Merits of DLR vs. WDW

thomas998

For me it just comes down to how long of a trip I'm going to take. If I want to do a short 4 or 5 day trip I hit DL if I'm going to be longer than that I hit WDW... Both parks have pros and cons and by switching it around a bit you avoid the boredom that can sometime creep in when you've hit a park too many times in too short a time span. I know there was a time when we were doing week long WDW trips every 5 or 6 months.... My family pretty much burned out for a while and that's what you can avoid if you mix in both parks instead of just being captive to one.

FerretAfros

At various points, I've been a regular guest of both WDW and DLR, and have made multiple visits to all the international parks excluding Shanghai. I think that each location has its own merits, so on one level it's tough to compare them, but it's also inevitable

DLR is jam-packed with rides and a good place to spend a couple days. WDW is more spread out, and makes for a much more well-rounded vacation experience over more time. I wouldn't want to try to do all of WDW in 2-3 days, and likewise I can't imagine spending a full week in DLR.

With any of the traditional metrics for comparison (rides, entertainment, food, etc.), there are pros and cons to each, making it mostly pointless to do a one-by-one analysis. I will say that as far as crowds go, I would much rather be surrounded by the "unaware rubes" in WDW than the "entitled APers" at DLR; neither are perfect, but when I'm on vacation I prefer to be around people who treat it as a special experience, not a weekly occurrence

Internationally, TDR has the best maintenance, cast members, and entertainment roster of any Disney resort. That's simply undebatable. TDL is a little sterile and looks like it was designed by committee (which it was, since WDI's top crew was busy with EPCOT Center), but TDS is spectacular, and a real tour de force of WDI's best work, and the park's broad theme allows nearly anything to fit in seamlessly, just like the original DL concept. Most guests could easily spend 3-4 days at TDR, especially with the infamous crowds they get at certain times of the year

DLP has all the charm and intimacy of DL, but manages to make it work on a significantly larger scale. WDSP has a handful of fun attractions, but struggles to fill more than a few hours and is the ugliest Disney park in the world. The resort has been saddled down with debts from the original overbuilt hotels, and they've struggled with money for maintenance and park additions ever since. Things seem to be heading in the right direction, but the DLRP saga is such a rollercoaster that it's hard to tell. 2-3 days is probably enough to see everything

HKDL is a small park with few attractions (granted, my last visit was in 2010, before the mini-lands opened) but what's there is done very well. Of the cloned attractions, their versions are the best or very close to it. The resort area is a beautiful secluded oasis from the hectic city, but it still seems to lack the content to really pull people in and keep them in. 1 day is plenty for this one

I see the merits of each resort, and can appreciate what they bring to the table. Similar to how a ski trip and a cruise are different types of vacations, I enjoy the differences between the various Disney locations. If I had to pick between DLR and WDW, I would probably say WDW simply because it takes more time and can fill a vacation better, considering the hassle of physically getting to either location for me

If we're talking about the parks individually, DL is the clear winner domestically, probably followed by Epcot, then DAK, DCA, and the Studios. Spots 2-5 all have their flaws and struggle to really fill a day on their own (though it's possible at any of them), but are all generally enjoyable parks with a lot of fun and worthwhile elements

As a controversial opinion, MK is my least favorite domestic park by a long shot; it may even be my least favorite worldwide, though WDSP gives it a real run for its money. It's not that MK doesn't have the bones to be a great park (as discussed earlier in this thread), but the operations, crowds, and lack of real expansion have made for a situation where it's really just a difficult place to enjoy spending any time. At least WDSP has the novelty of being in a foreign country and relative lack of crowds to help it along

NeedMoreMickey

No one makes a trip to California just for DCA or even Disneyland. They come for the weather, world class beaches, culture, movie stars and amazing theme parks and zoos. People who make money want to live in California. Old poor people retire to Florida.

My domestic park's rankings:
- DL
- Epcot
- DCA
- DAK
- MK
- DHS

I made the trip in January just for Disneyland. I wanted to see where it all started. We were they 5 nights and the weather sucked 3 nights, only hit 60's one day. Of course coming from the Mid-Atlantic we thought the winter coats, gloves, hats and scarfs by the locals was hilarious.

NeedMoreMickey

My first trip to DLR was last month and I couldn’t get over Main Street and the small castle. To us it seemed as if we could tell which resort had the attraction first and which had it second because the second one fixed the problems from the first. The castle and Main Street at WDW are more impressive then at DLR. Space Mt. was built first in WDW and DLR a couple of years later, DLR is better. Radiator Springs was opened after and is better than Test Track in Epcot. I love history, one of the reasons I finally made the trip to DLR to see some of the attractions/rides that Walt actually had input but after the ride on the Matterhorn I needed a trip to the chiropractor. Everest tops the Matterhorn. A few of the rides are similar and not different enough to me to matter like Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion. I did enjoy Small World because all the Christmas decorations were still up. We were disappointed that Jungle Cruise was still down. Would love to make another trip to DLR but probably won’t because I didn’t like the long plane ride.

We did find it funny that a lot of CM felt like they had to justify DLR over WDW. The CM at the place where you draw characters mentioned they DLR still had it where WDW is gone. This happened numerous times at attractions. We weren’t comparing only mentioned that it was my first trip and we usually go to WDW because it is a lot closer.

Nothing in DLR compares to Epcot or Animal Kingdom.

I didn’t get the bubble feeling at DLR that I get at WDW. I can get off the plane sit down on Magical Express and I’m in the bubble until I leave. One of my favorite spots at the entire resort is near the back entrance of Epcot into World Showcase where the boats pass under the road and there is a little walkway by the water. I tell my husband this is where my magic day begins and where it ends.

SuddenStorm

To us it seemed as if we could tell which resort had the attraction first and which had it second because the second one fixed the problems from the first. The castle and Main Street at WDW are more impressive then at DLR. Space Mt. was built first in WDW and DLR a couple of years later, DLR is better. Radiator Springs was opened after and is better than Test Track in Epcot. I love history, one of the reasons I finally made the trip to DLR to see some of the attractions/rides that Walt actually had input but after the ride on the Matterhorn I needed a trip to the chiropractor. Everest tops the Matterhorn. A few of the rides are similar and not different enough to me to matter like Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion. I did enjoy Small World because all the Christmas decorations were still up. We were disappointed that Jungle Cruise was still down. Would love to make another trip to DLR but probably won’t because I didn’t like the long plane ride.

While they often do get the ride better for its second iteration, there are a some exceptions. I think our Pirates is better, DL Fantasmic is better (was better- we don't know what it's gonna be now), our Small World facade is worlds ahead of the WDW one.

Comparing our Space Mountain and BTMRR to WDW's is tough now since ours were significantly refurbed in the last decade, while WDW's haven't been.

RMichael21

While they often do get the ride better for its second iteration, there are a some exceptions. I think our Pirates is better, DL Fantasmic is better (was better- we don't know what it's gonna be now), our Small World facade is worlds ahead of the WDW one.

Comparing our Space Mountain and BTMRR to WDW's is tough now since ours were significantly refurbed in the last decade, while WDW's haven't been.
Actually BTMRR went through an extensive refurbishment (just a month shorter than DL's) about a year or two prior to DL's if I remember correctly. I could be incorrect though. All of the changes/upgrades were the same (repainting, replaced track, etc) except for the new finale.

SuddenStorm

Actually BTMRR went through an extensive refurbishment (just a month shorter than DL's) about a year or two prior to DL's if I remember correctly. I could be incorrect though. All of the changes/upgrades were the same (repainting, replaced track, etc) except for the new finale.

http://blogmickey.com/2016/11/big-t...s-3-month-refurbishment-new-lighting-package/

It was only down for 3 months, it looks like they replaced parts of the track but it wasn't as intensive as DL's a few years back. But I had no idea WDW had done anything to it recently so it's good it's getting work done on it.

RMichael21

http://blogmickey.com/2016/11/big-t...s-3-month-refurbishment-new-lighting-package/

It was only down for 3 months, it looks like they replaced parts of the track but it wasn't as intensive as DL's a few years back. But I had no idea WDW had done anything to it recently so it's good it's getting work done on it.
Oh, thanks for the correction.

WDW's BTMRR was also down for three months recently (September-November) and I believe it was completely repainted.

Phroobar

Thinking about BTMRR tragedy it had back in the Presler era of the DLR, I wonder which resort has lost more lives on property whether mechanical or guest stupidity.

PiratesMansion

To me, Disneyland clearly has a better overall collection of rides and shows, and since that's primarily what I care about at parks, that means that DLR wins over WDW. Both DLR parks trounce WDW's. But WDW certainly has a lot of unique offerings that make it worthwhile, particularly Animal Kingdom, which may be the most underrated Disney park. Although I appreciate World Showcase, I never got to see Epcot in its prime (first visit 1998), so much of Future World is lost on me. Hollywood Studios is a joke that nevertheless merits a visit solely for Tower of Terror.

Magic Kingdom I find to be frustrating because IMO it has largely inferior versions of the attractions but requires much more planning and consideration that DL does. I still might put it above Hong Kong just because there's much more to do (my only visit was in 2010), but not by much. That said, I have to credit MK for having the best overall version of the Haunted Mansion (I missed Tokyo's due to the Nightmare overlay).

I feel like a lot of the normal rules of theme parks don't really apply at WDW. There is merit to it, but not always in the way people expect, IMO. It is definitely better for the non-rider (or non thrill rider) than DLR. I'm not super impressed by many of their attractions but I do enjoy visiting the parks. It's the only resort where each park can really have its own identity (although they are working hard to put a stop to that). There is a grandeur that is largely unmatched by the other parks. There are so many different choices and activities. I'm making an effort this summer to focus more of my time away from the four parks and branch out into new experiences and I think this will result in a better trip.

rreading

Great thread and solid perspectives.

To me, and I expect much of WDWs visitors, I find that WDW is about the experience of visiting. Maybe we'll go to DHS and ride TOT in the evening after visiting the water parks or hanging out at the pool during the day. When will we hit EPCOT and at which country do we dine? (to be fair, the fact that these have to be planned ahead is a +/- depending on perspective but it makes a trip to WDW an immersive experience in itself).

The adjectives for DL/MK are very subjective: charming vs impressive.

Sleeping Beauty's castle is very nice. It is small.
Cinderella's castle is very big. It could be too much? Both to me are beautiful.

BTMRR is more recently updated and smoother at DL; but I enjoy seeing the mountain in the distance as I approach from around the river.

Sure, WDW has an unnecessary/disruptive HM queue; but the ride is better.

Adventureland at DL is cozy; it can also be claustrophobic when the park is crowded.

Main Street on DL is still quite charming and the food at DL has consistently been better with better variety.

But my boy (and the boy within me) loves riding the Peoplemover in TL at night. He loves the Pirates' Adventure in AL in WDW. He enjoys TSI at both.

He loves seeing and riding Spaceship Earth and he doesn't realize it's been dumbed down. One trip when he was 7, he flipped out that we only had time to ride it once.

Shows: FOTLK and Finding Nemo are great at least once. WDW Fantasmic is sad. I thought that Wishes was better than DL Main Street fireworks since RDCT. EPCOT ROE is excellent as is the Festival of Fantasy parade at MK. WOC can be fabulous too.

Still to me WDW is more than the sum of its parts. You have a great day in the park and take a boat back to the hotel. Or a monorail to your hotel (instead of DTD). Sure, it's nice to walk back right to the Grand Californian after WOC, but relaxing on the boat gives my night closure and makes me feel like I'm on vacation.

That's my answer: you can argue that DL/DCA could be better parks; but I submit that WDW is a better vacation. They're different experiences.

HMF

Original Poster
Adventureland at DL is cozy; it can also be claustrophobic when the park is crowded.
You're telling me, I got forced into taking shelter in an Adventureland Gift Shop during a major rainstorm since there was nowhere else to go a few years back. It was pretty chaotic.

HMF

Original Poster
He loves seeing and riding Spaceship Earth and he doesn't realize it's been dumbed down. One trip when he was 7, he flipped out that we only had time to ride it once.
Well, I am heartened your son loves the ride despite it's flaws considering we came very close to losing it a few years back but the Jeremy Irons version literally changed my life when I was 9.

dweezil78

Magic Kingdom I find to be frustrating because IMO it has largely inferior versions of the attractions but requires much more planning and consideration that DL does.

Ok, I love my DL and all -- but as a former Florida guy, I gotta defend MK here! I think saying MK has 'largely inferior versions of the attractions' is kind of an overstatement, don't you think? Aside from Pirates which everyone can agree with, almost anything else is pretty subjective IMO and just marginally different as far as any attractions that are shared. I can argue just about any of them in either direction w/ maybe Speedway being the only exception.

dweezil78

Another thing to add... I think DL'ers tend to put so much emphasis on attraction comparison (which is better, overall count, etc.) when to me, there's so much more when you're vacationing at WDW. The different resorts with their unique restaurants and quirks make up so many of the memories I take back from my trips there. Moments like this (not my video, but love this restaurant - Whispering Canyon @ Wilderness Lodge in particular)...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom