South Of The Border

Princess Kaylee

When we drive to WDW we always stop at SOB and it is ALWAYS empty. We have stopped in the morning, afternoon, and night and we have never seen anyone there. Has anyone else noticed this?

DisneyPrincess5

That place was yikes from my one and done experience. Never forget we saw a humongous spider crawling from t-shirt to t-shirt as they hung, dusty on a peg board wall. :eek:
Every time we've driven by it (which has been various times of the year, days of the week, and times of day) it is always a ghost town. Maybe it comes alive at night or other times of year? Maybe some Walter White action keeps it going.

Ps-I LOLed when I saw it abbreviated "SOB". That truly is the correct abbreviation for it.

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

Agreed, we never see many people there. Not sure how they stay in business.

DH swears he stayed at the motel there once about 18 years ago on his way to NOLA. Said it wasn't so bad. And I think we had lunch there at the Mexican restaurant about 11 years ago.

It's a great place to stop on our way down in the motorhome. If we time it right, we might arrive at 11 am and hit the restrooms, and then eat homemade ham sandwiches while watching the wildlife from the comfort of our dinette.

Upvote 0

MySmallWorldof4

I remember as a little kid seeing bumper stickers from there on cars. We have been driving down yearly to Disney and South Carolina beaches since 2002 and not once have we ever seen it busy. My husband and I always comment about that place and wonder how is it that it is still around yet no one is ever there? There are loads of billboards on 95 and those have to cost a lot of money, and it has its own exit sign on 95. My kids get a kick out of the signs but we just drive by and wonder...WHY? But then, I think I would feel sad if we drove by one day to see the sombrero gone.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

It's a shole. Stopped once when I was a kid and it was OK. Now it is just scary. Stopped to get my dd ice cream on the way home from a soccer tournament because it was pouring in buckets. Won't stop there again.

It makes money though because those billboards run about $800 a month.

Upvote 0

Princess Kaylee

Original Poster
It's a shole. Stopped once when I was a kid and it was OK. Now it is just scary. Stopped to get my dd ice cream on the way home from a soccer tournament because it was pouring in buckets. Won't stop there again.

It makes money though because those billboards run about $800 a month.

I'm wondering if those billboards have been up for decades and at one time the place was very popular. I think you are right about it being scary, it is always empty!

Upvote 0

LeighM

It used to be a nice, fun place to stop many years ago. But since then, it became run down and dirty. I wanted to stop there in 2012 since it was the first time in 15 years since I had stopped there and I was shocked at the difference. I didn't stay too long.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

Have only eaten there once. That was sufficient. I suspect it was a fun place to stop many years ago, there were amusement rides, minigolf, various gift shops and more than one restaurant. You'll notice in addition to being right there on I-85, it is also on US 301 and I'm sure was a big deal back when 301 was a major route south. Hasn't been that way in a very long time

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

I agree it's a pit. our DS saw it on TV and wanted to go in the worst way. We took a trip to visit family in Raleigh/Durham area and we made a pilgrimage to SOB, we stayed 5 minutes it was the shock of his then young life. I always advise to avoid it.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

From many years of travelling south to Florida and reading Pedro signs, we noticed on our last couple trips (this past fall) that they had some new signs up. We've never stopped but reading the signs sure helps on the long drive.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom