What did you do?

dreamfinder

Bike today.

The friggin fraggin treadmill repair tech cancelled on me at the last minute yesterday. Yeah yeah, I understand that his wife went into labor. LOL. Anyway, they can't send somebody else for another week. Thankfully the weather outdoors has been pretty nice and should be even nicer and more Fall-like this weekend. Last night I ran 4 outside. Decent pace for me.

Doh. At least you should have good weather.

dreamfinder

Sat was ~2 1/3 w/DW and stroller. Sun was ~7.75, first 2 with DW, entire thing with stroller. Outdoor runs are a bit brisk this past weekend. I didn't mind it, but had to bundle up DS, make sure he was good.

JillC LI

6.2 miles Saturday morning. Planned to do 7 but my knee was feeling a bit wonky (not the one I sprained earlier this year). Weather finally felt like Fall which was great though.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
After being MIA all last week due to a back issue (sucks getting old), did 2.61 miles on the TM at 1%.

Am behind in training for W&D half...longest run has been 8 miles. But I can run 30 minutes at pace of 14:30 or so and can easily walk the minimum training pace of 15:00 Galloway recommends. Need to step it up, but if I end up briskly walking a good part of the race, I won't be disappointed. Just nervous and excited about my 1st half. :)

Weather is going to get cooler, starting Thursday evening. But I'll be on my way to Port Canaveral for a three night cruise on the Dream! :D And hopefully running in the Castaway Cay 5k.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Absolutely nothing - coming back from the DLP half yesterday I twisted my ankle trying to run downstairs to catch my train while pulling my suitcase and dodging other travelers Yes, @LAKid53, it does suck getting old! You can definitely finish the half on a brisk walk - that is what I ended up having to do because my hip started acting up.

For those of you more experienced runners - is it "normal" for it to take so long to cross the starting line as it did for the DLP half? (I was towards the front of corral C and it was nearly 7:50 when I started). I wasn't quite prepared for that because any small local races I've done everyone starts together.

Mad Stitch

For those of you more experienced runners - is it "normal" for it to take so long to cross the starting line as it did for the DLP half? (I was towards the front of corral C and it was nearly 7:50 when I started). I wasn't quite prepared for that because any small local races I've done everyone starts together.

For those who were not at the DLP Half, they grouped people into 4 corrals. Unlike the other runDisney races, a whole corral did not start at the same time. There were 36 starts. Starting with corral A, they let approximately 300 people into the starting line area and then cut off the rest of the corral. Once those 300 people were given the go they let 300 more people approach the starting line. These groups of people were released into the course about every 3 minutes.

Back to Swissmiss's question. It really varies from race to race. I too have been in races where everyone starts together. Depending on the race, runDisney usually has about 10ish corrals with thousands of people in them. A whole corral will start together with a delay before the next corral will go. If you ever run a Rock 'n Roll series race, they are similar to DLP where there are 30-60 starts with a few hundred in each.

I liked the way DLP did it. I didn't feel cramped at the start and there was plenty of room to get around people who were not lined up properly. Unfortunately this method means if you are in the back half of the corrals, it could take awhile before crossing the start line.

Last edited:

dreamfinder

2.85@2i@6:58

@Swissmiss it really depends on the race. The more runners in the race, the more likely the organizers will be to using corrals/waves/staggered starts. Runners aren't always able to properly seed themselves in the starting area (see the hoards of small kids that always line up at the start of a 5k but run out of speed 200yds in) so staggered starts can help somewhat. I find that its usually around 1,000 runners where the signs with paces will come out, and around 5,000 that do more enforced waves with gaps between. But at a runDisney event, people in the last corral are usually starting about 1 hour after the first runner.

LAKid53

Premium Member
2.85@2i@6:58

@Swissmiss it really depends on the race. The more runners in the race, the more likely the organizers will be to using corrals/waves/staggered starts. Runners aren't always able to properly seed themselves in the starting area (see the hoards of small kids that always line up at the start of a 5k but run out of speed 200yds in) so staggered starts can help somewhat. I find that its usually around 1,000 runners where the signs with paces will come out, and around 5,000 that do more enforced waves with gaps between. But at a runDisney event, people in the last corral are usually starting about 1 hour after the first runner.

I wish race organizers were more proactive about letting kids line up in front at the starting point. My pet peeve? Races that allow strollers, like my town's annual Jungle Bell race, and don't ask runners pushing strollers (or stupidly dragging their poor dog along with them as they run) to line up in back. There's nothing worse than dodging dozens of people pushing strollers during a race run in the evening through hilly downtown streets....

LAKid53

Premium Member
Will everyone please think good thoughts that my treadmill repairman will actually show up today and that I will once again have a fully functional treadmill by the end of the evening?

Keeping my fingers crossed. :D

Don't know what I'd do if I didn't have access to a treadmill for running. Never been a "go for a run at 5 am" kind of runner (except for races), which you have to do for 9 months out of the year here in sunny Florida. I hate it if my cat wakes me up before 7:30. ;)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@dreamfinder - thanks for the info. The different corrals didn't surprise me, it was the staggering within them that surprised me, so it's nice to have an explanation.

@LAKid53 - I agree with you about trying to get certain people to start further back. I've participated in some mixed run/walk races (where everyone starts at the same time) and they ask the walkers to let the runners get out in front. Personally, I'm a non-competitive runner - I'm doing it for myself and I don't really care about my time - so I always hang back and let the serious racers go so I am not in their way. Seems like pretty obvious race etiquette, but maybe it's less obvious to others!

BrianV

Will everyone please think good thoughts that my treadmill repairman will actually show up today and that I will once again have a fully functional treadmill by the end of the evening?

And...? Hoping it is fixed!

We only need a treadmill here from Dec - March. But when the snow is down, it is needed. I go to the gym.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom