Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Brian Swan

Larger structures for SWL should largely be in by the time TSL opens.
If my memory of a number of pages back serves me (and often times it doesn't), the location of the crane was quite close to the border between TSL and SWL. Could they be thinking to use it for the "far" elevated section of coaster track, and then rotate it 180 degrees and use it for a portion of SWL, adding a second crane for the other side?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If my memory of a number of pages back serves me (and often times it doesn't), the location of the crane was quite close to the border between TSL and SWL. Could they be thinking to use it for the "far" elevated section of coaster track, and then rotate it 180 degrees and use it for a portion of SWL, adding a second crane for the other side?

There was no information about where the crane was going to be located. We initially thought we saw it in one of the aerials but after closed inspection it turned out to be a normal crane.

J. D.

Not this time. The tower crane is on the opposite side from SWL. It's basically between the TSL entrance and the coaster building.

Goofyernmost

There was no information about where the crane was going to be located. We initially thought we saw it in one of the aerials but after closed inspection it turned out to be a normal crane.
That happens a lot, and honestly very few people know the difference between a tower crane and a movable one. I can think of nothing that they are building there that will go high enough to need a tower crane. That doesn't mean that they won't use one, but, it seems to be to be a huge waste of money, those things do not come cheap. Didn't that last time it was mentioned turn out to be a regular one along with a pile driving rig?

EDIT: Based on this picture appearing in the SWL thread, I stand corrected. That is indeed a tower crane. Hard to imagine why it is needed, but, there it is. Sorry of the misinformation.
a crane.JPG

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That happens a lot, and honestly very few people know the difference between a tower crane and a movable one. I can think of nothing that they are building there that will go high enough to need a tower crane. That doesn't mean that they won't use one, but, it seems to be to be a huge waste of money, those things do not come cheap. Didn't that last time it was mentioned turn out to be a regular one along with a pile driving rig?

EDIT: Based on this picture appearing in the SWL thread, I stand corrected. That is indeed a tower crane. Hard to imagine why it is needed, but, there it is. Sorry of the misinformation.
View attachment 195908

Not sure why you didn't think this would happen, we have had a permit for months that said tower cranes were being setup in TSL.

It is a pretty short tower crane so they must want it for it's reach and not for it's height. Where it's position it looks like it could pick up track pieces from back stage and place them over about half of the coaster.

Goofyernmost

Not sure why you didn't think this would happen, we have had a permit for months that said tower cranes were being setup in TSL.

It is a pretty short tower crane so they must want it for it's reach and not for it's height. Where it's position it looks like it could pick up track pieces from back stage and place them over about half of the coaster.
To me it just makes very little sense to have a stationary crane over that expanse. A mobile crane can be anywhere and quickly. If they get something that the tower won't reach (which is possible after things get bigger, not the height... the breadth) and bulkier then they will have to bring in a smaller crane anyway. I will concede that whoever is doing this construction more then likely has a much better idea about what they need then I do, but, it just seemed cumbersome and inflexible to me. As I said, apparently I am wrong and have apologized for my misinformation. Other then that I have no excuses.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
To me it just makes very little sense to have a stationary crane over that expanse. A mobile crane can be anywhere and quickly. If they get something that the tower won't reach (which is possible after things get bigger, not the height... the breadth) and bulkier then they will have to bring in a smaller crane anyway. I will concede that whoever is doing this construction more then likely has a much better idea about what they need then I do, but, it just seemed cumbersome and inflexible to me. As I said, apparently I am wrong and have apologized for my misinformation. Other then that I have no excuses.

I totally agree it also seems unnecessary to me, that's why I was so surprised to see a permit for the crane foundations.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Anybody else notice the tall structure being built infront of the parking garage? The height of that thing... Wonder how soon before see what will be the backdrop

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom