Is Rock 'n' Roller Coaster changing its theme soon?

Incomudro

I wish they would do seasonal overlays at WDW. Could you imagine having the traditional Aerosmith version for Spring or Summer with some other alternate for the other season, KISS for Halloween and something like the Beach Boys with Little Saint Nick for Christmas?

Err...
How does an exciting roller coaster mesh with the Beach Boys or Christmas music?

MKeeler

Err...
How does an exciting roller coaster mesh with the Beach Boys or Christmas music?

What matters most is the tempo. It needs to be fast and convey a certain beat. I used the Beach Boys as they were a still living Rock and Roll band that had a couple of really identifiable Christmas numbers. The better Christmas song would be something like Run, Run Rudolph by Chuck Berry. The song has a really quick beat and can be really rocked depending on the version, plus the lyrics help convey the general story the ride tries to convey (i.e. "we have to get there in a hurry"). The Christmas version could easily be "we have to get these gifts there in a hurry, so step on the gas."

Buried20KLeague

I wish they would do seasonal overlays at WDW. Could you imagine having the traditional Aerosmith version for Spring or Summer with some other alternate for the other season, KISS for Halloween and something like the Beach Boys with Little Saint Nick for Christmas?

That would never happen. Because of cost, and because they would have to re-formulate the story the ride tells each season (which also costs money).

It popped into my head that it could be cool for them to change the music yearly, maybe to the top 5 "family friendly" songs of the past year (and I HATE current music, btw) and use projection mapping technology on the track and surrounding props like they do on the castle.

But even with something like that, it would take away the story of the ride. They would have to shoehorn it in some other way.

On top of that, they would have to secure rights to use the music (and potnetially images) each year. Which may or may not be possible... I don't know how that works.

My vote is to keep Aerosmith, personally. Their music is much more timeless than any of the new junk that gets played these days. What's been popular the past 15 years is the equivalent of disco.

MKeeler

That would never happen. Because of cost, and because they would have to re-formulate the story the ride tells each season (which also costs money). .

Oh, I know, that's unfortunately true given the way TDO views things. The frustrating part is that with the proliferation of screens and stage based attractions, DHS is probably the easiest park at WDW to implement seasonal overlays quickly and relatively inexpensively. And TDO will never do it. How often has Toy Story Mania been updated despite the promises in the original marketing pitch?

Buried20KLeague

Oh, I know, that's unfortunately true given the way TDO views things. The frustrating part is that with the proliferation of screens and stage based attractions, DHS is probably the easiest park at WDW to implement seasonal overlays quickly and relatively inexpensively. And TDO will never do it. How often has Toy Story Mania been updated despite the promises in the original marketing pitch?

That's the same example I thought of. They said it would be updated routinely, and to my knowledge they've done it once... When TS3 came out in theatres.

Same with Star Tours. It took a massive release in theatres to change what we were told would have the ability to change frequently.

Unplugged

Err...
Here's the answer to how they could theme RnR to Christmas. I'd suggest using Brian Setzer for the studio having a conversation about the holiday song they just finished, Santa comes crashing in saying his sleigh broke down and he needs their help, but since he's running way late now, they need everyone to help deliver presents. Then, playing music from The Brian Setzer Orchestra, specifically excerpts from songs like Jingle Bells, Hey Santa!, Dig That Crazy Santa Claus, Getting In The Mood (For Christmas), Angels We Have Heard On High, etc.

Visual overlays in the ride could leverage Pixar's Prep & Landing with mix of digital showing gifts flying down Chimneys, the guys prepping a roof and waving as you fly by, roof landing lights near the end, etc. and all sorts of physical props & signage throughout.

Xmas is a clever idea if done right, and other than the music rights/studio film, wouldn't cost Disney a fortune. Plus they'd make a KILLING off all the Crirstmas RnR merchandise leveraging the Pixar guys. The whole Rock-a-billy thing would make it work IMHO. Upbeat, quick pace, a fun!

DisneyCane

If they were to replace Aerosmith with another band, I'd suggest Foo Fighters. Large catalog of recognizable, family friendly songs (comparatively speaking); they're a young band (again, comparatively speaking), and they've still got a ways before they're "old hat".

Foo Fighters? Obviously Aerosmith is getting long in the tooth and nearing the end of their career but they are MUCH more popular than the Foo Fighters. In the US, Aerosmith has sold over 45 million albums, Foo Fighters have sold fewer that 10 million in the US. If you just start counting Aerosmith with Get a Grip that was out only 2 years before the Foo Fighters debut, Aerosmith has sold over 11 million in the US. Hell, if you don't count Get a Grip, they've sold almost half as much as the Foo Fighters since the latter debuted.

If you have an attraction based on one band or artist, it has to be a multi-generational one. When it opened 17 years ago (man I'm getting old), Aerosmith was only a few years removed from a hugely popular album (with the young generation) while their original hits were 26 years old.

They should take it down, that sort of attraction and that sort of musical act are not appropriate to young children. something less intense would be better and if you must have music something from one of the young Disney artists where it is inoffensive would be magical.

I think/hope you are being sarcastic. For an inoffensive Disney artist, I suggest Hannah Montana. She turned out very magically inoffensive!

Foolish Mortal

I haven't read all 12 pages of this thread but wanted to add this, I noticed the gift shop is all generic stuff with the newer stuff having nothing with Aerosmith on it. Remaining Aero merchandise is in its own little section (full price of course).

I'm betting they won't theme to any one specific band/artist.

rnese

I honestly don't believe that any of these newer, current bands you guys are mentioning have ANY staying power what so ever. They too will be thrown on the trash heap of forgotten musical groups (Joining Glass Tiger, GTR, Dexie's Midnight Runners, and more), thus requiring yet another re-theming.

Here's a though...I'm sure the modern technology would allow for "Randomization" (Think Star Tours). Every few hours, the superimposed rock band in the pre show recording studio can change. The accompanying music in the train would match the band. So, you've already got Aerosmith recorded. Get great bands like AIR SUPPLY, STARLAND VOCAL BAND, PABLO CRUISE, LITTLE RIVER BAND ,etc. In there to record a pre show and...BAM!
Instant classic that will transcend generations for decades.

Biff215

I'd rip out the preshow in favor of an interactive queue similar to TT where guests get to customize their own soundtrack from a selection of songs Disney can license. No need for one band, and the name can stay. Sure Universal does the same thing down the street, but this would freshen up the ride without a major retheme. I have no problem with Aerosmith but their days are numbered as a band.

I'd also be happy to see GotG here as long as it lead to a super hero land that could connect that dead end to the rest of the park. Seems like a no brainer compared to shoving it into Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom