ImageWorks

OliveMcFly

Good to know that it is safe and sound. I'm just going to upload the full ImageWorks shot nowView attachment 185468
Oh. My. Goodness. I can't explain in words what it's like to see this.
We have old photos of Image Works and they're so dark and hard to make out. I know for sure the film strip screens are in them and for the longest time I could not place them. It's a neat feeling seeing it all intact...sort of.

NovaCiteJourneys

Original Poster
Oh. My. Goodness. I can't explain in words what it's like to see this.
We have old photos of Image Works and they're so dark and hard to make out. I know for sure the film strip screens are in them and for the longest time I could not place them. It's a neat feeling seeing it all intact...sort of.
Trust me, it was all mostly intact but my camera wasn't working properly and didn't capture anything. Miracle it got what it did.

OliveMcFly

Trust me, it was all mostly intact but my camera wasn't working properly and didn't capture anything. Miracle it got what it did.
I've always wanted to go up there but fear of security stopped me. Now that the lounge is up there it may be easier. How did you manage to get back in there?

RobidaFlats

Somewhat tangential, but if you ever get the opportunity (unlikely I would imagine) to tour the Altria headquarters building in Richmond, VA, ask to walk through the underground tunnel that connects the main building to the headquarters annex. It's a long tunnel that is ringed with different colored lights that light up as you walk through. Not precisely the same as the Imagination corridor, but it's impossible to walk through it and not feel like you're stepping back into a Disney pavilion from years ago.

NovaCiteJourneys

Original Poster
Somewhat tangential, but if you ever get the opportunity (unlikely I would imagine) to tour the Altria headquarters building in Richmond, VA, ask to walk through the underground tunnel that connects the main building to the headquarters annex. It's a long tunnel that is ringed with different colored lights that light up as you walk through. Not precisely the same as the Imagination corridor, but it's impossible to walk through it and not feel like you're stepping back into a Disney pavilion from years ago.
Sounds great, considering our rainbow corridor got the axe. The ring entrance doesn't even say Rainbow Corridor anymore.

NovaCiteJourneys

Original Poster
Apologies on bumping a dead thread, but I have some more photos I never posted.
Screenshot 2017-02-20 09.26.16.png
Screenshot 2017-02-20 09.28.28.png
Screenshot 2017-02-20 09.29.25.png
Screenshot 2017-02-20 09.30.49.png
Screenshot 2017-02-20 09.31.09.png
Screenshot 2017-02-20 09.31.52.png

They are blurry but you get the idea.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
At least to me, it's still pretty mind boggling that this area has been almost totally abandoned and replaced since 1998.

DreamfinderGuy

I'd still like that whole upstairs section to be replaced with some sort of imagination restaurant!! So many interactive things could be done! c:
Yeah, they could have the Bubble Music station ripped out until it was glass, and have the main pyramid become seating areas. Then they could have the rest of the ImageWorks be a kitchen! Maybe add a VIP room around where the tunnel was.

NovaCiteJourneys

Original Poster
Yeah, they could have the Bubble Music station ripped out until it was glass, and have the main pyramid become seating areas. Then they could have the rest of the ImageWorks be a kitchen! Maybe add a VIP room around where the tunnel was.
Um, no. That is an awful idea, we have plenty of restaurants in WDW already. By no means does this mean i'm a fan of the lounge being there (although it is nice) but a restaurant is not the proper replacement we need.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Um, no. That is an awful idea, we have plenty of restaurants in WDW already. By no means does this mean i'm a fan of the lounge being there (although it is nice) but a restaurant is not the proper replacement we need.

It ain't a bad idea. If downstairs could be a nicely refurbbed imageworks + gift shop, then upstairs could be a legit awesome imagination themed restaurant with Dreamfinder and Figment coming around the tables to meet and greet. The theming could be spectacular.

mouse_luv

I thought I was imagining going through the rainbow tunnel as a kid when I returned there in the late 90s and nothing like that existed. Thank you for these photos, but it also makes me sad.

@marni1971 why did they close that section of the pavilion?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 why did they close that section of the pavilion?
Cost. Reduce the area that needed staffing, heating, cooling. Reduce the length of the original ride, the troublesome ride system sections, and there's a big open space downstairs ready to use instead.

Though some exhibits were not even a decade old the original Imageworks needed a full overhaul. Again, roll it into the whole pavilion refurb and install more modern exhibits downstairs.

There was also an ADA issue with no wheelchair escape route. As built there was an emergency refuge room for guests who couldn't walk. Plans were proposed since for an exterior ramp but its additional cost, in addition to reopening upstairs, was too much to pay. Have any DVC members taken a wheelchair upstairs to the lounge?

DreamfinderGuy

Cost. Reduce the area that needed staffing, heating, cooling. Reduce the length of the original ride, the troublesome ride system sections, and there's a big open space downstairs ready to use instead.

Though some exhibits were not even a decade old the original Imageworks needed a full overhaul. Again, roll it into the whole pavilion refurb and install more modern exhibits downstairs.

There was also an ADA issue with no wheelchair escape route. As built there was an emergency refuge room for guests who couldn't walk. Plans were proposed since for an exterior ramp but its additional cost, in addition to reopening upstairs, was too much to pay. Have any DVC members taken a wheelchair upstairs to the lounge?
It cut costs and cut enjoyment at the same time, one of the worst things to ever happen to EPCOT Center.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom