A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

GiveMeTheMusic

People have been saying that since 2010.

It's hard to imagine what could get either party interested in such a deal. Right now Disney is collecting free money from Universal, who gets the rights to now-hot characters at their flagship parks. And what would Disney do with the full Marvel rights at WDW? Probably not much. As it stands they have the ability to use one property and it's getting us a roller coaster in Epcot. Whoop dee frickin doo.

Universal tried to get DC rights in the 90s and failed. And DC properties aren't popular as they once were, and their movie train is on a crash course. Plus, why would Six Flags give up rights? They're building expensive (for them) DC dark rides at several parks.

The purchase price from Disney would have to not just be a profit for Comcast, but pay for what would certainly be very expensive retheming of Spider-Man and the MSHI land. Then there's the issue of landing the DC rights.

While nothing is impossible, this scenario is about as unlikely as it gets IMO.

lazyboy97o

It's hard to imagine what could get either party interested in such a deal. Right now Disney is collecting free money from Universal, who gets the rights to now-hot characters at their flagship parks. And what would Disney do with the full Marvel rights at WDW? Probably not much. As it stands they have the ability to use one property and it's getting us a roller coaster in Epcot. Whoop dee frickin doo.

Universal tried to get DC rights in the 90s and failed. And DC properties aren't popular as they once were, and their movie train is on a crash course. Plus, why would Six Flags give up rights? They're building expensive (for them) DC dark rides at several parks.

The purchase price from Disney would have to not just be a profit for Comcast, but pay for what would certainly be very expensive retheming of Spider-Man and the MSHI land. Then there's the issue of landing the DC rights.

While nothing is impossible, this scenario is about as unlikely as it gets IMO.
I honestly believe that such a deal would have to cost at least $1 billion. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is still in panic mode following the insane costs of Shanghai Disney Resort and Pandora. How on earth are they going to explain a $1.5+ billion Marvel land to Wall Street?

In terms of licensing, Universal will never get a deal as good as the one Marvel made. It was clearly designed so that Universal would never want to dump Marvel. It is too much a sure thing with its set fees.

BrianLo

Since we know Iger hated the dark Rogue One and insisted that it be 'Toddlerized' and reshot I think the fans will probably hate it. The fans have wanted to see Vader/Palpatine unleashed for a long time Rogue One was the story which was supposed to give them that. Iger thinks Star Wars makes money because of the BRAND and that Star Wars is primarily a vehicle to market toys.

Pottermania is still very much a thing just look at the sales of the 'Cursed Child'

Never change. :D

The movie will still retain a PG13 rating, as usual.

Star Wars Mania is very much a thing, just look to The Force Awakens.

Cursed Child sold less than 25% of Deathly Hallows.

Hey look: facts! :D

All of which is to say anyone twisting the above into thinking Fantastic Beasts will massively outperform Rogue One is on something. Or under. Like a bridge.

Jones14

So someone came to me with this and I can't name the source but I assure you it isn't Jim Hill or a bus driver.

The source says that Universal might actually be getting ready to sell the marvel rights to Disney and then in return but the DC rights from six flags when that contract is up.

Has anyone else heard anything like this? I know Universal and Disney have been said by sources to be in talks or have been in talks.
That seems unlikely. Justice League is a big property for Six Flags right now. Two of the newest offerings at Six Flags Over Georgia are a DC Super Friends area and two rides themed to Joker and Harley Quinn. That's not counting the clone of the Justice League shooter ride that's set to open next year.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The fact that Rogue One was being reshot has been news for at least three months - it recently hit the business press because of the reshoot

The original article was out of Australia of all places.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...m/news-story/187aec218ee479263baa60d845ecbff6

Rogue One has fallen short of what J.J. Abrams did with Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens. So Disney has ordered reshoots.”

Edwards is well-known as a risk-taking director, but has also been reported to prefer to keep studio influence at a minimum. The source added, “Disney won’t take a back seat, and is demanding changes, as the movie isn’t testing well.

Now who does Disney use when 'testing' their products kiddies, Oh that's right its the Disney Mom's Panel - It's not hard to figure out that Disney thought this would not play well to the under 8 set

There's even a rumor that JarJar Binks will have a role to play in Rogue One.
Didn't we cover this months ago? They did reshoots. Like just about every movie made these days. There were never screenings with test audiences and the same group from Lucasfilms that ordered reshoots for Force Awakens ordered these reshoots. That turned out pretty well. The reason the only source you could find online is out of Austrslia is because it was complete bunk when first put out there and now it's a stale old rumor. Don't believe me though...read this

http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-reshoots-detailed/

Rteetz

That seems unlikely. Justice League is a big property for Six Flags right now. Two of the newest offerings at Six Flags Over Georgia are a DC Super Friends area and two rides themed to Joker and Harley Quinn. That's not counting the clone of the Justice League shooter ride that's set to open next year.
Don't shoot the messenger I'm just reporting what was told to me. Other than the justice league attraction at Six flags everything else they have with a DC theme would be fairly easy to retheme. I can also see universal having a possible interest here. They probably can't do everything they want with marvel because they have to follow the contract and have to work with Disney. Getting the DC rights would give them more freedom to do what they want. I'm also sure Universal would make Disney pay up for the rights too but maybe not as much if they have the DC rights lined up.

lazyboy97o

Don't shoot the messenger I'm just reporting what was told to me. Other than the justice league attraction at Six flags everything else they have with a DC theme would be fairly easy to retheme. I can also see universal having a possible interest here. They probably can't do everything they want with marvel because they have to follow the contract and have to work with Disney. Getting the DC rights would give them more freedom to do what they want. I'm also sure Universal would make Disney pay up for the rights too but maybe not as much if they have the DC rights lined up.
The only thing Universal has to follow is the established consistency of the characters, same as they have to for all of their licensing deals.

Bairstow

Back in the Rank Group days, wasn't Islands of Adventure originally conceived as having a DC, rather than Marvel-based area?

Batman4.jpg

RSoxNo1

Here's a better question, why would Universal have to have the exclusive rights? They could essentially sell the rights for Disney to use anything including Spider-Man, Hulk, etc without any need for exclusivity.

lazyboy97o

Here's a better question, why would Universal have to have the exclusive rights? They could essentially sell the rights for Disney to use anything including Spider-Man, Hulk, etc without any need for exclusivity.
Part of a licensing agreement is maintaining the proper public image and not creating confusion. This is why Marvel themselves were limited from opening their retail concept too close to a Universal park with a Marvel land.

doctornick

I don't buy the rumor either, but putting on my Imagineer (errr, Universal Creative?) hat, I could see retheming the existing MSHI to DC without all that much difficulty.... Hulk coaster gets themed to Green Lantern, Spider-Man gets rethemed to Batman, Storm changes to The Flash, Dr. Doom's Freefall could be almost anything given how lightly themed it is but let's keep the same concept and use Braniac or Lex Luthor.

While it certainly wouldn't be free, you could easily modify those rides while keeping the exact mechanics.

stevehousse

I don't buy the rumor either, but putting on my Imagineer (errr, Universal Creative?) hat, I could see retheming the existing MSHI to DC without all that much difficulty.... Hulk coaster gets themed to Green Lantern, Spider-Man gets rethemed to Batman, Storm changes to The Flash, Dr. Doom's Freefall could be almost anything given how lightly themed it is but let's keep the same concept and use Braniac or Lex Luthor.

While it certainly wouldn't be free, you could easily modify those rides while keeping the exact mechanics.

Would this even be possible because of Six Flags deal with DC? I believe the original concept for IOA was a complete Batman Island, but was later changed to Marvel, not D.C. Island.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom