Sticker Shock

What's a better way to spend money?

• More stickers

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Printed napkins (like they used to have)

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Other

Votes: 19 38.8%

• Total voters

Donillary Crumpton

I've always found it odd that whenever a kid is having an un-magical day, the only solution is to throw some stickers at them o_O I know the small ones get entertained easily, but surely there has to be better ways at turning the frown upside down?
From personal experience, I've discovered that simply making a funny face, a funny sound, or jingling something shiny like car keys will turn a frown into laughs very quickly.

And since that method has worked so successfully on me lately, I may end up trying that on my own kids some day.

Goofyernmost

I've always found it odd that whenever a kid is having an un-magical day, the only solution is to throw some stickers at them o_O I know the small ones get entertained easily, but surely there has to be better ways at turning the frown upside down?
Drop the kid on their head. That will do it!

DManRightHere

Sorry. I just meant that the circular character stickers the cast members hand out to the kids end up everywhere, and because those stickers are as impossible to get off as graffiti is, I thought maybe you guys would have some better thoughts on how to spend the money. If we had a voice, anyway.

Hooray context! Lol!

I don't know who gives out stickers. A CM once gave us ones at Canada that she drew moose antlers on. It seemed appropriate enough.

As for the the stickers defacing the property, it is nice to have them for kids that may not be happy for some reason (not getting to buy something, or get a sweet, not big enough for a ride, etc), I guess any othee little toy would be more costly and a choking hazard. The stickers should be made to be removed easily enough I would assume...

Goofyernmost

Hooray context! Lol!

I don't know who gives out stickers. A CM once gave us ones at Canada that she drew moose antlers on. It seemed appropriate enough.

As for the the stickers defacing the property, it is nice to have them for kids that may not be happy for some reason (not getting to buy something, or get a sweet, not big enough for a ride, etc), I guess any othee little toy would be more costly and a choking hazard. The stickers should be made to be removed easily enough I would assume...
The only place I have ever gotten any was on the bus heading back to the resort as a prize for Disney trivia. I quickly stuck them on the bus windows in an effort to spread cheer wherever I go. :D

Sonconato

Original Poster
After my husband saw that I had posted this poll, he remembered as a kid he loved those temporary tattoos that you transferred to your skin by wetting the back. Seems like something like that would be fun for kids (and adults) since tattoos seem to be popular these days.

Siren

In theory, the stickers were a pretty neat idea at the core, and something special for children to enjoy while at the parks. Yet it was we the guest body who turned something meant to be fun into something trashing up the parks. In a world with a more enlightened; respectable public, this idea would have worked as intended, and not become an extra eyesore or chore for the cleaning crew.

So even though Disney meant well with this sticker concept, they were putting way too much faith in the average park guest to properly dispose of said sticker, and handle this mini-perk respectfully.
Hi @Donillary Crumpton! LOL. This is so true. It totally reminds me of yellow traffic lights. In theory, yellow traffic lights are supposed to alert the driver to use caution and to slow down and prepare to come to a full stop because of an upcoming red light. However, in most cases the yellow light has the polar opposite effect. Most drivers just gun it when they see the yellow light in order to beat the red light creating like more accidents and close calls and stuff. LOL.

Yea, and "pretty" is so important when one is wiping the mustard/saliva combination off ones chin. It makes for a more pleasant dumpster dive as well.
Hi @Goofyernmost! Yeah, you're totally right. Why have anything beautiful at all. Everything in the world should be brown and biodegradable, since we'll all return to the earth anyway. Sigh. LOL.

Goofyernmost

Hi @Donillary Crumpton! LOL. This is so true. It totally reminds me of yellow traffic lights. In theory, yellow traffic lights are supposed to alert the driver to use caution and to slow down and prepare to come to a full stop because of an upcoming red light. However, in most cases the yellow light has the polar opposite effect. Most drivers just gun it when they see the yellow light in order to beat the red light creating like more accidents and close calls and stuff. LOL.

Hi @Goofyernmost! Yeah, you're totally right. Why have anything beautiful at all. Everything in the world should be brown and biodegradable, since we'll all return to the earth anyway. Sigh. LOL.
And floral toilet paper as well. No, not everything must be beautiful and having a Disney logo on a paper napkin would be quite a stretch to call beautiful anyway. It was cool to have, but, it wasn't always that way anyway. It was lost because people put a false value on them and took them by handfuls to use at their home parties. Again it was our inability to see things beyond ourselves and understand that one person taking a handful of souvenirs is not a problem. Multiply that by thousands and thousands of people and you can run up quite a bill. The brown ones are more then likely recycled and no bleach was used to give us that pretty white piece of paper as well, so even though it is a small point, environmentally, it does have impact.

Siren

And floral toilet paper as well. No, not everything must be beautiful and having a Disney logo on a paper napkin would be quite a stretch to call beautiful anyway. It was cool to have, but, it wasn't always that way anyway. It was lost because people put a false value on them and took them by handfuls to use at their home parties. Again it was our inability to see things beyond ourselves and understand that one person taking a handful of souvenirs is not a problem. Multiply that by thousands and thousands of people and you can run up quite a bill. The brown ones are more then likely recycled and no bleach was used to give us that pretty white piece of paper as well, so even though it is a small point, environmentally, it does have impact.
Hi @Goofyernmost! It really is a shame if people were taking so many napkins . But, I still have serious doubts if that were really the cause -- it just seems more likely that Disney wanted to save money and opted for a cheaper alternative. But, like you said it's also better for the environment so I'm totally cool with it.

With that said, I can also see the OP's point -- instead of Disney handing out stickers, only for people to deface the property -- Disney could have put that money toward the pretty napkins.

Oh, and I have to assume that you have never heard of Renova toilet tissue.

10x7qe9.jpg

mc5c7k.jpg

Black and Red are the most popular colors and they're only $26 for 6 rolls. I prefer the Fuchsia. LOL.

Goofyernmost

Hi @Goofyernmost! It really is a shame if people were taking so many napkins . But, I still have serious doubts if that were really the cause -- it just seems more likely that Disney wanted to save money and opted for a cheaper alternative. But, like you said it's also better for the environment so I'm totally cool with it.
Those two thoughts are completely compatible. The cheaper alternative not only cost less, but, it eliminated the temptation of people to pilfer everything that isn't nailed down. You save a ton of money everyday if the usage is down to two or three per person per day instead of a hundred per day used to liven up someones home party. So yes, to save money and that is one point that I have no problem supporting. This is a two-fer! Save money and be more environmentally conscious. Win - Win! The downside a bunch of people have to buy their own napkins at home at retail prices and help prop up the economy. Fair trade and it never has once even slightly dampened my visit to Disney. I really didn't spend that much money, time and energy because I was concerned about souvenir napkins.

Goofyernmost

Oh, and I have to assume that you have never heard of Renova toilet tissue.

10x7qe9.jpg

mc5c7k.jpg

Black and Red are the most popular colors and they're only $26 for 6 rolls. I prefer the Fuchsia. LOL.
Great colors, however, I must remain adamant that once covered with human waste, the beauty factor takes a serious nose dive. (sorry about the pun... it just came out) (man, I cracked myself up on that one)

Siren

Those two thoughts are completely compatible. The cheaper alternative not only cost less, but, it eliminated the temptation of people to pilfer everything that isn't nailed down. You save a ton of money everyday if the usage is down to two or three per person per day instead of a hundred per day used to liven up someones home party. So yes, to save money and that is one point that I have no problem supporting. This is a two-fer! Save money and be more environmentally conscious. Win - Win! The downside a bunch of people have to buy their own napkins at home at retail prices and help prop up the economy. Fair trade and it never has once even slightly dampened my visit to Disney. I really didn't spend that much money, time and energy because I was concerned about souvenir napkins.
Hi @Goofyernmost! Very well said. I have to agree, it is a win-win.

Great colors
Gross. Sigh. LOL.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney did have brown, non-bleached napkins with the Rasulo-inspired greatness, "Disney Parks", on them. But apparently even that cost too much. Plus, guests were allegedly pilfering them by the hundreds, if not thousands, because they love cheap souvenirs... :rolleyes:

Goofyernmost

Disney did have brown, non-bleached napkins with the Rasulo-inspired greatness, "Disney Parks", on them. But apparently even that cost too much. Plus, guests were allegedly pilfering them by the hundreds, if not thousands, because they love cheap souvenirs... :rolleyes:
That was because if you're going to pilfer something you want it to be specific. The problem was that they didn't want it to say Disney Parks, they wanted those souvenirs to be labeled for each separate park and resort. That way you could get a whole set at no cost at all. They took enough when all they said was Disney Parks just think for a second how many walked out of there when they identified specific parks and resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom