complaining

J_Carioca

Original Poster
I haven't been on this forum in about a year (since my last trip). We weren't planning to go to Disney World this year but ended up booking a trip for next month, as we were able to get flights on air miles and this cut down costs. Now that we're going, and I'm immersing myself back into the world of Disney, I feel a little apprehensive. It seems there's so much to be annoyed with.

I'm reading on these boards about the high prices of food at the Epcot Festival of the Arts, the fact that they seem to be phasing out the Water Parks and More add-on option, those godawful private tents you could rent, etc...Basically it really seems that they're raking in more money at the expense of guest satisfaction.

The kicker for me was finding out about the shark reef closure at TL. I realize that the park won't even be open when I'm there, but still. I had no idea that they closed the reef! I am really, really upset about this. The reef was so unique and SO cool. I can't count the times I'd get out of the reef and hear a little kid talking about how she just SWAM WITH SHARKS. I remember going to TL about twenty years ago with my parents, and my dad, who was not a big waterslide fan, could not stop talking about how good the reef was. It was such a nice change from the usual waterpark things. I don't care how great Miss Adventure Falls is, I will always hate it because it forced the closure of the beloved reef.

I'm very happy to be going to the World next month, but I feel like my rose-coloured glasses have been removed.

epcotisbest

I haven't been on this forum in about a year (since my last trip). We weren't planning to go to Disney World this year but ended up booking a trip for next month, as we were able to get flights on air miles and this cut down costs. Now that we're going, and I'm immersing myself back into the world of Disney, I feel a little apprehensive. It seems there's so much to be annoyed with.

I'm reading on these boards about the high prices of food at the Epcot Festival of the Arts, the fact that they seem to be phasing out the Water Parks and More add-on option, those godawful private tents you could rent, etc...Basically it really seems that they're raking in more money at the expense of guest satisfaction.

The kicker for me was finding out about the shark reef closure at TL. I realize that the park won't even be open when I'm there, but still. I had no idea that they closed the reef! I am really, really upset about this. The reef was so unique and SO cool. I can't count the times I'd get out of the reef and hear a little kid talking about how she just SWAM WITH SHARKS. I remember going to TL about twenty years ago with my parents, and my dad, who was not a big waterslide fan, could not stop talking about how good the reef was. It was such a nice change from the usual waterpark things. I don't care how great Miss Adventure Falls is, I will always hate it because it forced the closure of the beloved reef.

I'm very happy to be going to the World next month, but I feel like my rose-coloured glasses have been removed.

Food prices are high but there are lots of options and no one makes you purchase any of it.
The fact that they seem to be phasing out the water parks is not a fact.
Add-on options are optional.
Those awful private tents won't affect you in any way unless you go over to them and stand around getting more upset.
Businesses make money. If you don't receive the satisfaction you desire, don't go back.
Attractions change, close and get remodeled throughout WDW, and Typhoon Lagoon is no different. You have already decided to hate the new water ride and say you will always hate it, so don't ride it. Seems a little unusual to hate something without ever trying it.
If you start out your trip annoyed and upset and with a negative attitude, chances are you might continue to be annoyed and upset and negative while there. If you go into the trip looking forward to all there is to see, do, and experience, you might have a better trip.
I hope you do wind up having a great time.

Last edited:

contrariwise

If the trip is etched in stone, i.e. not cancellable, I would say to try to make the most of it. Yep - there have been changes, but it's mostly intact. As epcotisbest said, if you don't enjoy it, vote with your wallet. I will say - plan and be prepared. I think it's harder to have umm, unscripted fun at Disney these days.

J_Carioca

Original Poster
Food prices are high but there are lots of options and no one makes you purchase any of it.
The fact that they seem to be phasing out the water parks is not a fact.
Add-on options are optional.
Those awful private tents won't affect you in any way unless you go over to them and stand around getting more upset.
Businesses make money. If you don't receive the satisfaction you desire, don't go back.
Attractions change, close and get remodeled throughout WDW, and Typhoon Lagoon is no different. You have already decided to hate the new water ride and say you will always hate it, so don't ride it. Seems a little unusual to hate something without ever trying it.
If you start out your trip annoyed and upset and with a negative attitude, chances are you might continue to be annoyed and upset and negative while there. If you go into the trip looking forward to all there is to see, do, and experience, you might have a better trip.
I hope you do wind up having a great time.

I am looking forward to the trip. I know there is more to be happy about than to complain about. However, when I think back to the trips I took in the 1990s and well into the 2000s, I get a little sad because I know those days are gone. I realize that add-on options are just that, optional, but it used to be that all guests got the Disney difference and now the ones that get it are the ones that pay more for it.

Most of all, as the poster above me said, it's getting harder and harder to have spontaneous, unscripted fun.

MissViv

We are just back from Disney. We are in our 60's and been going to Disney since 1973 although the last trip was 10 years ago.

I have to say that this trip was my absolute favorite but it was partly due to meeting family there and having such a great family time. We do not have small children but there were grandchildren involved (none under 7) and we were there because of our grown children being in the Marathon. We are looking forward to going back in July for a family wedding. Disney is expensive but there is nothing else on earth like it and I LOVE IT!!!

DfromATX

None of that affects me... never been to the water parks (we have Schlitterbaun close by anyway, but I haven't been there either since 1988, so...). The tent thing is optional and something I would never do anyway. The food... well I guess all that's optional too. I will say this... we used to always do the DDP and on the last trip in July, we did not. We still ate lunch and dinner like we usually do and it was MUCH cheaper. We also had groceries (light breakfast, drinks, and snacks) delivered to the room and we saved a ton there too. Maybe that might be something to consider.

I would also recommend you stay off of here if the complaints upset you. They can make you crazy, along with the trolls. I had to get off for a while too. You will go on your trip and enjoy it like you always do!!

Minnesota disney fan

Hi OP: don't let the "don't like it, don't go" people around here bother you. You have an opinion, valid concerns, and have posted them here on this DISCUSSION board. You are allowed to express your opinion. I wouldn't let those posters get to you with their mantra of, "it's a business", "prices always raise", blah, blah, blah!!! LOL. I agree with why you are concerned and your views are valid, so hopefully you will get some responses that aren't the usual "don't like, blah, blah, blah! I hope you have a great time next month, because even though things are changing, you can still have a great time.

blueboxdoctor

I don't really understand the cost of food complaint. Yes, in restaurants it can get pretty crazy. However, if you know which counter services to go to, you can get really good food for a good price. Maybe you will end up liking the changes they have made since your last trip. There are things I would like to still be there, but overall, my experience has not been ruined as things have changed.

BigRedDad

Food Prices: Welcome to the unique world of captive audiences which falls outside of lines of price gouging. Anything on Disney property is going to be expensive. It will be 50%-100% increase compared to equivalent food else where.

As for the changes, these are natural. Yes, everyone may not like them, but it happens.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The cabanas have already been dropped as an option, there just wasn't much interest in paying what they wanted for what you got.

Nostalgia is an on-going issue with all things Disney, there are people who still complain about Horizons [which was gone before my first visit].

I've done lots of Disney trips and I've always enjoyed what was available to me while I've been there. If somethings closed for refurbishment or just gone, I might think about it for a few seconds while I'm moving to the next thing. I'm in Disney to escape the worries of the world, not to create new ones.

yedliW

Food Prices: Welcome to the unique world of captive audiences which falls outside of lines of price gouging. Anything on Disney property is going to be expensive. It will be 50%-100% increase compared to equivalent food else where.

People always complain about food prices at Disney, and yes.. they are higher than local grocery stores, or even national fast food chains.. but when you compare it to other entertainment venues.. they aren't really out of line.. I was at a minor league (AHL) hockey game this weekend.. and my wife ordered a burger fries and a bottle of water, and it came to $17.. a bottle of soda alone at the arena is $4..

Most of all, as the poster above me said, it's getting harder and harder to have spontaneous, unscripted fun.

This idea gets thrown out there a lot.. maybe it's because I'm relatively new to the WDW thing.. but planned fun can be just as good as unscripted fun.. but again, that is not just a Disney thing.. that's the way the world is going.. Do you want to spontaneously go to NYC and have dinner and catch a show? good luck getting a table or tickets to the latest show, the day of..

BigRedDad

People always complain about food prices at Disney, and yes.. they are higher than local grocery stores, or even national fast food chains.. but when you compare it to other entertainment venues.. they aren't really out of line.. I was at a minor league (AHL) hockey game this weekend.. and my wife ordered a burger fries and a bottle of water, and it came to $17.. a bottle of soda alone at the arena is $4..

This is the rule of captive audiences. They can charge what they want without being affecting by price gouging laws. We avoid paying the insane prices by bringing our snacks, leave by 1PM to eat at our resort for lunch or even from the cooler in the car, and if we do order, we share a meal. A standard QS meal at Disney is about 1,500-3,000 calories. Its enough to feed 2 people per meal or a decent snack for 3 people. If done right, you can even get a free salad out of it as well.

Glasgow

Unfortunately only one thing will change the current state of the parks. Attendance. Money talks, I'm afraid. We can all espouse the infallible strategies of the Walt Disney Company's fallen leader, but until profits go down, then cuts will be made to increase profits. That's how modern businesses work and TWDC is no different. We've chosen to not go as often (half as much - the other half is going towards UNI now) which doesn't make a dent in Disney's profits but at least we can say that we're not happy with the current value proposition and that's how we have stated our claim, which allows us to still enjoy our Disney vacations but hopefully expresses our opinion in a small way. Anyone that is not happy with how the company is currently run should either send correspondence with said opinion, purchase enough stock to have a say in the direction of the company and/or change your vacation plans to affect their profits.

OP - I definitely feel your pain but take comfort in the fact that you'll have a great time if you want to have a great time. I fully believe that your experience is more affected by your attitude than your circumstances. Sure, that's not always the case but remember that more people tend to share their negative experiences than positive ones.

parkhopper1213

There is no denying food prices are high. If you load the My Disney Experience app into your phone you will have access to all of the dining menus. We try to set a daily budget and find ways to reduce some costs. Making lunch the big meal of the day or splitting large entrees may save some money as well.
Purchasing a dining plan may be a good option. You have to do the math to see if its worth the cost. For us, we'd have to spend over $40 a person per day for food. In reality we didn't so it didn't pay to purchase the plan.

J_Carioca

Original Poster
Just wanted to note that I mentioned the high price of food at the Epcot Arts Festival, not the high price of food in general. I made that comment because there is another thread that says that the food options at the new festival are costlier than at the Epcot Food and Wine festival. It was not a comment on the price of food in the parks overall.

I am looking forward to my trip for sure. It's just that there are decisions that are made that bother me. And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's really because of the fact that we all love WDW and care about it that sometimes these things bother us.

Minnesota disney fan

Just wanted to note that I mentioned the high price of food at the Epcot Arts Festival, not the high price of food in general. I made that comment because there is another thread that says that the food options at the new festival are costlier than at the Epcot Food and Wine festival. It was not a comment on the price of food in the parks overall.

I am looking forward to my trip for sure. It's just that there are decisions that are made that bother me. And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's really because of the fact that we all love WDW and care about it that sometimes these things bother us.

Well said!

Rebel_

Hey OP - I hear you and I can totally relate. I've had my "Disney-Bubble" burst more than once these last few years.
It's adding up.
Yes - I can still have a great trip.
Yes - the trip is what you make it.
But - no - I can't make it look or feel like the old trips did and that takes some getting used to.

21stamps

Negativity is always louder than positivity. Especially on the internet.
Take everything you read with a grain of salt, and remember that for every 1 complaint there is an overwhelmingly higher number of satisfaction.

It's tough being on these boards when planning, there's so much negativity around that it can make you wonder "what happened to the parks that I love? Have they changed that much" However- there's also great advice and great info!!!
It's your choice to listen to the positive or negative when planning, and how your attitude will be. Choose positivity, always :) The parks that "we" love still exist. Attractions change, food prices vary, value is subjective. You can't control if one of your favorite rides close, but if you don't want to pay $7 for something at a food kiosk, then don't...you can control that.

I miss the 90s and 2000s too.. mainly bc I was younger then ;). Seriously though, plenty, an overwhelmingly "plenty" of people still have an amazing time at Disney World. Not every second needs to be planned out. People will say that, but it's not true. Plan a few "must dos" obviously, but remember to leave flexibility, or at least the willingness to be flexible. We all just need to relax and Enjoy. Just enjoy, your surroundings, your time away from it all, and most of all- the time with your travel companions. If one chooses to stare and be angry at tents tucked behind bushes in Tomorrowland, instead of paying attention and having fun with the people they are with- that's their bad decision. Just don't let yourself make the same one.

Have a wonderful trip!!

P.s. @epcotisbest is the resident expert on how to "relax while at Disney". Read his trip reports. They're inspiring, and they by far outshine and outweigh any of the negativity threads. :)

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Negativity is always louder than positivity. Especially on the internet.
Take everything you read with a grain of salt, and remember that for every 1 complaint there is an overwhelmingly higher number of satisfaction.

It's tough being on these boards when planning, there's so much negativity around that it can make you wonder "what happened to the parks that I love? Have they changed that much" However- there's also great advice and great info!!!
It's your choice to listen to the positive or negative when planning, and how your attitude will be. Choose positivity, always :) The parks that "we" love still exist. Attractions change, food prices vary, value is subjective. You can't control if one of your favorite rides close, but if you don't want to pay $7 for something at a food kiosk, then don't...you can control that.

I miss the 90s and 2000s too.. mainly bc I was younger then ;). Seriously though, plenty, an overwhelmingly "plenty" of people still have an amazing time at Disney World. Not every second needs to be planned out. People will say that, but it's not true. Plan a few "must dos" obviously, but remember to leave flexibility, or at least the willingness to be flexible. We all just need to relax and Enjoy. Just enjoy, your surroundings, your time away from it all, and most of all- the time with your travel companions. If one chooses to stare and be angry at tents on Tomorrowland instead of paying attention and having fun with the people they are with- that's their bad decision. Just don't let yourself make the same.

Have a wonderful trip!!

P.s. @epcotisbest is the resident expert on how to "relax while at Disney". Read his trip reports. They're inspiring, and they by far outshine and outweigh any of the negativity threads. :)
I agree, however, many of the complaints are legitimate concerns of the traveling public. Where it all goes wrong is the idea that we all need to be angry about this and that we cannot accept a few basic facts. Not everyone can afford to go to Disney. Yes, it is expensive and always has been! No, you cannot look at what was charged in 1955 and think that there is no excuse for the prices of today. Yes, at times it is ridiculous, but, no one is forced to pay a nickel to Disney if they don't want too. Yes, an argument can be made that the quality is not as good as it was 20 years ago as well as an argument can also be presented that it is better today then back then. It is all in what you expect, what you enjoy and what impresses you personally. Joe Regular that spends more time at Disney then at home, will find things old, dated, boring and not worth the money. Then again Harry Onceadecade is amused, fascinated, entertained and made happy by the exact same show. If one has been before, but, a long time ago, then they have to expect that many things have changed. The world, not just Disney World, has gone up-charge happy. It's a new thing that everyone is doing. It's an opportunistic exercise in capitalism. That doesn't mean that you will not be getting your money's worth, it is all in your hands to determine what is worth the money and what is not. No one else can tell you how you personally will value something.

Myself, I stay offsite, because I don't go to Disney for the hotels or the restaurants. Many others do! Not me! I stay in less expensive quality places, I eat most of my meals offsite where I don't get fleeced for every nickel I have and I don't allow myself to be a captive audience. I still enjoy what I do go for and that would be the parks. I can go to a quality hotel anyplace on the planet, I don't need a giant mouse to make my time fun. My point is, it is an individual experience. Go to sites, that give you the most information. Ask specific questions about factual things. Never ask a group of strangers if something is worth the expense or worth seeing, because if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers.

That said, there is a very large group of people that find the immersion an important part of the experience, however, it is also a very expensive part of the experience as well. It would kill the fun for me... for others it is a necessity for full enjoyment.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom