What did you do?

dreamfinder

2.5@2i@8 today.

I wish race organizers were more proactive about letting kids line up in front at the starting point. My pet peeve? Races that allow strollers, like my town's annual Jungle Bell race, and don't ask runners pushing strollers (or stupidly dragging their poor dog along with them as they run) to line up in back. There's nothing worse than dodging dozens of people pushing strollers during a race run in the evening through hilly downtown streets....

I offer forth the counter point. As someone who uses a jogger and has started at the back of the pack, trying to weave around hundreds of people who aren't paying attention or walking 5 across the road (nothing against walkers normally, but don't block the road people) for someone who is actually running with a jogger, starting at the back is terrible. Nothing is worse than having to push a stroller while dodging hundreds of people who are oblivious. I've had people walk in front of the stroller (somewhat understandable) and had people actually run into the stroller (what the heck made you think that doing a hard 90 degree turn left and running to the middle of the road was a wise move even if I didn't have a jogger). It all comes down to proper self seeding and etiquette.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
2.5@2i@8 today.

I offer forth the counter point. As someone who uses a jogger and has started at the back of the pack, trying to weave around hundreds of people who aren't paying attention or walking 5 across the road (nothing against walkers normally, but don't block the road people) for someone who is actually running with a jogger, starting at the back is terrible. Nothing is worse than having to push a stroller while dodging hundreds of people who are oblivious. I've had people walk in front of the stroller (somewhat understandable) and had people actually run into the stroller (what the heck made you think that doing a hard 90 degree turn left and running to the middle of the road was a wise move even if I didn't have a jogger). It all comes down to proper self seeding and etiquette.

I am in agreement that all participants in a race need to observe proper self seeding and etiquette. I'm sure we've all come upon a group of walkers, 4-5 abreast, making it difficult (and sometimes unsafe) to pass. And some ignore your "coming through" warning. *shakes head*

When I wrote about strollers, I really wasn't referring to runners using jogging strollers, such as you, but parents with kids in regular strollers....and they have no intention of running...or even walking briskly. I've participated in our town's annual Jungle Bell run off and on over the past 20 years. I realize it's a fun run (3k) and family oriented, but the number of participants has dramatically increased over the years (in correlation with the increase in the town's population) and so has the number of parents in groups pushing their kids in a stroller. Not running with a jogging stroller, but a nice saunter through downtown. Glad to see them get involved, but I just wish they wouldn't all line up in the front. I can only imagine what this year's race will be like now that Pokémon Go has become so popular...and the string of parks downtown has become a popular hunting ground for game players. So now we will have gagels of strollers and runners with their noses in the phones looking for creatures... :banghead:

Will be MIA for a couple of days while on our cruise. @Texas84, hope to add another 3.1 miles to the number of Disney miles run since we plan on running the Castaway Cay 5k. Training schedule has 4 miles with a magic mile Saturday; even if I have to run on the TM in the fitness center, the view will be hundred times better than the one at my gym, lol. However, there's this storm brewing and is expected to become a hurricane tomorrow and hit Jamaica Monday morning. Hoping the seas up near Disney's island won't be so rough we can't dock. :( More importantly, if Matthew heads into the Gulf after striking Cuba, please head somewhere else other than the Florida panhandle. Otherwise, I'm going to have to learn how to use a generator.....:p

Y'all have a nice weekend. Isn't this cooler weather wonderful?

JillC LI

And...? Hoping it is fixed!

We only need a treadmill here from Dec - March. But when the snow is down, it is needed. I go to the gym.
And...? Hoping it is fixed!

YES! It's fixed! Hallelujah. And as soon as the technician left, I went for a run . . . outdoors because it was such a lovely day! LOL. Thank goodness this happened during the summer months so I have been able to keep up my runs. I don't mind running outdoors in the cold, but when there's snow and ice on the ground, I'ma TM gal. Plus now that the days are getting shorter, I can run a little earlier in the morning or later at night without feeling unsafe in the dark. Whew.

dreamfinder

Bike.

Glad to see them get involved, but I just wish they wouldn't all line up in the front. I can only imagine what this year's race will be like now that Pokémon Go has become so popular...and the string of parks downtown has become a popular hunting ground for game players. So now we will have gagels of strollers and runners with their noses in the phones looking for creatures... :banghead:

Sigh. Common sense people, common sense. Enjoy your cruise.

YES! It's fixed! Hallelujah. And as soon as the technician left, I went for a run . . . outdoors because it was such a lovely day!

Hurray!

Greenlawler

DL was like Pokemon Go wonderland for my kids..

Oh well,

Been really putting the band back together this week, running a little harder last couple of days and trying to actually get better, my wife is getting faster ;)

Sunday 8 miles 9 minute, Monday cross, Tuesday 5 miles 9.30 pace, Wednesday 6 miles 8:35 pace, Thursday 6 miles 8:30 pace

Texas84

Took a week off after Paris and ran a points series 5K Saturday. All I have to do is show up for the last three and I win the series in my age group. I have a chance to place overall but only if there are no-shows. 5th place overall right now.

Beautiful morning in the 50s. Wasn't really pushing it and still almost had a PR. Back on the road this week to get ready for W&D!

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm back! From my cruise, that is. My cruise this past weekend will probably be the last Bahamian/Caribbean cruise for the rest of this week. Matthew is now a very strong Category 4 hurricane with winds at 140 mph...at least it was when we docked at Port Canaveral this AM. Heard folks saying DCL had cancelled all ports stops for the 4 night cruise on the Dream. When we were finally able to look at the Weather Channel on the way home, they were reporting that Matthew was going to pass over Castaway Cay sometime Tuesday, Wednesday with winds between 90-110 mph. :eek: Sure hope they can get the CMs who permanently reside on the island off. As it was, a monsoon hit Castaway Cay yesterday afternoon and we had shelter in our cabana for an hour before they could rescue us. And the ship sailed about 30 minutes late. Enough about my trip, I'm here to report about my runs! ;)

Did 4 miles on the TM at 1% on a very rocky Disney Dream. Made the run a little more challenging than I anticipated. And got up the next AM and ran the very hot, humid and sunny Castaway Cay. I will never again complain about the early starts for runDisney races...especially after 2 loops through the aptly named Loop of Death. I stopped at every water dispenser and poured cold water over my head.

Oh, apparently the Castaway Cay 5k didn't get the memo that 5k medals would now be metal; they handed out the old rubber ones. And if you were unfortunate enough to be one of the last finishers, you didn't get a medal as they ran out. Saw people running in flip flops, high tops, Converse, jeans, mumus, combat boots, hoodies (and carrying a Disney purse with a plush Minnie, no less) and all sorts of non-traditional running gear. Crazy people. :confused:

@JillC LI, glad your treadmill is fixed.

Discovered the Fit2Run store in Disney Springs this morning on our way home. Needless to say, I walked out with a pair of the new Asics Nimbus-18s. And boy, are they pretty. :) For those of you who MUST have the Disney NB running shoes, they sell them also.

Glad to be back. Can't believe W&D is in a month!

dreamfinder

2.25@2i@8 today. Late again.

For those of you who MUST have the Disney NB running shoes, they sell them also.

Interesting. Didn't think they sold them anywhere but at the Expo. I've found most of the other custom event footwear they make (Boston, NYC, Chicago, etc) elsewhere, but never the runDisney shoes.

LAKid53

Premium Member
2.25@2i@8 today. Late again.

Interesting. Didn't think they sold them anywhere but at the Expo. I've found most of the other custom event footwear they make (Boston, NYC, Chicago, etc) elsewhere, but never the runDisney shoes.

They had all the current ones....several Micky & Minnie styles, Donald, Ariel, etc. But you don't get the member discount on Disney shoes. My $160 Asics with the discount were $135. I can't get them that cheap on Amazon.

Oh, the new Town Center area at Disney Springs has an Under Armour store. Actually, it has many nice upscale shops. So while I headed into Under Armour, my daughter made a beeline for the Sephora and Kate Spade shops. Guest Relations at Disney Springs has also moved to the Town Center area.

JillC LI

Took a week off after Paris and ran a points series 5K Saturday. All I have to do is show up for the last three and I win the series in my age group. I have a chance to place overall but only if there are no-shows. 5th place overall right now.

Very cool. Good luck.

Did 4 miles on the TM at 1% on a very rocky Disney Dream. Made the run a little more challenging than I anticipated.

I wasn't sure if running what felt like a 100 loops to the mile on the outer deck or swaying on the TM was worse when I ran on my last cruise! Glad you enjoyed your cruise and the 5K though despite the heat.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to add: 7 miles on Saturday and 4 yesterday.

Last edited:

Greenlawler

So we are on vacation down at Seacrest Beach and I decided to get in a 10 miler, although my training called for 13 this week.

Ran a slow pace on the brilliant sidewalks. until I ran out of real estate and ran into a state park.

I took a left and ended up on some sketchy path. I saw three people looking into the woods, they told me they were watching a bear....yikes.

Eventually the path turned into something more along the lines of a trail created by a single four wheeler. I usually do these runs by going out 5 miles then coming back I had not gotten to five, I kept going. I ran further and saw a sign nailed to tree that read "If you turn around now you are probably okay".

My curiosity was peaked so I just kept running. I was about to turn around because the path was getting pretty bad when I ran into an elderly British couple who were lost. The lady talked my ear off and everytime I tried to run she asked me questions about America. I finally got back to civilization and ran hard to the hotel.

One of the most unusual runs of my life.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Forgot to post yesterday. So after 60 minute training session, 30 minutes on bike for 7.9 miles.

Today, after 30 minute training session, 30 minutes on elliptical for 1.87 miles.

Only 4 more weeks of training for W&D. I hope I'm ready. *fingers crossed*

LAKid53

Premium Member
Very cool. Good luck.

I wasn't sure if running what felt like a 100 loops to the mile on the outer deck or swaying on the TM was worse when I ran on my last cruise! Glad you enjoyed your cruise and the 5K though despite the heat.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to add: 7 miles on Saturday and 4 yesterday.

I actually had that discussion with myself. "Each loop must be about 1/4 miles, so that means 16 loops to run the 4 miles scheduled. In the breeze....and humidity. Or 4 miles on the TM in an air conditioned gym with the same view." Umm, no brainer.... ;)

BrianV

10 miles past the Mystic Lakes up on a bike trail into Arlington and Lexington (MA). Just beautiful. And at 10:04 my fastest pace for that distance ever. However, I found myself 3 miles from home when I hit my 10 miles mark. Which meant a walk home from the next town over. :)

For those still in the heat, starting temp was a crisp 42F.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom