Space Mountain question

andrelaplume

Original Poster
I am dating myself but the prior to this trip, the last time I rode the sucker was a decade ago. I seem to recall part of the 'fun' of the 'trip in the dark' was that the rockets had glow strips on their sides. At various times, being in the dark, at that time unable to see anything except the stars above, it would appear you were about to crash into another rocket that appeared out of nowhere and whizzed by you....evidenced by the neon glow strip that zoomed in front of you. Now those strips are gone. Does anyone know why they were removed?

donsullivan

Premium Member
Those strips were removed during the last refurb of Space Mountain. This is the one that closed in the ceiling of the queue area so you could no longer see the track above you when you were standing in line. One of the goals of that refurb cycle was to make the overall ride experience darker and as a part of that goal they removed the glow stripes on the side of the ride vehicles.

JIMINYCR

it would appear you were about to crash into another rocket that appeared out of nowhere and whizzed by you

Blame it on Guest comments..... probably guests were traumatized by the imagined close calls and some changes had to be made before heart attacks, vomiting, children nightmares and law suits happened. At least it didnt suffer the same as Alien Encounter.

Bairstow

The official line was to remove the "light bubble" around vehicles that "illuminated the track"

Believe that if you want.

I truly do believe it. It sounds like a great idea on paper.

Only after I rode the current version of the ride did I realize how lame and boring the changes had made the ride.

Every change they made since the FedEx sponsorship ended has made that ride worse.

andrelaplume

Original Poster
Due to lack of sleep, I seriously at first read that as in you were "dating" yourself before the trip (was about to congratulate you). ...more sleep needed here...[/QUO
Due to lack of sleep, I seriously at first read that as in you were "dating" yourself before the trip (was about to congratulate you). ...more sleep needed here...
....after 30 years, a few people comments mattered????.....to me that's what made it thrilling as opposed to an indoor dark wild mouse like ride...what next...lights in the haunted mansion?...replacing the creepy tapestry of Maelstrom in Norway with some sort of pretty princess tour....oh wait....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom