Best Animated Picture Predictions (Oscars 2017)

What 5 movies will be nominated for Best Animated Feature?

• Zootopia

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Moana

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Finding Dory

• The Little Prince

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • The Secret Life of Pets

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Sing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trolls

• Kung Fu Panda 3

• The Red Turtle

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Kubo and the Two Strings

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Over the past few days, I've been thinking about how 2016 seems to be a pretty animation-heavy year, especially in the realm of talking animals (Jungle Book, Zootopia, Finding Dory, Secret Life of Pets, Sing!, Ice Age...). Mostly, I've been thinking about whether or not Jungle Book could be classified as an animated movie. The Academy states that "An animated feature film is defined as a motion picture with a running time of more than 40 minutes, in which movement and characters’ performances are created using a frame-by-frame technique. Motion capture by itself is not an animation technique. In addition, a significant number of the major characters must be animated, and animation must figure in no less than 75 percent of the picture’s running time."

With a strong year like this, there will probably be 5 films nominated. Deciding which 5, however, is a bit tricky. Also deciding whether the minimal motion capture used in JB will be used against it. I've included the front runners in the poll.
Zootopia- Disney
Moana- Disney
Finding Dory- Pixar
The Little Prince- Paramount/Netflix
The Secret Life of Pets- Dreamworks
Sing- Dreamworks
Trolls- Dreamworks
Kung Fu Panda 3- Dreamworks
The Red Turtle- Studio Ghibli
Kubo and the Two Strings- Laika

Last edited:

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Finding Dory is definitely going to be nominated because Pixar. I wouldn't be surprised if it won either, because Pixar...

I want Zootopia to win, but who knows

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Finding Dory is definitely going to be nominated because Pixar. I wouldn't be surprised if it won either, because Pixar...

I want Zootopia to win, but who knows
When it comes to Pixar sequels, they have a bit of a mixed success rate. Cars 2 & Monsters University were left off of the nominations lists, but Dory is a much better film. I think Disney could manage to get both Moana & Zootopia nominated, just judging from the Moana trailers.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
You left off Angry Birds and Sausage Party, Storks is also coming out later on this month as well.
I could only choose 10 for the poll, so I went with those that are being mentioned a lot on Oscar blogs. Angry Birds had miserable reviews, so I don't see it being nominated. Storks and Sausage Party could both be nominated, but idk if they could break the 'Pixar/Disney/Dreamworks/Laika/foreign' pattern that's held for the last several years (I know that there isn't always a Pixar, Dreamworks, or Disney offering, but the past two years alone, there have been at least two foreign films nominated).

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Sony is allowing Sausage Party to have an Oscar campaign. They're looking at both the 'Best Animated' and 'Original Song' categories.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
The Golden Globes nomination list for Best Motion Picture (Animated)
  • Kubo and the Two Strings
  • Zootopia
  • Sing
  • My Life as a Zucchini
  • Moana
I think the biggest surprise here is that Finding Dory didn't make the list.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Sing isn't even out yet so I haven't a clue as to why that would be nominated.

It's being released on Dec 21. Anything that gets put into theatres before Dec 31 (even in limited release) and has a screening for critics before the ballot deadline can qualify. Sing even had free screenings across the USA a couple of weeks ago to spread word of mouth.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
The BAFTAs were held last night, and the winner of the animation category was Kubo. There were only 4 films nominated- Moana, Zootopia, Finding Dory, and Kubo. This is a bit of a shake up, IMO.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
The BAFTAs were held last night, and the winner of the animation category was Kubo. There were only 4 films nominated- Moana, Zootopia, Finding Dory, and Kubo. This is a bit of a shake up, IMO.

In the past I think they've always followed one another, though I think this year it isn't as clean cut as in the past. I haven't seen Kubo, but I heard it was great. I saw Zootopia and thought it was incredible, I loved the sensitive subject it touched upon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom