Any recent experiances @ Morimoto Asia

Mrhappyplace

Original Poster
I've got a ADR for Morimoto Asia for April 29 and to prepare myself I read through all the reviews on Yelp recently. It seemed like there was quite a lot of very negative reviews during the month of December but going back further the majority of the reviews got more positive though there was still more negative reviews then I am really comfortable with. Regardless I am keeping the ADR and looking forward to the meal but thought maybe if some who visit this site had eaten there recently they could tell me about their meal.

Reading all those reviews took quite a bit of time but I thought it did me some good in that I wasn't planning on ordering the ribs but nearly every review that mentioned the ribs raved about them even if they had nothing else nice to say. I also had been kinda thinking of ordering the duck but reviews on that are much more mixed so I think I'm gonna skip that for this visit though it is tempting.

One or two very old reviews mentioned a magician who would perform a trick or two tableside, does that still happen? I'm guessing not but figured I'd ask. Thanks for any responses!

jaklgreen

I have always had a good experience there and very good food. I try to keep reviews in perspective, some people will get unlucky and get bad service, some will just not like the food, while others just like to nit pick everything. There are many more good reviews then bad. You should keep an open mind and decide for yourself it is worth it to you. But like I said, I really like it there.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I enjoyed my meal there, but I doubt I will deliberately go back.

I tend to like Japanese cuisine more than Asian. With Chef Morimoto at the helm I was hoping for a nice fusion of the two, but I found it to be too much Asian, not enough Morimoto.

The food was still very good, but with so many other restaurants to choose from in DS, Morimoto Asia moved down on the list.

Dr.GrantSeeker

I ate there a couple months ago. I was very skeptical at first as well. The service was good and I really enjoyed my meal. There was 6 of us in our party and we ordered a ton of food to try a little bit of everything. I will say that we didn't have one bad dish on the table! I have not read any reviews on Morimoto so I am not sure what aspect the negativity is coming from, but I would say to keep the ADR its definitely a place to try.

As @Master Yoda said with so many new restaurants in the Springs, Morimoto has moved down on my list as well.

Mrhappyplace

Original Poster
I have always had a good experience there and very good food. I try to keep reviews in perspective, some people will get unlucky and get bad service, some will just not like the food, while others just like to nit pick everything. There are many more good reviews then bad. You should keep an open mind and decide for yourself it is worth it to you. But like I said, I really like it there.

Oh I'm certainly going to decide for myself but there was such a overwhelming amount of negative reviews in the first two or three weeks of December it seemed likely that the restaurant may have been having some problems. Since then the reviews have gotten better though. When I am looking at Yelp reviews I will occasionally look at a reviews other reviews as some only write bad reviews and seem like they like to complain. But there was a few trends with these reviews, many cited bad service or mediocre food with small servings and high prices. Others seemed to have too high of a expectations since it is a place with a celebrity chefs name on the outside. Many complaints about the randomness of plates being delivered to the table.

I'm still very much looking forward to trying it myself and hope it will be a great dining experience.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh I'm certainly going to decide for myself but there was such a overwhelming amount of negative reviews in the first two or three weeks of December it seemed likely that the restaurant may have been having some problems. Since then the reviews have gotten better though. When I am looking at Yelp reviews I will occasionally look at a reviews other reviews as some only write bad reviews and seem like they like to complain. But there was a few trends with these reviews, many cited bad service or mediocre food with small servings and high prices. Others seemed to have too high of a expectations since it is a place with a celebrity chefs name on the outside. Many complaints about the randomness of plates being delivered to the table.

I'm still very much looking forward to trying it myself and hope it will be a great dining experience.
Small servings and high prices are somewhat accurate, but par for the course with a high end Disney restaurant.

I do not remember and problem with meals coming out, but many higher end Asian restaurants bring out food as it is ready from the kitchen especially if they are doing a small plate format. It can seem a bit off if people are not expecting it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
One or two very old reviews mentioned a magician who would perform a trick or two tableside, does that still happen?

I believe that was happening in the lounge areas during the first few months of opening. Unsure if that continued, and I don't think it happened at all in the main dining room.

Otterhead

Small servings and high prices are somewhat accurate, but par for the course with a high end Disney restaurant.
Everything I've seen at Morimoto Asia and heard about from friends looks and sounds delicious; I've heard nothing but raves in general. It's pricey, yes, but less so than other Morimoto restaurants, and definitely an upscale experience. To be honest, the reason going there hasn't been a priority for me is that I've eaten at Morimoto elsewhere and was a little disappointed that this restaurant went for a sort of middle-of-the-road pan-Asian menu rather than the unique Japanese fusion cuisine he's known for. I did absolutely love the ribs at Morimoto Street food -- they're fall-off-the-bone tender and utterly delicious.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Everything I've seen at Morimoto Asia and heard about from friends looks and sounds delicious; I've heard nothing but raves in general. It's pricey, yes, but less so than other Morimoto restaurants, and definitely an upscale experience. To be honest, the reason going there hasn't been a priority for me is that I've eaten at Morimoto elsewhere and was a little disappointed that this restaurant went for a sort of middle-of-the-road pan-Asian menu rather than the unique Japanese fusion cuisine he's known for. I did absolutely love the ribs at Morimoto Street food -- they're fall-off-the-bone tender and utterly delicious.
That was my feeling as well. I won't say no if someone in my party wants to go there, but I doubt I will plan a trip back.

Jess G

@Master Yoda Since it's more Asian than anything, is it at least significantly better then Nine Dragons? I haven't tried Morimoto yet mainly because I hate how it's 1 credit lunch and 2 credit dinner meanwhile what I would order is the same low price at both meals.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
@Master Yoda Since it's more Asian than anything, is it at least significantly better then Nine Dragons? I haven't tried Morimoto yet mainly because I hate how it's 1 credit lunch and 2 credit dinner meanwhile what I would order is the same low price at both meals.
The food quality at Morimoto was better, but I think the overall value would go to 9 Dragons.

You can only add so much fancy to Kung Pao Chicken before you start getting diminishing returns.

Mrhappyplace

Original Poster

I do not remember and problem with meals coming out, but many higher end Asian restaurants bring out food as it is ready from the kitchen especially if they are doing a small plate format. It can seem a bit off if people are not expecting it.

It won;t be a issue for me as it will only be my wife and I and I plan on ordering a fairly large selection but some of the reviews were at a table with multiple people receiving their orders while others at the table did not for quite awhile after.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom