Just realized how expensive...

R W B

Original Poster
...Disney Resorts are!

I've never paid for a 'suite' type room at any hotel myself, just a basic hotel room that I'd only be in for a night. I've been to Vegas and South Beach but my company paid for that. If im someplace on vacation (other than WDW) then I try and rent a condo/house. So with that said my fiancé and I are getting married in December and we have been visiting multiple hotels in downtown New Orleans (we live here) to see their suites and plan where we want to stay on our wedding night. Well Disney sure has corrupted us because the prices we're getting from some of the top hotels in New Orleans for 700-1600sqft suites is basically the price of a Disney moderate resort room and that's so not what we were expecting lol.

I get that Disney offers perks to those that stay on property but, wow. It's an eye opener to see what another huge tourists destination as in New Orleans charges. I always knew the hotels off Disney property were decently cheaper but I thought they had to be to compete, I wasn't expecting those same cheap prices here locally though lol.

Definitely going to think twice about staying off property next time.

(Mods move of wrong section,sorry)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I know The Roosevelt is not in that list! Haha! We only stay at The Roosevelt when going to New Orleans now since 2010ish when it reopened and the suites (or even regular rooms depending when) are wayyy more than WDW moderate rooms most of the year. We are spoiled to The Roosevelt. The suites used to be cheaper when they first reopened and we stayed in them many times but now they are a lot more as years have gone on. We now usually stay in Queen Superior room which is much like one of the smaller suites minus the bathroom which is much smaller than the bathrooms in the suites but its usually much more reasonably priced.
But I do see your point as when traveling anywhere besides WDW rooms can be cheaper or same price but for a nicer room.
I still refuse to stay offsite though even though we are aware of that and always have been. We even still joined DVC knowing these differences because we love being in the bubble when there. :)

21stamps

I know The Roosevelt is not in that list! Haha! We only stay at The Roosevelt when going to New Orleans now since 2010ish when it reopened and the suites (or even regular rooms depending when) are wayyy more than WDW moderate rooms most of the year. We are spoiled to The Roosevelt. The suites used to be cheaper when they first reopened and we stayed in them many times but now they are a lot more as years have gone on. We now usually stay in Queen Superior room which is much like one of the smaller suites minus the bathroom which is much smaller than the bathrooms in the suites but its usually much more reasonably priced.
But I do see your point as when traveling anywhere besides WDW rooms can be cheaper or same price but for a nicer room.
I still refuse to stay offsite though even though we are aware of that and always have been. We even still joined DVC knowing these differences because we love being in the bubble when there. :)
We stayed at the Bourbon in their 2 floor suites a couple of times. Not as pricy as the Roosevelt but still more than Disney moderates. MUCH better rooms than even a Disney Deluxe though!

OP- just remember you're paying for convenience when at Disney...and transportation..magical express etc. That's about the only way to justify the expense, there's no way to do it by comparing just the rooms.
I'm currently planning our summer pre cruise stay in Seattle, so I feel ya on sticker shock! Seattle has made it easier to justify Disney for me this year.lol. I had no clue that their hotels were so pricy.

sxeensweet

We stayed at the Bourbon in their 2 floor suites a couple of times. Not as pricy as the Roosevelt but still more than Disney moderates. MUCH better rooms than even a Disney Deluxe though!

OP- just remember you're paying for convenience when at Disney...and transportation..magical express etc. That's about the only way to justify the expense, there's no way to do it by comparing just the rooms.
I'm currently planning our summer pre cruise stay in Seattle, so I feel ya on sticker shock! Seattle has made it easier to justify Disney for me this year.lol. I had no clue that their hotels were so pricy.

Agree you are definately paying for convienience when at WDW, and agree we have been in rooms much nicer than even the Deluxes at WDW elsewhere for cheaper.
We have not stayed at The Bourbon in those suites before but have seen pictures and they are beautiful.
I heard Seattle is pricey but have yet to go visit the west coast but we really want to at some point. Thanks for the warning! Haha! ;)

R W B

Original Poster
Honestly no, it's not one that were looking at. We've been to Domenica a bunch and the lobby is great during Christmas season but we're not a fan of the rooms and we're looking for something close to the River. We were also told they don't allow bridal party pics in the lobby but I could of swore I've seen them before. I did check it for the dates we need and the 1300sqft Astoria Suite is $600 so it's more then a moderate but still not bad for what you get. They other suites that were less expensive too.

We've looked at both Marriotts on Canal St, the Sheraton, the Westin, the Hilton Riverside, Lowes and Harris and we've gotten rates between $300-$600 from them. So far I like Lowes the best with its layout and views of both the city and the river.

R W B

Original Poster

Right, you do get a bunch of perks for staying on property so I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Minnesota disney fan

...Disney Resorts are!

I've never paid for a 'suite' type room at any hotel myself, just a basic hotel room that I'd only be in for a night. I've been to Vegas and South Beach but my company paid for that. If im someplace on vacation (other than WDW) then I try and rent a condo/house. So with that said my fiancé and I are getting married in December and we have been visiting multiple hotels in downtown New Orleans (we live here) to see their suites and plan where we want to stay on our wedding night. Well Disney sure has corrupted us because the prices we're getting from some of the top hotels in New Orleans for 700-1600sqft suites is basically the price of a Disney moderate resort room and that's so not what we were expecting lol.

I get that Disney offers perks to those that stay on property but, wow. It's an eye opener to see what another huge tourists destination as in New Orleans charges. I always knew the hotels off Disney property were decently cheaper but I thought they had to be to compete, I wasn't expecting those same cheap prices here locally though lol.

Definitely going to think twice about staying off property next time.

(Mods move of wrong section,sorry)

Yea, just don't get married there in the evening. Cost? $180,000.00!!

ParentsOf4

In some ways, a one-bedroom villa at a DVC Resort offers the best onsite "value" since it's double the square footage at roughly 50% higher cost of a single room at the same hotel.

For example, in early December a Beach Club Villas one-bedroom averages $705/night while a Beach Club standard room averages $513/night.

Still though, that's significantly more than I typically pay in North American and European cities for comparable hotels that are "convenient". ;)

21stamps

Agree you are definately paying for convienience when at WDW, and agree we have been in rooms much nicer than even the Deluxes at WDW elsewhere for cheaper.
We have not stayed at The Bourbon in those suites before but have seen pictures and they are beautiful.
I heard Seattle is pricey but have yet to go visit the west coast but we really want to at some point. Thanks for the warning! Haha! ;)
I immediately looked at the Four Seasons, then immediately crossed it off the list!!
Over $900 per night for a standard room.

I'm a huge fan of boutique hotels, so looking at those now..most are in the $400 range. I had no clue it was this expensive...I'm debating just staying a few blocks away for about 40% less. Luckily we are only doing 2-3 nights pre cruise, afterwards we are renting a car and doing a road trip around the Olympic Peninsula stopping at 4 cheap hotels/motels along the way.lol

Oh and here's something funny about the hotel that I'm leaning towards in Seattle- they offer a "cruise package" at a higher rate-it includes breakfast for 2, but no transportation to the port. I thought that was odd.

cursivesailor

...we have been visiting multiple hotels in downtown New Orleans (we live here) to see their suites and plan where we want to stay on our wedding night. Well Disney sure has corrupted us because the prices we're getting from some of the top hotels in New Orleans for 700-1600sqft suites is basically the price of a Disney moderate resort room and that's so not what we were expecting lol.)

I am also from NOLA and got married a few years back. We stayed at the Roosevelt. It was during the holidays, and god their lobby is magical when all decked out for xmas. I cant tell you enough how much I would recommend that hotel for your wedding. We had a suite and it was amazing. They sent up champagne and strawberries while they knew we were out of the room. The ladies in the gift shop sent us a christmas ornament as a wedding present (The manager saw me when we arrived in my dress). It was above and beyond what I expected. The walk in shower had like 100 shower heads hehehe. And we ate dinner at Domenica that night because we ended up starving around 9. We go back there every year for our anniversary even.

Congrats!

yoda_5729

Right, you do get a bunch of perks for staying on property so I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

If the hotel happens to be in the French Quarter, from what I'm aware, parking is almost universally 30 bucks a night at all the hotels, even if you are a guest. At Disney parking is free, so that's one positive.

sxeensweet

Honestly no, it's not one that were looking at. We've been to Domenica a bunch and the lobby is great during Christmas season but we're not a fan of the rooms and we're looking for something close to the River. We were also told they don't allow bridal party pics in the lobby but I could of swore I've seen them before. I did check it for the dates we need and the 1300sqft Astoria Suite is $600 so it's more then a moderate but still not bad for what you get. They other suites that were less expensive too.

We've looked at both Marriotts on Canal St, the Sheraton, the Westin, the Hilton Riverside, Lowes and Harris and we've gotten rates between $300-$600 from them. So far I like Lowes the best with its layout and views of both the city and the river.

We personally love the rooms at The Roosevelt having also stayed in an Astoria Suite (the Astoria suites all have a slightly different layout and decor but that huge Clawfoot tub in the bathroom is to die for in the Astoria suites that have it (I one day want that huge clawfoot tub called the Birthday bath by Kohler in my future larger house!! Lol) and love the overall feel there but everyone likes different places and yes it's not close to the river. Domenica is one of our faves too love the rabbit tagliatelle pasta. Yum! And yes that is odd about bridal party pictures because I have seen them taken in the lobby before too more than once.
The others you are looking at are great choices as well! Can't go wrong with any of those. I hope y'all have an amazing stay and wedding day at whichever you pick!! :D:inlove:

sxeensweet

If the hotel happens to be in the French Quarter, from what I'm aware, parking is almost universally 30 bucks a night at all the hotels, even if you are a guest. At Disney parking is free, so that's one positive.

Or more, even outside of the French quarter. The Roosevelt was $48 plus tax last time we stayed there so over $50 a day to park your car even as a hotel guest. So WDW parking that some people complain about even valet (which is only $20) is so much cheaper than in New Orleans. Even the public parking and garages can easily be $25-$30 a day in NOLA not at a hotel. So parking at WDW I never complain about. When visiting any lager cities it has been outrageous when we travel at the hotels especially. :eek::greedy:

Last edited:

sxeensweet

I am also from NOLA and got married a few years back. We stayed at the Roosevelt. It was during the holidays, and god their lobby is magical when all decked out for xmas. I cant tell you enough how much I would recommend that hotel for your wedding. We had a suite and it was amazing. They sent up champagne and strawberries while they knew we were out of the room. The ladies in the gift shop sent us a christmas ornament as a wedding present (The manager saw me when we arrived in my dress). It was above and beyond what I expected. The walk in shower had like 100 shower heads hehehe. And we ate dinner at Domenica that night because we ended up starving around 9. We go back there every year for our anniversary even.

Congrats!

Oh my gosh yes LOVE The Roosevelt at Christmastime. So beautiful! Hoping to visit this season but if not we will be there to stay in January when we go see The Lion King at Saenger Theater. Even down to the huge gift shop that has beautiful items for sale that varies all the time (unlike many gift shops that aren't even worth a look) we absolutely love The Roosevelt! My wallet does not love it or the gift shop though. Hehe! :p

R W B

Original Poster

Congrats!
Small world huh lol.

Sounds like you had a fantastic evening at the Roosevelt! We enjoy a visit once a xmas season but as far as the rooms go, we just like more modern designs.

R W B

Original Poster
Or more, even outside of the French quarter. The Roosevelt was $48 plus tax last time we stayed there so over $50 a day to park your car even as a hotel guest. So WDW parking that some people complain about even valet (which is only $20) is so much cheaper than in New Orleans. Even the public parking and garages can easily be $25-$30 a day in NOLA not at a hotel. So parking at WDW I never complain about. When visiting any lager cities it has been outrageous when we travel at the hotels especially. :eek::greedy:

Yes, parking can be ridiculous downtown....if you don't have connections lol. I have friends at many different hotels and parking lots/garages including The Rossevelt, Canal Place and a tag for any Central Parking lot so I rarely pay to park downtown. It's cheating, I know lol.

R W B

Original Poster
We personally love the rooms at The Roosevelt having also stayed in an Astoria Suite (the Astoria suites all have a slightly different layout and decor but that huge Clawfoot tub in the bathroom is to die for in the Astoria suites that have it (I one day want that huge clawfoot tub called the Birthday bath by Kohler in my future larger house!! Lol) and love the overall feel there but everyone likes different places and yes it's not close to the river. Domenica is one of our faves too love the rabbit tagliatelle pasta. Yum! And yes that is odd about bridal party pictures because I have seen them taken in the lobby before too more than once.
The others you are looking at are great choices as well! Can't go wrong with any of those. I hope y'all have an amazing stay and wedding day at whichever you pick!! :D:inlove:
In my experience (im a Realtor) people either love or hate those Clawfoot tubs, theirs no middle ground lol. I think I've had that dish from Domenica too and it was pretty tasty. Glad I'm not the only one that remembers seeing bridal party pics being taken too.

Thank you! Now that we have narrowed our hotel option down to a couple, maybe we can do tha same for our honey moon lol.

sxeensweet

Yes, parking can be ridiculous downtown....if you don't have connections lol. I have friends at many different hotels and parking lots/garages including The Rossevelt, Canal Place and a tag for any Central Parking lot so I rarely pay to park downtown. It's cheating, I know lol.

I would totally do the same and take advantage of those connections if we could while in New Orleans so don't feel bad (as I'm sure you don't because the parking prices can be ridiculous! Lol) , and I'm a stickler for following rules too usually. ;)

In my experience (im a Realtor) people either love or hate those Clawfoot tubs, theirs no middle ground lol. I think I've had that dish from Domenica too and it was pretty tasty. Glad I'm not the only one that remembers seeing bridal party pics being taken too.

Thank you! Now that we have narrowed our hotel option down to a couple, maybe we can do tha same for our honey moon lol.

Decisions Decisions! Lol
Oh and I don't usually like any clawfoots I have ever seen BUT the one in the Astoria Suites I just loved it. I priced it to see and well to buy that one is $4000-$7000 give of take so I'll just dream and use it while staying at The Roosevelt next time we stay in the suite. Lol.
And You're so very welcome!!! Congrats again it is such an exciting time. Enjoy it!!! :happy:

BigRedDad

A 2BR unit at Wyndham Bonnet Creek can be had at Peak times for about $160-$200 a night. Equivalent rooms at WDW (not the Suites at AoA) will run over $600 a night. I am in the middle of pricing out options for our trip next Summer. I can stay at a Value resort for $150 - $200 a night, Moderate for $220 - $300 a night. These are for Studio rooms.

I am seriously thinking about saving the money, buy APs, and take 2 trips next year. I can stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a 2BR unit with full kichen, 2 baths, better than Disney accommodations, for 10 nights at $1,400 (yes, I have the quote from the owner offering it). Comparing this to what we had wanted (AoA and 10-day tickets) the price is $3,300. WBC + APs is $3,800. For $500 more, I can get passes for a year and accommodations that are much better. APs give me free parking and we drive to most parks anyway because buses are horrible in our experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom