Swan & Dolphin FP+ question

Kate Alan

Original Poster
Hi guys. Hearing conflicting information from cast members regarding Swan and Dolphin policies and hoping someone here can give me a straight answer. Swan & Dolphin - 60 day FP+ reservations, or 30 days?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hi guys. Hearing conflicting information from cast members regarding Swan and Dolphin policies and hoping someone here can give me a straight answer. Swan & Dolphin - 60 day FP+ reservations, or 30 days?

60 Days.

"Hotel guests can now enjoy the exclusive benefit of being able to reserve up to 60 days in advance of their trip and choose from a broader array of options"

http://www.swandolphin.com/aboutus/whatsnew.html

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, some background on the Swan and Dolphin: The Swolphin both is and isn't a Disney hotel. Basically, Disney is letting an outside hotel chain run a Disney resort rather than run it themselves. They did this to attract conventioneers who were used to hotel chains and had points with them (originally Westin and Sheraton, both bought out by Starwood, which is now bought out by Marriott).

It is a Disney resort:

* Disney advertises the Swolphin as a Disney resort on their site and it shows up in resort searches.
* Disney has a say in how they operate.
* Disney characters show up for their character meals.
* Disney gets a share of their earnings.
* Disney provides free transportation within 'the bubble' (buses and ferries, but not Magical Express to/from the airport).
* Disney staffs their Disney ticket center.
* If you stay at the Swolphin, parking is free at the parks (but not at the Swolphin itself).
* You get Extended Magic Hours
* You get the 60 day window for FastPasses.
* Park purchases can be sent to the Swolphin for pick-up later.
* You get all the golfing perks of staying at a Disney Resort

It is not fully Disney:

* You can use Starwood/Marriott points there, which you can't at other Disney resorts.
* The accounting system is separate which means you can't charge to room at the parks.
* They don't do MagicBands (no free ones, no MB door unlocking, but, you can buy your own or use old ones from other visits).
* They charge for parking at the Swolphin (other Disney resorts don't charge for parking at the resort).
* They have a mandatory resort fee (unless you bought a package deal, like from CostCo, in which the resort fee is waived or included).
* You don't have Magic Express to/from the airport (but you do have free bus and ferry within the Disney bubble).

As a convention resort, the clientele is more adults and less children. Occasionally, the lobby will be full of conventioneers moving to their next event. And it's cheaper than the other resorts on Crescent Lake (the lake between Epcot and Hollywood Studios). Often $200 a night or more cheaper.

It is very much a Deluxe resort. It has high class restaurants and shops. Excellent pools. A spa. Character dining. A gym. Children's activity center. Full room service. Full business class services. People argue over whether it's appropriately themed enough to be a Deluxe. While you're not going to get a bed shaped like a pirate ship, it's as nice as the Contemporary or Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk, or Floridian whose theming is nothing more than fine architecture and art. And the Swolphin has that, though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And, you can walk to two parks. I love that. And you can walk to any of the fine restaurants/bars of the other resorts on the lake including the BoardWalk.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the Dolphin over the Swan. Mostly because most of the amenities (completely shared by the two... same owner) are in the Dolphin: gym, laundromat, all-night cafeteria, ice cream shop, grab & go food store (Fuel). The Swan is just slightly more luxe than the Dolphin, but, I'd rather not carry laundry to another building.

Last edited:
When linking the reservation to FP+ I kept getting an error message saying the reservation was not valid. The Disney help desk could not figure it out. I learned from the SPG help desk that there is a leading '0' that does not show up on the confirmation number. Once I added a '0' to the beginning of the confirmation number the reservation linked. I hope this helps someone else with the same problem.

Robbiem

I know they have separate transportation but how do the hotel plaza resorts compare in terms of 'disneyness'?

Does Disney have a say in the running of these hotels as well or are they completely separate and just located on WDW property?

Rob562

I know they have separate transportation but how do the hotel plaza resorts compare in terms of 'disneyness'?

Does Disney have a say in the running of these hotels as well or are they completely separate and just located on WDW property?

For all intents and purposes, they're offsite hotels that Disney has no say in how they're run.

Their bus service is ok as long as you go in knowing its limitations. Transportation to MK and Epcot are decent, to Studios is so-so, to AK is horribly long.

-Rob

Robbiem

For all intents and purposes, they're offsite hotels that Disney has no say in how they're run.

Their bus service is ok as long as you go in knowing its limitations. Transportation to MK and Epcot are decent, to Studios is so-so, to AK is horribly long.

-Rob
Thanks I thought that was the case. Many years ago when I was little my family stayed at the grosvenor hotel but that was back when they had Disney buses

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

-Rob
Not such when you can walk to 2 parks.

I love both the Swan and Dolphin and with them almost complete with the renovations, they are even more attractive to me. The location can't be beat, you get most of the benefits you would had you stayed at a WDW Hotel. You can usually find some great rates all in around $200 a night and you get starwood points. I just really love being able to walk to the Boardwalk Restaurants, Epcot International Gate and Hollywood Studios. The room are clean and up to date, its really a win win for me and my wife. My issue with some of the true Disney hotels is first their price. Unless you want to stay at a Value, I don't see how you can justify a $350 a night Beach club room that isn't up to date and has paper thin walls, where just a few steps away is the Swan and Dolphin. Just my 2 cents

Rob562

I love both the Swan and Dolphin and with them almost complete with the renovations, they are even more attractive to me. The location can't be beat, you get most of the benefits you would had you stayed at a WDW Hotel. You can usually find some great rates all in around $200 a night and you get starwood points. I just really love being able to walk to the Boardwalk Restaurants, Epcot International Gate and Hollywood Studios. The room are clean and up to date, its really a win win for me and my wife. My issue with some of the true Disney hotels is first their price. Unless you want to stay at a Value, I don't see how you can justify a $350 a night Beach club room that isn't up to date and has paper thin walls, where just a few steps away is the Swan and Dolphin. Just my 2 cents

My response was to a side question (which I quoted) about the Hotel Plaza Blvd hotels, not the Swolphin.

-Rob

JusticeDisney

FYI, the Beach Club was just totally renovated. The rooms are as up to date as can possibly be.

DiSnEyF@n

I know this is an older post, but I have a question that some on here might be able to answer. I am booked for the Dolphin, reservations are linked on MDE app and our tickets are purchased.... we have 68 days until our first day of our trip. When I go to the fastpass page on my MDE I’m only given the next 30 days open for fastpass selections. My question is: will the 60 day window not open up until I’m 60 days out? I don’t want to wake up on day 60 and have a difficult time getting my picks. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know this is an older post, but I have a question that some on here might be able to answer. I am booked for the Dolphin, reservations are linked on MDE app and our tickets are purchased.... we have 68 days until our first day of our trip. When I go to the fastpass page on my MDE I’m only given the next 30 days open for fastpass selections. My question is: will the 60 day window not open up until I’m 60 days out? I don’t want to wake up on day 60 and have a difficult time getting my picks. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

This is the usual nail-biter. Your 60 day access doesn't show up until you hit the 60 day mark. That morning, it should allow you do see 60 days + length of stay days ahead for FPs.

winstongator

This is my opinion of the Swan and Dolphin as well. We drive and we’re passholders, so if we were rushed we’d drive to parks, if now didn’t mind the bus. Didn’t use bus much, but the time we took to AK was fine wait wise.

LUVofDIS

We love the S&D, of all the Disney hotels (at least on Disney property) we have stayed at we find these the most comfortable and have the best access. The transportation is shared with the BC and YC and there is usually very little wait, at least compared to the moderates and values. Plus the beds are the best.

We always do FP+ 60 days out even though they show 30 days. You will have no problem, just be sure your reservation is linked before the 60 day mark. Of course you probably made ADR so you should already know if you are linked.

DiSnEyF@n

We love the S&D, of all the Disney hotels (at least on Disney property) we have stayed at we find these the most comfortable and have the best access. The transportation is shared with the BC and YC and there is usually very little wait, at least compared to the moderates and values. Plus the beds are the best.

We always do FP+ 60 days out even though they show 30 days. You will have no problem, just be sure your reservation is linked before the 60 day mark. Of course you probably made ADR so you should already know if you are linked.
This puts me at ease also. Thanks so much!

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
FYI, the Beach Club was just totally renovated. The rooms are as up to date as can possibly be.
I actually just stayed at the Yacht Club in January 2018 (since my comment was from March 2017 haha) and was really impressed. While its still a bit pricey for say a weekend trip, its quite worth it for a Week stay. I find the Dolphin and Swan perfect for a 3 nights or less trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom