Getting an IT job at WDW. Tricks, Tips? Outside the box ideas?

dvcwill

Original Poster
My wife and I recently moved to the area, about 15 minutes from Celebration, and would really love to get in at Disney.

Obviously patience and persistence is key, but I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any "outside the box" advice. Perhaps ways to connect with CM's, meetups, should I make a Disney specific resume etc.

We are both in our 30's in IT, so we're mid-career and can't do the internship or start at the very bottom.

I don't have a degree, which makes it 10x harder for me to even get through the door, but I do have some decent experience in the entertainment industry working with clients like Blue Man Group, Hamilton, and other celebrities and am a manager who answers to C-Level stakeholders. I'm sure I'd make a great candidate for some of the jobs I'm applying to, I just don't know how to get that chance to show them.

After a few dozen applications, I'm really starting to feel defeated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if you're a corporate CM reading this, want to do lunch? My treat!

Thanks
Will

Attachments

• howcanidisney.jpg
    howcanidisney.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 33

rob0519

In the current IT climate, I can tell you that not having that degree is going to make it 10 times harder to get an interview without some help. Most major HR departments use resume' scanning software. If the requirements are having a college degree, anything scanned without that information is basically sent to the side. Best of luck. I hope you land something at Disney.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In IT, experience and certs within the product space you are working on trumps degrees. Degrees are usually only checkboxes for manager roles/etc. If the job is for a DBA and you can demonstrate history and competency... no one gives a hoot about your old degree or GPA.

Answer the job postings with specific experience in the role's requirements. Disney is a big enterprise company like most. Stalk the listings and keep pounding.

dvcwill

Original Poster
Thanks Joe.

Yeah, I've been reaching out and connecting with recruiters. My lack of degree really hurts me. :(

My wife has a degree and worked at a couple colleges, but we keep getting told "its who you know". One CM friend told me that it took her BF a year to get in there. So I guess we just need to keep being persistent. I'm hoping I can meet someone who has a little insight into the inner workings.

I think I am going to try to go to a Toastmasters meeting that is for CM's but open to the public.
I've also begun searching "friends of my friends who work at Disney" on facebook and just trying to meet CM's, though most are performers/photopass etc.
A recruiter suggested the Panera in front of the Celebration offices.

I also posted to LinkedIn asking this same question and was contacted by another recruiter.

dvcwill

Original Poster
In the current IT climate, I can tell you that not having that degree is going to make it 10 times harder to get an interview without some help. Most major HR departments use resume' scanning software. If the requirements are having a college degree, anything scanned without that information is basically sent to the side. Best of luck. I hope you land something at Disney.

In IT, experience and certs within the product space you are working on trumps degrees. Degrees are usually only checkboxes for manager roles/etc. If the job is for a DBA and you can demonstrate history and competency... no one gives a hoot about your old degree or GPA.

Answer the job postings with specific experience in the role's requirements. Disney is a big enterprise company like most. Stalk the listings and keep pounding.

Haha, almost two opposite answers and oddly, they are both correct. I'm old enough that most of the technology I use today didn't even exist when I very briefly went to school and I have numerous certificates and have examples of results. I have several certificates with example products developed. But as rob0519 said, I'm not even getting looked at because I get removed right away for not even having a degree.

That's kind of why I'm looking for the "outside the box" method mentioned. I think I would be a good hire, but I need to know someone who can get me past that first hurdle.

Perhaps do some pro-bono work for a Disney related project or specific person?

rk03221

Just keep in mind disney is going through a big lawsuit with their former IT workers. They laid off hundreds of their IT workers and replaced them all with workers from India, not only that but the workers being laid off had to train their replacements.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Haha, almost two opposite answers and oddly, they are both correct. I'm old enough that most of the technology I use today didn't even exist when I very briefly went to school and I have numerous certificates and have examples of results. I have several certificates with example products developed. But as rob0519 said, I'm not even getting looked at because I get removed right away for not even having a degree.

That's kind of why I'm looking for the "outside the box" method mentioned. I think I would be a good hire, but I need to know someone who can get me past that first hurdle.

Perhaps do some pro-bono work for a Disney related project or specific person?

You would be better off with a State IT job better benefits and the majority of Disney IT is outsourced

If you still want to work AT Disney in an IT role apply with Cognizant for jobs in the Orlando FL/Celebration FL area working FOR Disney in an IT role unless you are a PMP or Senior IT leadership candidate is unlikely

The key once again is WDW has outsourced most of their IT and Development and all that remains is Senior IT leadership and Project management offices and Cognizant has the lions share of IT technical and support roles

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom