Which would you order for your kids?

• Hot dog

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Falafel

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters

21stamps

Original Poster
I read a post (somewhere else) where the poster expressed unhappiness with a restaurant menu. Specifically that there were not any Mac n Cheese, hot dogs, or chicken nuggets offered.

It makes me wonder, do kids still only eat those things these days?

I thought that culturally we seem to be going more healthy than in the past. Even if not "healthy", at least more adventurous with flavors and types of foods.

Children's Menus at WDW are one of my biggest complaints. I ordered several adult meals for a 5 year old who couldn't finish half of his meal..just to save him from a hot dog.lol.

What do your kids eat?
Do you make them try new things?
Do you think Disney will eventually expand their child menu options?

I posted the very limited choice poll just because I think it may be interesting. I do think it's a thought provoking topic. I would love to see child size portions of food other than junk!
Yes, I know there are Mickey Check Meals. We ordered a couple..some restaurants did have decent options, but the overwhelming majority did not.

JIMINYCR

Disney has slowly added healthier choices to appease parents, but I dont think they will go too heavily in that direction.... Even with healthier options available, a lot of parents will opt for buying what they know their kid will eat. They wont be ordering a healthier meal and see it go mostly into the trash can. Look at what happened with the "improved healthier " school lunches. I agree with better child size portions but then youll get people complaining about Disney cutting down the size of meals.
When DS was young, years ago, we always made him try at least a few bites of healthy stuff but then had to let him eat what he would eat. When we were at WDW, we let him get away with more because we didnt want fights at Disney. Pediatrician said, no harm, he'll come around, which he did. Its when parents allow their kids to eat totally unhealthy diets long term, every meal that we get obese kids.

21stamps

Original Poster
Disney has slowly added healthier choices to appease parents, but I dont think they will go too heavily in that direction.... Even with healthier options available, a lot of parents will opt for buying what they know their kid will eat. They wont be ordering a healthier meal and see it go mostly into the trash can. Look at what happened with the "improved healthier " school lunches. I agree with better child size portions but then youll get people complaining about Disney cutting down the size of meals.
When DS was young, years ago, we always made him try at least a few bites of healthy stuff but then had to let him eat what he would eat. When we were at WDW, we let him get away with more because we didnt want fights at Disney. Pediatrician said, no harm, he'll come around, which he did. Its when parents allow their kids to eat totally unhealthy diets long term, every meal that we get obese kids.

I think it's ok to let kids eat differently on vacation than at home. I let my kid drink lemonade and Sprite at Disney. This was a rare treat since home is milk and water only.

Besides just the "healthier options" I think it would be great for kids to have the opportunity to order more than American junk food meals. There are a few quick service at Animal Kingdom that offered better options for kids..as far as interesting and flavorful. The falafel question was bc my favorite QS in all of dinsey world is Tangerine Cafe. No way would I make my kid eat off of their horrible kids menu! So I purchased an adult meal for a 5 year old..which I do a lot anyway just bc I'm anti Mac n Cheese. I just don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.

When people cook dinner at home to they make a separate meal for the kids? Are we imposing bad food on children because we "think" that's what they would like?

Food has become Sooo much better over the years. I don't think I've ever made a meatloaf or cheesy broccoli like my mom made for me. (Thank you Pinterest!!)

Places like Whole Foods and Fresh Market have made it even easier..if I've had a long day at work, and don't want to prepare a meal, I can stop by one of those places and buy pre seasoned fish or meat and throw it on the grill or in the oven- delicious and super easy. Instead of having to order pizza or fast food (which we still do, but in moderation).

I just think the trend is moving away from the generic kids menu foods..and I'd love to see different choices!

Last edited:

DisneyJoe

At age 5, my kids ate burgers/steak and chicken and pbj and pizza, very rarely a hot dog, and never mac and cheese, as they are very particular about it... sometimes pasta .

They never had an issue at WDW, and they went almost yearly. We never found the menus limiting.

HRHPrincessAriel

I mean somedays she just wants chicken nuggets but then the kindergartener also asks for salads in her lunch box. However, she hates almost every form of a potato including French fries.

She's actually less picky than I. She loves seafood and will try almost all veggies without even being asked.

It used to be a forced thing by us but now she willingly tries new foods. We say she has to at least give it one bite. If she likes she likes. More than often she likes.

We don't cater to her for dinner at home. If she doesn't eat what she's given she doesn't eat.

21stamps

Original Poster
I mean somedays she just wants chicken nuggets but then the kindergartener also asks for salads in her lunch box. However, she hates almost every form of a potato including French fries.

She's actually less picky than I. She loves seafood and will try almost all veggies without even being asked.

It used to be a forced thing by us but now she willingly tries new foods. We say she has to at least give it one bite. If she likes she likes. More than often she likes.

We don't cater to her for dinner at home. If she doesn't eat what she's given she doesn't eat.
That's my rule too. Just try something.. If he doesn't like it then he doesn't have to eat it again. Normally though, he ends up liking what he tried.

21stamps

Original Poster
Well my DS is in college now but when he was little we always let him order of the adult menu, I remember him coloring at the California Grill and stopping to tell the server he would like the filet, medium. She looked at me and said "Really?"
I love reading this!!!

There was a thread once about Shula's and if kids should be in there. Citing that lack of a kids menu meant they shouldn't be. We don't order off of a kids menu, even if available, at most steak or seafood places. My kid loves raw oysters, clams, and salmon. I hate salmon. We share a deep love for soft shell crab and crab legs...mine just needs a Bloody Mary on the side ;). We had peel n eat shrimp tonight..not with the heads, even I can't really do that, but he has no problem peeling th

Hot Dog and Falafel are tied In the poll. I think that's good news!
Can we get a child sized shawarma plate on the menu now?

Last edited:

UncleFastpass

Well my DS is in college now but when he was little we always let him order of the adult menu, I remember him coloring at the California Grill and stopping to tell the server he would like the filet, medium. She looked at me and said "Really?"
Was the"Really?" because it was filet or because of medium?If you order filet anything better done than medium rare is a waste(I know people can eat what ever they want however they want but filet medium really.?)

21stamps

Original Poster
Was the"Really?" because it was filet or because of medium?If you order filet anything better done than medium rare is a waste(I know people can eat what ever they want however they want but filet medium really.?)
I eat my filet medium! Perfect pink center.

Anything above that is a waste, but medium is still wonderful. I actually had a guy that I was dating over for dinner, I was probably 22 yrs old..made filet, an awesome salad with homemade dressing, scallops, and a Rosemary wheat bread.. He says "I only eat meat well done, can you put it back in?" Then informed me that he didn't like any seafood and was off of carbs at the moment.
That was the last date that we had!
I eat my filet medium. I also put ketchup on it.
My steak, my money. Really.
Ketchup? Lol

Weather_Lady

I am blessed with children who are not picky eaters. (Then again, neither are DH or I, so the kids have both a genetic predisposition to like a variety of foods, and they've seen DH and I model non-picky eating behaviors their entire lives.)

We've always exposed them to a variety of foods, and have made them at least "try a no-thank-you-bite" of new things. As a result, while they absolutely love chicken nuggets, hamburgers, pizza and boxed mac & cheese (even DH and I enjoy those foods on occasion!), they also love Chinese, Indian, Tex-Mex, Greek, seafood, all vegetables (except for brussels sprouts, sadly - I love them!), sushi, good cheeses, and steak. If you asked them to name their favorite foods, my 10-year-old son would say steamed mussels, and my 8-year-old daughter would say white (alfredo) veggie lasagna with extra broccoli.

In order to keep them from getting bored with the nugget-centric kids' menus at WDW (they love it for a couple of days, and then my son starts asking if there's a kids' menu somewhere with shellfish), we've gravitated toward buffets, and/or allowed them to split an adult meal with one of us. It's a shame that the WDW kids' menus aren't more diverse, although I recognize that they are in keeping with the way most American children like to eat, and I do applaud the inclusion of the "Mickey Check" meals, which add a little bit of diversity and some more healthful options for kids -- the yogurt, steamed broccoli and grapes that are often offered as alternative sides are among my childrens' favorites.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
I am blessed with children who are not picky eaters. (Then again, neither are DH or I, so the kids have both a genetic predisposition to like a variety of foods, and they've seen DH and I model non-picky eating behaviors their entire lives.)

We've always exposed them to a variety of foods, and have made them at least "try a no-thank-you-bite" of new things. As a result, while they absolutely love chicken nuggets, hamburgers, pizza and boxed mac & cheese (even DH and I enjoy those foods on occasion!), they also love Chinese, Indian, Tex-Mex, Greek, seafood, all vegetables (except for brussels sprouts, sadly - I love them!), sushi, good cheeses, and steak. If you asked them to name their favorite foods, my 10-year-old son would say steamed mussels, and my 8-year-old daughter would say white (alfredo) veggie lasagna.

In order to keep them from getting bored with the nugget-centric kids' menus at WDW (they love it for a couple of days, and then my son starts asking if there's a kids' menu somewhere with shellfish), we've gravitated toward buffets, and/or allowed them to split an adult meal with one of us. It's a shame that the WDW kids' menus aren't more diverse, although I recognize that they are in keeping with the way most American children like to eat, and I do applaud the inclusion of the "Mickey Check" meals, which add a little bit of diversity and some more healthful options for kids.

This is what is thought provoking to me, are "we" encouraging picky behavior by not expanding options for our children? Or are kids actually picky regardless?

I attribute my son's willingness to try new things from very early on. I made all of his baby food, and introduced a lot of flavors that he wouldn't have had if store bought. Pomegranates, star fruit, avocados, asparagus, yucca, quinoa etc. I could be off base completely, but I feel like that set a stage. Sure he likes typical "kid food" too, but it's never been the norm in our house. I like several different foods, from Mexican to Moroccan, and everything in between, so he's always been exposed to it, without really any other choice.
Your comment seems to support that theory as well.

If we give our children exposure to different flavors and spices and textures would they still be "picky"? Or are we actually grooming them to be by thinking the staples are all that they would like?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It depends on the kid. I have three and each are different, but the vast majority of kids do not go out of the bland, hot dogs, burgers, and chicken nugget comfort zones until they get older, if ever.

Kid number one will eat pretty much anything and always has.

Kid number 2 was so picky that my wife had to make her baby food. To this day (she is 23) she still rarely moves out of her comfort zone of what I call the McNugget and Mac n cheese food groups. Her husband is exactly the same way.

Kid number 3 is a bit in the middle. Like kid number 2, she largely stays within typical kid fare, but will venture out on certain things. She absolutely loves seafood and sushi. She will eat raw octopus and tuna by the pound, but getting her to eat a vegetable that is not wrapped in raw fish and rice is like pulling teeth.

In the end. Disney and places like it have to go with what sells. If a menu item does not move at a particular rate, it has to be pulled and replaced with something that will.

zurgandfriend

My then 5 year old wasn’t a connoisseur of beef, she was shocked that the little guy ordered with such confidence. We joked that he should order a Shirley Temple shaken not stirred.

Kevin_W

Children's Menus at WDW are one of my biggest complaints. I ordered several adult meals for a 5 year old who couldn't finish half of his meal..just to save him from a hot dog.lol.

Same here. I have going to somewhere like Tangeriene Cafe or Marakesh and seeing... nuggets, mac & cheese, hotdo. ugh. Sometimes we pick 2 adult meals and the 3 of us share, bu tmy daughter is also independent and wants her "own" meal.

Phonedave

My kids are teenagers now, but when they were younger my youngest was a "Safe" but adult eater. grilled chicken, grilled steaks, brioccoli, green beans, etc. The kids meals at CG and AP were perfect for her.

My oldest would eat, or at least try, anything. Then she would analize it. She had to be about 10 or so and she ordered a ravioli appitiozer at GC once, and it came in a white cream sauce. When the waiter came by to ask if everything was ok, she asked him "exceuse me, but what is this sauce" He said something along the lines of "that's a sauce, not all pasta comes with tomato sauce" or something like that. She shot him this withering look that basicly said "I KNOW that" and then she said "No, I am wondering what it in it, because I am tasting a sweetness that I cannot place". After the waiter recovered, they had a discussion about what was in the sauce, and what the chef used. They deteremined it was corn by the way.

As far as hot dog or falafel - really it depends. There are some good hot dogs out there. Granted they are not served at Disney, but I can get bison ones with no filler from up the street. As far a falafel, its not that healthy or in my opinion that good. The deep frying, not the best health wise. It's also not something that is even remotely exotic to me. I grew up in an area where many restaruants served falafel. Then I went to a college where the food trucks served falafel, hummus, and baba ganoush right next to the cheese steaks and fat cats.

21stamps

Original Poster
My kids are teenagers now, but when they were younger my youngest was a "Safe" but adult eater. grilled chicken, grilled steaks, brioccoli, green beans, etc. The kids meals at CG and AP were perfect for her.

My oldest would eat, or at least try, anything. Then she would analize it. She had to be about 10 or so and she ordered a ravioli appitiozer at GC once, and it came in a white cream sauce. When the waiter came by to ask if everything was ok, she asked him "exceuse me, but what is this sauce" He said something along the lines of "that's a sauce, not all pasta comes with tomato sauce" or something like that. She shot him this withering look that basicly said "I KNOW that" and then she said "No, I am wondering what it in it, because I am tasting a sweetness that I cannot place". After the waiter recovered, they had a discussion about what was in the sauce, and what the chef used. They deteremined it was corn by the way.

As far as hot dog or falafel - really it depends. There are some good hot dogs out there. Granted they are not served at Disney, but I can get bison ones with no filler from up the street. As far a falafel, its not that healthy or in my opinion that good. The deep frying, not the best health wise. It's also not something that is even remotely exotic to me. I grew up in an area where many restaruants served falafel. Then I went to a college where the food trucks served falafel, hummus, and baba ganoush right next to the cheese steaks and fat cats.

Ha ha that's funny about the ravioli!

As far as a falafel being healthy, nope, it is not. I do think it is much more interesting, better for you, and tastes better than a hot dog or Mac n cheese though! When I actually do make make falafel I bake them instead of fry.

I am from a VERY Jewish area in South Florida. There are also several Arabic and middle eastern people/restaurants in the region.. So my falafel/ shawarma tastes are pretty picky. Tangerine Cafe is good..even though it's no Pita King ;). . Still, I'd take either one over an item on a standard American kid's menu anyday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom