Most nostalgic for you?

Eddie Garrison

Finding this last week in a box I had no idea I still had. It's from the Grosvenor Resort, which is now the Wyndham LBV.

I stayed here the better part of over 250+ nights growing up with trips down from Pensacola with my father. We began staying there in 1987 on our annual 14 day trip in the Summer. That quickly turned into as many time as we could down after & before the 14 day bender during Summer. Usually around 25 or so day a year were spent at Disney.

The property went through many names of the years. It started as The American Dutch Inn > Grosvenor Resort > Regal Sun and now it's the Wyndham LBV.

I have so many wonderful memories of this property, it truly was Disney to me as a child and even now when we drive past it heading wherever on property ... I can still recall all those memories like they were yesterday.

14681703_10100811984119612_2374027797143679301_n.jpg

My father saved every penny he could throughout the year to make certain we had our father/son trips whenever we could go. It was the best times of my life & I still reflect on those each & every time we go to the parks. I knew how hard he worked to make certain we could go as much as we could.

A few years back, I was in a position to where I could afford to repay those times and took him to Disney World where I picked up the tab. A very special trip for me and I my father. We did everything just like we did when I was younger. Such a great trip.

kathrynwmurphy

30 or so trips in my 33 years.... there's so much to cherish! My parents used to carry me around, now they carry my young daughters around! Entrance and Innoventions music, watching the fireworks at MK on our last night, ImageWorks at Imagination, SpectroMagic music. I remember when I was finally tall enough to ride the mountain ranges, so BTMRR, Splash and SM are all near and dear to my heart. Walking into the Wilderness Lodge when we first arrive on property, seeing the WDW and MK signs on our way to the resort, the monorail through the Contemporary (classic) ... so many things!

cursivesailor

My favorite memory, and thank god its on video, is little me on my dad shoulders screaming for the people in the parade to throw something to me. My mother can be heard it the background telling my dad to "tell her they dont do that here" but he just laughed it off.

Apparently you can take the girl out of New Orleans, but you cant take the New Orleans out of the girl.

thumper

The Contemporary makes me nostalgic, especially the scent of the lobby.

Me as well - I always make it a point to visit the Contemporary, even if it's just a monorail ride through it. It was the hotel that we stayed at on my 1st trip back in 1977 and I'm still in awe of it. I also love viewing it from the WL boat to the MK.

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
If You Had Wings. One of my few memories from my first trip.

Oh, Eastern Airlines....Loved that ride!

I fell in love with The Enchanted Tiki Room when I first went there. Absolutely HATED it when they changed it to "Under New Management" and so glad that it's back to its original format when I was there in September. Jungle Cruise is as corny as ever that now I can play along with the Skipper. :D:D

EasyRover

There's so many things that evoke nostalgia for me in Disney World and what makes it so special.

The smell of Pirates of the Caribbean and that feeling of cool air when you get up to the skeleton steering the wheel in the storm.

Every bit of Carousel of Progress. I could ride this over and over again and have the biggest smile on my face.

"It's A Small World" song.

The stretching room in Haunted Mansion.

The buildings of Main Street USA.

The original model during People Mover.

Any kind of voice over or narration throughout the parks and transportation.

voodoo321

Oh and I always try to get a Small World window seat at Pinnochio's Village Haus, or above the walkway at Liberty Tree. I have ingrained memories of those two.

Disney4family

I've said it here before - there's a bump on the monorail line once it passes through The Contemporary Resort. For some reason, that's the memory that has stayed with me since February 1973.
We stayed off site and had to take the monorail from the TTC. I just knew that once we went over that bump each day, I would be there.
Now that BLT is my "home" and I practically live in the shops and restaurants of The Contemporary, I am always reminded of my childhood ride through there to that magical world of fantasy and I feel so blessed to be able to "live" there when I am away from reality. That's my nostalgic moment and will always be.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
There are so many happy memories that come to mind. But the one memory that had the most impact upon my mother and I (back in 1985), was walking down Main Street USA and seeing Cinderella Castle in the distance.

Princess Leia

My trips to Disney growing up were almost always family trips (minus the year that my sister's dance troupe went down to perform in Tomorrowland, but my family went along with her). One of my best memories (that is somewhere on tape and I've been meaning to find it) is when Belle had her storytime outside. I'm not sure if it only happened this one time, or if they had a habit of casting adult men to play the Beast (instead of little kids like they do now), but my dad was chosen to be him, and he was given these giant Beast hands to wear. I don't think my sister and I had a part in this (maybe she did- I really don't remember if I did or not), but we loved having our dad in on the action, and he had a great time too.

Fast forward 10+ years, and my parents ended up going to Disney without us (and without telling us). I was looking through my mom's photos of their Florida trip (they didn't mention going to Orlando), and noticed a picture of my dad standing guard... next to a woman in a yellow ballgown. Once again, he was chosen to be a part of Belle's storytime, just in a different role.

When I get nostalgic about Disney, I definitely think about this first and foremost. It really brings out the kid in everyone.

copcarguyp71

I read this thread yesterday but wanted to put some thought into it because I did not want to confuse fandom with nostalgia in my head.

The thing that makes me feel the most nostalgic is the trip through the tunnel from the courtyard in front on Main Street station into Main Street USA and then the associated sights and sounds that wash over you (and I am not talking about the Castle). Nothing brings back memories and feelings quite like this. I remember specific days and faces of my grandparents now dead many years along with seeing my daughter at all the different ages that we visited simply by thinking about all those trips through the tunnel over the years. Having made trips since 1977 this specific part of the parks brings back the most memories which is funny because it is not a really iconic area of the park but there you have it...a trip through the cobwebs in my head.

Goofyernmost

To be honest, I have given a lot of thought to this question and was frankly unable to think of one specific thing, attraction or otherwise that was nastalgic for me.

Then it finally came to me. The point in time when my emotions peak in any visit to WDW is when I drive into the parking lot of MK. When I first went, my initial exposure to WDW was MK. I remember the excitement rising as I drove in and observed the mind boggling (to me) organized system of parking cars. (I know it seems simple now, but at the time I came from a place that never had events big enough to have a parking situation like that.) I was amazed, but, not just at the parking process, but, the timing of the trams and how they were able to repeatedly say what lane we were parked in even though there were hundreds of us on the tram. (again simple now, but not back then) The ride in with the CM making announcement about highlights of the day and making jokes. The going through the TTC and choosing between the Monorail (first time there) and the ferry. I usually, after that took the Ferry to MK because I enjoyed the cruise and watching MK get closer and closer and the excitement that I felt within. Now to throw in the weird part... I was 35 at the time, hardly an impressionable child. That feeling gets repeated every time I have entered that parking lot on the way to MK over the last 34 years. Surprisingly, the whole feeling started when driving up World Drive and tuning in the radio which seemed to be following us the entire time. (once more, simple now, but, at the time it was just blowing my mind. I later asked how it was done and it was really not very complex a system, just seemed it to me.)

Last edited:

Scooter

Don't ask me why. There's no logical explanation, but I get very nostalgic for the Living With the Land attraction. Every time I go on it I start remembering things from years gone by like the song Listen To The Land that used to be played on it and the fact that they had a real person doing the narration years ago. I still Love the attraction despite the changes and go on it twice each trip.

spacemt354

Chili's
I recently saw a thread that asked a favorite part about the people mover which inspired me to write this. I briefly talked about how when I was younger seeing the Epcot prototype and going through the Buzz ride were pretty much all I remembered about Disney World. I went once when i was a kid and recently started going around twice a year and those two parts of the ride always bring back great memories. So I wanted to ask what show, attraction, restaurant or really anything at Disney is nostalgic for you for whatever reason and why?
I would say revisiting hotels that I've stayed at in the past on the current trip. It's almost like I'm on multiple vacations at once! I can walk into the Wilderness Lodge and immediately flashback years ago. That is always something I look forward to.

That and the WDW Today TV channel in the room!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom