Changes to Roaring Rapids?

MotherOfBirds

Original Poster
When I was watching the first videos of Shanghai 5 months ago, the indoor portions of Roaring Rapids were pretty well lit and the Croc was only somewhat functioning. After checking more recent RR videos, the caves are now pitch black and I don't see or hear audio for Croc nor any guest reactions. Has he been removed/discoCroc'ed or am just watching crappy videos?

RandySavage

^I've watched a series of youtube vids to see what you mean. The October clips show "C-mode" (no croc or sounds inside), but this one from a few days ago (not sure when it was filmed), does show the croc (but still no audible growls):

To me, it looks like the much darker (naturally lit) cavern makes for a better/scarier experience than the bright caverns of the first months of operation. Of course, the darkness needs to be coupled with a crescendo of growls and a fully-animated Croc to make for the optimum ride experience.

The riders in these vids all seem to quite enjoy the ride and it gets the longest waits in the park (maybe 2nd to Soarin).

I've read that it has had a series of technical issues since previews, so maybe that is ongoing. When the jungle vegetation grows thick and 'wild' and all the kinks get worked out, it looks like a very good rapids attraction to me. One criticism would be the slowdown around the whirlpool before the final drop... feels anticlimactic in the vids. Would be nicer if the raft hit that drop at a clip. I suppose most rapids today can't do that due to pre-drop safety gates. My second critique would be the overly-toonish design of the Croc. Still, I'd give RR high marks as a whole.

Shanghai can get fairly cold in the winter months, but I'm assuming it won't be taken offline this winter.

180º

Here's a video where it looks like everything's working:

Go to 2:52. The croc's (or whatever it's called)'s eyes aren't glowing, making it look a little less cartoony.

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 3.50.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 3.50.57 PM.png

Last edited:

cjkeating

The drop on the ride is weird... it goes into a shallow runoff with no splash, at least that's what it looked like on the video.

IMDREW

Anyone knows if you get soaked on this ride?? Am going in feb and its really cold but want to do this if you don't get too wet..

Buried20KLeague

It's a raft ride... fairly certain you could get wet. There are plenty of pics of people riding in ponchos.

I'm going in march and intend on using a poncho. No way I'm missing seeing the ending in person.

I am hoping they can control the soaking level. Sort of like how on Splash they turn of water cannons at certain times of the year.

IMDREW

It's a raft ride... fairly certain you could get wet. There are plenty of pics of people riding in ponchos.

I'm going in march and intend on using a poncho. No way I'm missing seeing the ending in person.

I am hoping they can control the soaking level. Sort of like how on Splash they turn of water cannons at certain times of the year.
You're right! I shouldn't miss the ride because Im afraid to get a little wet. Poncho it is!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom