First trip to Disney, where to eat !

Shawn15p

Original Poster
Hey guys,

We are planning our first trip to Disney as a family ( last time I was there I was 12). I have been doing tons of research in all aspects of the trip but having an especially hard time narrowing down the restaurants. We are staying at AKL and on the regular dining plan. So far this is what I have come up with, but it changes daily. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, and we are going with my 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son.

Sunday-Boma
Monday-CRT
Tuesday-Chef Mickey ( I know the food is not great but kids will love the characters)
Wednesday-Ohana
Thursday- Yak and Yeti
Friday-Tratoria al Forno/Trex (I have reservation for both places as of now but not sure I want to do either!)
Saturday- Be our Guest for lunch. Dinner will just be a quick service since we are using 2 credits for CRT.

Thanks for your help !

carriebeth

At Animal Kingdom your children would probably really like Tusker House...better than Yak and Yeti I bet. Its character dining and buffet so they can eat whatever they want. The food is very similiar to Boma. So I don't know if you would want them both. You could do breakfast at Tusker maybe and dinner at Boma? or change Boma?

Your kids would really like TRex I bet. If you are looking for experiences they would enjoy I would go with that. I am willing to be Tratoria probably has better food...so it depends on what you were wanting more.

Figgy1

Premium Member
At Animal Kingdom your children would probably really like Tusker House...better than Yak and Yeti I bet. Its character dining and buffet so they can eat whatever they want. The food is very similiar to Boma. So I don't know if you would want them both. You could do breakfast at Tusker maybe and dinner at Boma? or change Boma?

Your kids would really like TRex I bet. If you are looking for experiences they would enjoy I would go with that. I am willing to be Tratoria probably has better food...so it depends on what you were wanting more.
I second this and at Tusker House you can get a dining package for Rivers of Light so you don't have to fast pass it.

21stamps

I second this and at Tusker House you can get a dining package for Rivers of Light so you don't have to fast pass it.

What they said :)

AndrewsJ

Since you are at AKL please do yourself a favor and dine at Sanna. The food and view of the animals on the savanna is unmatched. It is in Kidani Village.

AndrewsJ

Over Boma ? I would prefer to eat this type of food just once on the trip.
I prefer it over Boma but you have little ones and depending on their tastes Boma may be a better choice. I'm sure you know that Boma is a buffet and may have more that your kids will eat. Plus since your accommodations are at AKL you'll already have animal viewing so the savanna view at Sanna may not be that important. You really can't go wrong with either. Check out the menus on WDWmagic, you may already have, and that will help you decide. AKL is our favorite so I think you already have an amazing trip for your family! Have a great time!

MickeyfromSTL

People have some good comments already going for your table service meals. I would echo the Via Napoli from @SyracuseDisneyFan 's note... the pizza there is great!

Aside from the table services meals, I would recommend looking into and having a general plan with some of the quick service locations as well. They are not all created equal...

A couple quick/counter service please to consider:

At Epcot:

- La Cantina De San Angel. This is the quick service location in the Mexico pavilion. One of my favorite places to eat lunch at Disney. Go for the Chicken tacos. Their salsa is self-serve and is great! Get an extra basket of chips if your meal doesn’t include them...

- Sunshine Season’s inside the land pavilion. They have several different windows to order from with different offerings at each. This would be a good lunch spot

- Sommerfest in Germany has a very good brat and "authentic" German pretzels. This is good for a smaller meal or snack.

At MK:

- Cosmic Ray’s is good with a wide variety. It gets very busy during peak lunch times...

- We go for the Harbour house once a trip... My wife really likes the broccoli salad. I usually go with the Fish. Good lunch location (there is extra seating upstairs).

at AK:

- my favorite is the Yak and Yeti. I see you are already eating table service there, so you likely don’t want to do the counter service as well.

- Flame Tree BBQ is good. My only problem with it is that everything is served with baked beans which I am not a fan of.

Sudios:

- not the best quick service food at studios.

- We eat at the backlot express mostly. They have hamburgers, hot dogs, a couple sandwiches, etc.

- eating down by tower of terror and rock and roller coaster is ok as well... Rosie’s and Catalina Eddie’s are right by each other so some of your party can get pizza while others get burgers if you want.

Hope this helps,

hanwill

I agree with the above posts... For the kids- at Epcot, Garden Grill might be fun. Mickey and friends are there, revolving restaurant... Also, I highly recommend Via Napoli in Epcot-a little less formal than the other Italian restaurant...Tusker house is great at AK... We love 50's Prime time and Sci-Fi Fi at Hollywood studios.

Have a great trip- the characters will spend a lot of time with your kiddos. It's a fun age to go.

Phonedave

It is hard to say without knowing your background and tastes.

Quite honestly, dining at WDW has gone downhill in the last number of years. Now don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but it's also not an "amazing experience" (V&A of course is the exception). If you come from an area that has a lot of good restaruants, then I would not worry too much about "must-do's". Now, if you come from an area that, for example, has a 50 mile drive to get to the nearest non "steak and potatoes" place, then yes, some of the different restaruants in WDW would be must-do's.

Of the ones you have picked, Chef Mickey, Ohana, CRT, and BOG are nothing special as far as food is concerend. For your kids though, it's going to be great. Yes, BOG makes the "not so great" list now. I have been really disappointed in it the last two times, and it is nowhere near worth the cost.

If you do not plan on going back to WDW again in the near future, I would be more concerend about park attractions than I would food. Plan your meals around what you want to do in the parks. Don't let your dining choices drive you park schedule.

Disney4family

We've been enjoying Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace as our "must-do" breakfasts for the past 14 trips in 12 years. Honestly, the food at Chef Mickey's has been better than Crystal Palace for the last three years.
Both are wonderful ways to start a magical day!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom