Week trip and intentionally missing out on HS. Bad idea?

KBLovedDisney

Ok, to start off, I am not a big Star Wars fan. The movies were great and I get the story, but I am not over the moon for the franchise. Alongside that, with there being a lot of construction and realigning of the park itself, do you think it would be bad if I skipped out on that park altogether? My hubby and I are planning a week trip; we are both huge Disney fans and went to Disney twice last year.
In your opinion, would we be missing out on much if we skipped out on HS this time around?

This is the current itinerary:
Day 1: Epcot: Future World
Day 2: Animal Kingdom
Day 3: Rest Day/Deluxe resort visiting
Day 4: Magic Kingdom
Day 5: Epcot: World Showcase

I guess because of the decline of what HS used to be, I have liked it less and less over the years.

(P.S. Also, I should probably mention that Sci-Fi Cafe was my parents favorite restaurant to eat at and mine as well. However, my dad passed away this time last week and I don't want a chance of a possible trigger hitting me full force on the trip.)

Sorry for all of the details but I want to hear what you guys think.

Plowboy

Yep, can't do simulators at all. Nor can my hubby. He can't even do Soarin.

If you can't do simulators, I'm assuming Rock'n Rollercoaster & Tower of Terror may be out as well. I'm in the same boat. That being said, about all that is left at this time is Toy Story Mania, Great Movie Ride and Muppets, and shows? We skipped DHS on our last trip and it really didn't bother us at all (but that's just us). For us TDO has turned DHS into a half day park at best. We'd rather spend our time at the other 3 parks. Once all the hubbub of construction is done, we'll give it a try again.

Upvote 0

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
We skipped DHS on our last trip. The only question I have is about doing FW and WS in Epcot on 2 separate days. We usually do a 1/2 and 1/2. I like to end up WS at night, and FW is easy to knock out in a morning.

I think last trip, we did 2 MK days, 2 EP days and 2 AK days. We had a DHS day planned, but we enjoyed our first day at AK so much, we dumped DHS and scheduled another at AK. No regrets.
In the past, the hubby and I have left it to a one day park doing both FW and WS, but trying to cram all of that in one day tired us out. We like to take our time in Epcot; it is pretty much our favorite park (even though it is a shadow of what it used to be..)

Event though my favorite rides are the HM and PoC in MK, my favorite park is Epcot. Go figure, lol.

Upvote 0

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
If you can't do simulators, I'm assuming Rock'n Rollercoaster & Tower of Terror may be out as well. I'm in the same boat. That being said, about all that is left at this time is Toy Story Mania, Great Movie Ride and Muppets, and shows? We skipped DHS on our last trip and it really didn't bother us at all (but that's just us). For us TDO has turned DHS into a half day park at best. We'd rather spend our time at the other 3 parks. Once all the hubbub of construction is done, we'll give it a try again.
Funny thing is, we can do rollercoasters just fine. I actually love RnR, but put me on Star Tours and that's it. I'm done.

Upvote 0

21stamps

OP- Please don't skip HS!!! I went in 2015..it was good.. went in 2016- it was GREAT!
We didn't even accomplish everything that we wanted to from open to close.

Don't let all of the "half closed" park talk dissuade you.. it simply isn't true!

Star Wars fan or not, seeing the storm troopers walk around and interact with you is pretty darn cool.

Upvote 0

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
We went last April. It was okay and we did all of the rides and shows, but the construction and the excess of Star Wars craziness made myself and hubby quite irritable.
Don't get me wrong. I love all Disney, but the last few times I have done HS, it feels less flow-y.
(That and HS has always been my least favorite park...I liked it better in the 90s)

Upvote 0

21stamps

We went last April. It was okay and we did all of the rides and shows, but the construction and the excess of Star Wars craziness made myself and hubby quite irritable.
Don't get me wrong. I love all Disney, but the last few times I have done HS, it feels less flow-y.
(That and HS has always been my least favorite park...I liked it better in the 90s)
I'm the opposite, I wasn't a huge fan when it was MGM, and I wasn't thrilled with it after becoming Hollywood Studios.
2016 I fell in love though.

In your case I guess I would skip it. If you were there last year then you know what you prefer. I'm a fan of seeing with your own eyes then making up your mind, and you've already done that.
Go spend more time at the WS :)

Upvote 0

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I'm the opposite, I wasn't a huge fan when it was MGM, and I wasn't thrilled with it after becoming Hollywood Studios.
2016 I fell in love though.

In your case I guess I would skip it. If you were there last year then you know what you prefer. I'm a fan of seeing with your own eyes then making up your mind, and you've already done that.
Go spend more time at the WS :)
:happy: I love how everyone has their different love and appreciation of Disney. I find it really cool (and somewhat cheesy I know, lol)

Upvote 0

contrariwise

In the past, the hubby and I have left it to a one day park doing both FW and WS, but trying to cram all of that in one day tired us out. We like to take our time in Epcot; it is pretty much our favorite park (even though it is a shadow of what it used to be..)

Event though my favorite rides are the HM and PoC in MK, my favorite park is Epcot. Go figure, lol.

Epcot is my favorite park too, but I agree, it is a shadow of what it used to be. We don't find that much to do in Future World anymore. Now, the stuff we do in FW, we really enjoy, but there's not that much of it these days.

Upvote 0

21stamps

I visited last Nov/Dec, and actually went twice during our stay. We spent one full day, and did not get to experience everything. We went back a second day (morning) for a partial visit to catch the Frozen show and another TSMM ride, then hopped to another park. We never did get to see the Star Wars fireworks, as we only were at HS one evening. And, we had no young children so we skipped some of the chirdren-age attactions (Disney Jr, Jedi training) and also did not catch any parades.

I understand why some people think HS is just a half day park, but for guests who have a mix of ages in the group, and who want to experience everything the park offers, even one full day may not be enough time to get it all in.
It wasn't enough for us. I regret not planning 2 days for HS.

Upvote 0

contrariwise

I guess because of the decline of what HS used to be, I have liked it less and less over the years.

OP - This ^^ is the most telling thing in your post. That, and the fact that you're not into Star Wars ... In your shoes, I would skip it.

Now, I will say this. We were able to switch around plans last minute (mid-trip) and switch parks for 2 of our days. I hate FP+ and the rigidity of it, BUT if you have had enough of the other parks and want to switch around your days to include DHS, it may be possible. I had to really stalk the app for one FP (either Soarin or Test Track - I think I swapped DHS out for AK, which necessitated moving an Epcot day too), but I pulled it off. All this to say, if you become unhappy with your itinerary mid-trip, and want to modify without sacrificing anything other than time spent on the app, don't rule it out before you try.

Upvote 0

TiggerDad

It wasn't enough for us. I regret not planning 2 days for HS.
We went in December, and were not able to see everything we wanted to see in HS, so I wouldn't skip it because you think it's all closed down. The reason for the OP to skip it is they hated all the Star Wars stuff the last time they went.
I do question the thread title, however. Four days is not a week trip.

Upvote 0

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
We went in December, and were not able to see everything we wanted to see in HS, so I wouldn't skip it because you think it's all closed down. The reason for the OP to skip it is they hated all the Star Wars stuff the last time they went.
I do question the thread title, however. Four days is not a week trip.
Meh, I always classified a week in my terms as 5 days like 5 workdays (and a rest day/DS day/or Deluxe resort visiting day is included in that in every trip). Weekends don't count, lol. Nah. There was a trip last year that was a Sunday to Saturday with premium dining plan. Now that was a week trip! ...and waaaaay too much food.

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

We would hit it for sure for a couple of reasons. First, it has some of our favorite rides ToT, RnR, TSMM, and ST. Second, Disney has a way of closing down rides without notice or maybe with short notice with no trips planned. I would hate to see The Great Movie Ride or Indiana Jones closed or Tower of Terror re-themed and know that we were there but skipped seeing it one last time they way it was meant to be. There are too many other rides we missed out on that I really wish we would have been able to experience or would have experienced just one more time.

Just to add one more reason - When we were there in April of 2016 HS had, IMO, the best firework show of all of the parks. Don't get me wrong I love Wishes (I know it is going away) but the HS show was absolutely awesome!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom