pm. We headed to the buses along with a great mass of people and encountered a huge queue, but we were all fed with great speed and efficiency onto a large fleet of coaches and were quickly back at the hotel.
JOH2aaKxTfuddhLwjOoEQg_thumb_2fa.jpg

I had mixed feelings about these opening hours. I actually prefer the park opening at a nice civilised hour like 10.30am rather than the early morning openings that are common in the US parks as I like to sleep in when I’m on holiday. However, having to leave at around 9pm just felt too rushed. I would have loved a few more hours in the park, the humidity was approaching bearable at least compared to the day and Disney parks are always most beautiful at night. A 10.30 open with a midnight/1am closing would be the perfect combination for me.

Day 2
There were some cool balloons on the bus on the way to the park. I love Disney balloons.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2f5.jpg

Anna and Elsa were getting ready for the day.
FksBr1IfTmSpoiPisKLN1Q_thumb_2e3.jpg

We headed to Toy Story Land so Dad could ride the parachute ride first.
2vakQtHQSmy34dOdfFBY6w_thumb_2c4.jpg
PHqBV0yRQUiZ3zxDrB5PGw_thumb_2bd.jpg

There was no line but the process of getting everyone into the parachutes took a really long time. He had a blast though, it was one of his favourite things of the trip.
DBzB4trUShCfrx1wsX1zsQ_thumb_28f.jpg
8NepDELzTHm%oXin6S9TUQ_thumb_290.jpg

Last edited:

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
After the parachute ride we went on another Mystic Manor riding fest.
kWUVPJz6RA2EawWD8tgtnw_thumb_28d.jpg
M2Nr1bDZRoqWMBRbvT6jiA_thumb_294.jpg
P10PC3+jRe6TwyJJ6QCLtw_thumb_2b0.jpg

Then we watched the Lion King show. Again this was a stunning show and was presented largely in English. This shares a lot of similarities with the show at Animal Kingdom.
6YKWVbt+Tlu61NP2mEJibA_thumb_2d1.jpg

It’s the circle…….the circle of life.
gZcoLTenT4K7vpESPOqRZw_thumb_2af.jpg
6XkuikPJSK+sxF9Q3qhQ+g_thumb_263.jpg

After the show we had to wait in the theatre for around 10 minutes due to heavy rain. It was still raining when we were let out so we waited under shelter outside the queue area for a while giving me time to realise that I had been basing my schedule for the day off an old guide, and that we would miss the opportunity to see the other big show at HKDL which is called Mickey and the Wondrous Book. Moral of the story – look at the correct days time guide!

Once the weather settled we headed to Fairy Tale gardens, a walk-through attraction. I had no excitement about doing this beforehand, I was just doing it to tick it off but I loved it. So many wonderful scenes, all with some sort of "magical" effect.
oqH5q0p8SROYzh1so9tfjA_thumb_274.jpg

Rapunzel's tower in black and white.
BA3Qy8JWT9SMha+DLjlkmA_thumb_223.jpg

HZ7kzTCFQUmItvvuLWWBIg_thumb_27d.jpg

You can see one of the buttons which activates the "magical" effects on the stand below.
kLwIVj3MQUuvOn3+s3vxKQ_thumb_237.jpg

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
More photos from Fairy Tale gardens.
pSHZR4WXRWqpkMV1aYriOA_thumb_260.jpg
z3OJw2T7R7yphZ2GHfxeag_thumb_24e.jpg
fO6WBpznT1aJgu2PhAS9uA_thumb_234.jpg
zrHXJasZSCCJyCW9A4GduA_thumb_27b.jpg
zHEl8znITRWQrybZASFJBw_thumb_238.jpg
MVU5CXpHSzKLdQtm2uC1XA_thumb_243.jpg
g2Epg9v7QOabWrWS7%6TKA_thumb_25b.jpg
XElrTCKwRlC1cUl9QVep6Q_thumb_246.jpg

After we finished with the gardens we headed off for lunch, I didn’t notice this at the time but Dad there in the corner is walking around with his backpack open. Thankfully we didn’t lose anything.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_254.jpg

Lunch was at the Plaza Inn, a very beautiful restaurant that shares a name and not much else with the Plaza Inn at Disneyland.
xjXYOwA2Q6WfOnMErSL7Eg_thumb_235.jpg

amjt660

Premium Member
More photos from Fairy Tale gardens.
View attachment 196169 View attachment 196167 View attachment 196168 View attachment 196166 View attachment 196165 View attachment 196164 View attachment 196163 View attachment 196162

After we finished with the gardens we headed off for lunch, I didn’t notice this at the time but Dad there in the corner is walking around with his backpack open. Thankfully we didn’t lose anything.
View attachment 196170

Lunch was at the Plaza Inn, a very beautiful restaurant that shares a name and not much else with the Plaza Inn at Disneyland.
View attachment 196161
Hi Kiwi
Is the gardens similar to the storybook boats in DLR?
It looks like you get to walk around miniatures rather than ride a boat
Max

Last edited:

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
Looks like your dad really enjoyed the parachute ride and the storybook gardens look cool. Thanks for all the great pictures!
He did really enjoy it, there was a good view and a nice, mild level of thrill.

Hi Kiwi
Is the gardens similar to the storbook boats in DLR?
It looks like you get to walk around miniatures rather than ride a boat
Max
The gardens are quite a lot like the storybook land ride. The walk-through version allows you to take things at your own time and have the interactive details, but for me nothing beats a slow relaxing water ride.

amjt660

Premium Member
Kiwi
You had the benefit of 2 days
If I do HKDL I will probably only have a Saturday and perhaps part of Sunday morning.
If you have a list of must do's I would love to see it (based on this tight - weekend busy timeline)
Thanks
Max

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
Kiwi
You had the benefit of 2 days
If I do HKDL I will probably only have a Saturday and perhaps part of Sunday morning.
If you have a list of must do's I would love to see it (based on this tight - weekend busy timeline)
Thanks
Max
The only must-dos for me would be the unique attractions, Mystic Manor and the Big Grizzly mine car ride. There has also been a new Iron Man attraction opened since I went so this would probably be a must do as well. Every thing else is a version of something that is somewhere else, but a good one. Although I think if you tour strategically and determinedly you will be able to get everything done!

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
We each got the HK$170 lunch set special and I got a specialty blueberry frappe. Not as nice as the blueberry mist at the Explorers Club but still very refreshing. It was another excellent meal. This was the only place that we encountered a CM who couldn’t communicate well in English but she quickly went and got someone who could help.

You might be able to see that the lanterns are a different colour than the shot in the last photo, they were constantly changing colour, a beautiful effect.
Psw4EjD+S2ST50EKzRaZ6A_thumb_26a.jpg
2L+stobzQLiqm8yS6bp%sg_thumb_22c.jpg

After lunch we went to check out the parade. The usual parade was cancelled due to rain so they ran their rainy day alternative: the Rainy Day Express.
rAbYV+t%Q3O8rpp+hy37oA_thumb_244.jpg

I am very grateful for whatever life choices I have made which have led me to a place where I could see the crew in their wet weather gear. Those rain hats that are shaped to Mickey and Minnie’s ears kill me every time I see them.
upl4ARVRQROel9e3jWrXIA_thumb_210.jpg

Goofy and Pluto had holes in their hats for their ears.
p3B0Qg4uRXKFix82DkDvFA_thumb_1e4.jpg

Chip and Dale also had custom made chipmunk hats.
q2jXLun8QKKK%xF9fPHhjg_thumb_219.jpg

Even the human CMs had cute rain gear on.
3YkvfOYGRSStan2TsvgT%g_thumb_1bc.jpg

There were other characters on the train but they weren’t wearing rain gear so I didn’t care about them.

After the parade we went back to the room to freshen up and when we came back the bad weather had stopped for the day.
UUcINGQORE+dfw5xdpIMzQ_thumb_27e.jpg

Dad decided he wanted to ride Space Mountain and I wasn’t keen so I rode Buzz Lightyear a couple of times while I waited for him.
XFLemdloS9e5LEc3haW9bQ_thumb_226.jpg
gMLXdFmRQESFaSOzczkJKw_thumb_26e.jpg

amjt660

Premium Member
We each got the HK$170 lunch set special and I got a specialty blueberry frappe. Not as nice as the blueberry mist at the Explorers Club but still very refreshing. It was another excellent meal. This was the only place that we encountered a CM who couldn’t communicate well in English but she quickly went and got someone who could help.

You might be able to see that the lanterns are a different colour than the shot in the last photo, they were constantly changing colour, a beautiful effect.
View attachment 196829 View attachment 196828

After lunch we went to check out the parade. The usual parade was cancelled due to rain so they ran their rainy day alternative: the Rainy Day Express.
View attachment 196827

I am very grateful for whatever life choices I have made which have led me to a place where I could see the crew in their wet weather gear. Those rain hats that are shaped to Mickey and Minnie’s ears kill me every time I see them.
View attachment 196826

Goofy and Pluto had holes in their hats for their ears.
View attachment 196824

Chip and Dale also had custom made chipmunk hats.
View attachment 196823

Even the human CMs had cute rain gear on.
View attachment 196825
There were other characters on the train but they weren’t wearing rain gear so I didn’t care about them.

After the parade we went back to the room to freshen up and when we came back the bad weather had stopped for the day.
View attachment 196822

Dad decided he wanted to ride Space Mountain and I wasn’t keen so I rode Buzz Lightyear a couple of times while I waited for him.
View attachment 196820 View attachment 196821
I have never seen raingear on a character
That is priceless
Great pics - thanks for sharing something that is really new (for me)

Max

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
After dad got off Space Mountain (verdict: “well I won’t be doing that again”) we headed towards Mystic Manor, wandering through Toy Story Land.
WqPToVpOQFGLBFHDMQFUyg_thumb_275.jpg

1ziLjO5xT%GuBucfMaU6Kg_thumb_251.jpg

There is a lovely model of the Mystic Manor attraction and the surrounding area in the queue.
aQJNiS9fSqidz3ywJ5Xknw_thumb_23a.jpg

This was the only time I saw a significant number of people in the line and had longer than a few moments wait.
sK%aQz6JRZqghbaQ54gVJA_thumb_266.jpg

I wonder what type of problems they were having at the park that they needed to specifically spell out that you should be sober to ride.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_23b.jpg

We headed back to Main Street via Fantasyland. We rode Pooh and then Dumbo, a ride I normally skip when I am in the parks by myself. It was fun but kind of frightening as the seat was slippery, there was no barrier on the door and I felt as though I would slide right out of my Dumbo.
vfO9yomzTVWBcbOI3RQgJg_thumb_1c1.jpg
d0dDKQdVSASk1WfPl9RhcQ_thumb_1cb.jpg

We finished off the evening with some dessert at Corner Café on Main Street and some Paint the Night. I thought we could eat dessert and then rush out to see the parade but they let us order, then go outside to watch the parade then come back to our seats to have dessert. This summed up for me how pleasant and easy it was touring HKDL and was a wonderful way to end the night. Behold my Duffy and Shellie May sundae.
wc+S6lLgS0K1hbziwANl6A_thumb_20f.jpg

Next morning, we had breakfast at the Chef Mickeys Buffet in the hotel, it was a very good quality buffet with a mixture of western and Asian dishes. Chef Mickey himself turned up for a while to meet guests.
iLC5DFVUTZG9z9M7MT7Psw_thumb_1ed.jpg

After breakfast we headed to the airport to begin a 24 hour long nightmare flight home on Air Asia, a budget airline. From Hong Kong we went to Kuala Lumpur, we had around an 8 hour wait before flying to the Gold Coast before finally heading home to Auckland. I had never flown long-haul on a budget carrier before this trip and never will again.

I hope people enjoyed hearing about Hong Kong Disneyland. Provided there are no unforeseen issues I am heading to WDW in December. I am booked at Port Orleans French Quarter and the Polynesian and am excited to travel to Pandora and see all the other additions to the Animal Kingdom.

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
Two of my favorite resorts ~ checking in to POFQ tomorrow! :happy:

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
I hope this means another Tuvalu trip report. No pressure!!!! Do you have any suggestions about room requests? I have just booked standard rooms.

Loved the report Kiwi
Thanks for the advice
Looking forward to your next trip
Later this year right?

Max

Yes, Nov/Dec - sooooo long to go yet.

Love the pics of the characters in their rain coats!!

Sounds like a great trip!
Aern't they cute! I'm so glad it rained or else I wouldn't have gotten to see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom