Disney with an Autistic child

Princess Kaylee

Original Poster
An extended relative of mine who is coming with us on the reunion trip to WDW is severely autistic. He is tall enough to ride all of the rides. Does anybody have any experience with this? I don't want to book character meals or experiences that will overwhelm him. Please give me advice.

Weather_Lady

This is a question that comes up fairly often! I have no personal experience, but many on this board do. You might find some good advice in this recent thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tips-for-touring-with-asd-children.916026/

The only real tip I can give is to know the layout of each park well enough that you can identify the nearest "quiet place" to which your relative can retreat if things start to become overwhelming -- e.g., an uncrowded and air-conditioned gift shop, or an out-of-the-way seating area. A friend of mine whose son has sensory processing disorder visited WDW last year, and found that between the use of noise-cancelling headphones, and some well-timed visits to quiet shops during the more crowded times of day, her son was able to soothe himself when things started to become overwhelming. Obviously, every child is different, so you'll need to work closely with his/her parent(s) to formulate the best strategy for him/her.

LizC

the above is excellent advice. There is a lot of info out there for people with kids on the spectrum visiting WDW, there are even a few facebook pages.

I would suggest trying one of the more low key character meals first, and then if that goes well do others or cancel them. We like Garden Grill, the food is brought to you which is easier for those with children, and the restaurant isn't as loud as others.

Be sure to get a DAS for your relative. Be prepared to explain why he can't wait in long lines. Just saying he's autustic won't be enough of a reason. They also have a stroller as wheelchair pass that we use, not sure how old the child is, this has been very helpful to give our daughter her own space. This allows us to take the stroller on lines and in to shows.

Have a wonderful trip. Feel free to reach out with any specific questions!

md0u80a2

You may find the new express transport option, if still operating when you are there, is very useful as it gives a rapid way out of the parks noise.

I would also advise a discussion with any supporting physician who could produce a supporting letter that could be used by guest services as needed.

rob0519

You may find the new express transport option, if still operating when you are there, is very useful as it gives a rapid way out of the parks noise.

I would also advise a discussion with any supporting physician who could produce a supporting letter that could be used by guest services as needed.

We have a special needs adult son and Guest Services has always been adamant about not needing or wanting to see any type of documentation from a physician in over 20 visits. So, if you have something take it. We carry it, but they never look at it.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Rent a car if need be the busses can be over whelming. Boat service is always the better option if it's available. When doing a qs meal try and eat at off hours lunch at 11 dinner at 4 or after7 if you can do that. As others have said find quiet spots and take breaks. Disney is the one place when my ds can handle schedule changes and noise. Plan but don't share plans in case changes to your schedule need to be made. Eat at CHH upstairs it's a nice quiet escape spot. Good luck and have a magical time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom