Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

RSoxNo1

LOL at least they are waking up finally....
I swear to God half the people on this site could spend their money better than they do.

These are a bunch of things I wrote in 2013:

July 7, 2013:

What is known is that the math simply “didn’t work” for Disney to guarantee 3 Fastpass+ reservations for every guest for every day when guests were limited to the current Fastpass attractions. To compensate for this, Disney has added Fastpass+ to attractions that previously didn’t need it. The biggest objection to this is that it’s woefully shortsighted. Once again, Disney is attempting to repackage what’s already in the parks as opposed to revitalizing the parks with innovative new attractions. I say this with the understanding that new attractions will likely be announced soon, but the Fastpass+ changes are also still imminent.
Link: http://micechat.com/34743-fixing-fastpass/

April 14, 2013:
In an article saying I wanted something of Cars Land's quality, just not Cars Land. At the end of the article I call for Star Wars Land and expansion of assorted Pixar properties.
Cars Land works in California Adventure because it’s something that can’t be experienced anywhere else. To Disneyland fans, California Adventure was stale almost instantly and an investment into that park was much needed. That investment paid off significantly with some speculation that California Adventure actually saw an attendance spike of close to 60% in 2012.

It seems there is a belief amongst Disney’s Orlando operations that the theme park market has matured. This belief is publicly reinforced by less aggressive attraction spending in recent years. Comparatively, Universal Studios has been more aggressive building new attractions, resulting in significant increases to attendance. With Transformers the Ride 3-D opening within the next few months, Springfield opening shortly thereafter, and Phase 2 of Harry Potter expected to open in 2015, Comcast and Universal aren’t backing down. Even if construction were to begin tomorrow, it’s unlikely that Disney would open a substantial addition to Hollywood Studios prior to Phase 2 of Harry Potter. For this reason, I predict that one or more Universal Studios parks will have a higher attendance than one or more Disney World parks by 2016.
Link: http://micechat.com/26637-open-letter-to-disney-fixing-the-hollywood-studios/

March 19, 2013:
I applaud the investment in infrastructure, but infrastructure has never been anything more than the cost of doing business. Infrastructure should never be considered a driver of attendance. More importantly, while the advantages of this new infrastructure can improve the guest experience, other infrastructure issues are being ignored. The monorail system has been abused and neglected to the point where necessary maintenance has limited its operation during Evening Extra Magic Hours. Routine attraction maintenance has been ignored, Evening Extra Magic Hours have been cut from three hours to two, and the attraction lineup during Extra Magic Hours was downgraded as well. This points to the inaccurate mentality within Disney that all attractions are created equal. Replacing Splash Mountain with The Enchanted Tiki Room during Evening Extra Magic Hours is not an even exchange. More importantly, it is speculated that Extra Magic Hours are not long for Walt Disney World, making the extent of the cuts more substantial than what has already occurred.
Link: http://micechat.com/24073-disney-fastpass-plus/
Perhaps my biggest objection to the entire Next Gen project is the misallocation of funds. Reports have the investment at over $1 billion dollars to “fix” aspects of Walt Disney World that weren’t really broken. It’s an investment intended to repackage the existing offerings as opposed to building new ones. If given the choice I would much rather see the company return their focus to building quality attractions that drive attendance. After all, in the words of John Lasseter, “Quality is the best business plan.”

While there's more of this, I tried to explain the "why" of this in this article from July 21, 2013: http://micechat.com/36201-throwing-in-the-towel/

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
TSL has gone vertical

Photos by @mickeyxtreme (twitter)

View attachment 169305

For reference:
TSL-Overview.jpg
Overlaying the artist rendering with the aerial shot.

TSL%20Overlay_zpsxjx5fpnc.png

Brian Swan

Thanks, this is cool! It really shows the front left corner as kind of wasted space, doesn't it?
Ithink the coaster will probably come a lot further into that corner than the overlaid art indicates. The roblem with taking a 2D painting drawn in perspective from one angle is that things in the distance have to be made relatively smaller. In this transformation, what was originally the "furthest away" in the painting (e.g. the back section of the coaster) has become the closest object to the front.

Brian Swan

As I said in a previous post, all attempts at rotating photos and altering perspectives is somewhat flawed, but here is my take at it keeping the artist's rendering in it's original orientation and attempting to coax the actual land plot to fit "under it".

TSL Overlay.jpg

Still far from perfect, but I think it shows land utilization a bit better. One thing I've noticed, based on current construction, the relative orientation of the spinner pads seems to be markedly different than he position of the ride in the artist's rendition. It may just be another example of forcing one picture onto another, or it could be an indication that the painting is more "artistic" and less "architectural" (which may be a good thing).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The pond and the building within the red line are staying for now, so that pretty much limits how far south TSL will go. The only thing that is not clear is how far into the old Cat Canyon area, SWL will go.
View attachment 170791
SWL will just about stop short of Cat Canyon. It's westerly border will roughly be inline with the east side of the old north-south canal.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As I said in a previous post, all attempts at rotating photos and altering perspectives is somewhat flawed, but here is my take at it keeping the artist's rendering in it's original orientation and attempting to coax the actual land plot to fit "under it".

View attachment 170794

Still far from perfect, but I think it shows land utilization a bit better. One thing I've noticed, based on current construction, the relative orientation of the spinner pads seems to be markedly different than he position of the ride in the artist's rendition. It may just be another example of forcing one picture onto another, or it could be an indication that the painting is more "artistic" and less "architectural" (which may be a good thing).
Here is the TSL land utilisation:

TSL layout.jpg

(details omitted for obvious reasons but scale is correct)

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I do like all your color coding, but, the only thing I am sure of is the red coaster track. what are the rest of the colors representing?
Orange is coaster building / garage / queue
Yellow quick service counter and restrooms
Purple the Alien spinners
Red on the right the new TSMM entrance and queue
And green is the boundary of the land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom