OldBlueEyes

Actually saw it on a video on YouTube about the abandoned Triceratops Encounter at IOA,

...at the 1:55 time point. Contacted the poster to see if they could tell me where they first got the image from, but haven't heard anything yet.

Agreed, good catch! That is for sure one clip of the model I haven't seen before, but would love to see more of.
Keep us posted, if You get a reply!
OBE

Siren

That is not they system this ride will, it will be a variation of this one...

https://www.vekoma.com/index.php/specialities-and-attractions/panoramic-flight-simulator
Hi @danlb_2000! Thank you so much! I had no idea what this ride would be like.

34t37s0.jpg

The pic that I found looks so terrifying like you can fall right out or something, lol. And, it has over the head safety bars so the height requirement would rule out a lot of families.

65s5mr.jpg

This looks just like Soarin'. I've been trying to gauge what the thrill level of Flight of Passage will be. It's definitely not a thrill ride, which is good. This is something that the whole family can enjoy just like Soarin'.

I totally expect Flight of Passage to be breathtakingly beautiful and exhilarating with some mild thrills. I can't wait for more details!

Old Mouseketeer

Hi @danlb_2000
This looks just like Soarin'. I've been trying to gauge what the thrill level of Flight of Passage will be. It's definitely not a thrill ride, which is good. This is something that the whole family can enjoy just like Soarin'.

I totally expect Flight of Passage to be breathtakingly beautiful and exhilarating with some mild thrills. I can't wait for more details!

I think other commenters more familiar with the Vekoma PFS system liken it to a cross between Soarin' and Star Tours. At the top of the passenger benches you can see the hydraulic arms. Vekoma's website says:

The sophisticated motion platform provides six Degree of Freedom (6-dOF). This means simulator can be moved in the six ways: heave, Sway, Surge, pitch, roll and yaw.

My best guess is that it will be more thrilling than Soarin', but probably less so than ST or Indy. YMMV.

No Name

Also, don't expect an Avatar sequel anytime soon. James Cameron recently said that he will continue to push back the dates as necessary -- which means he's willing to ride out the Star Wars and Super Hero storm until it's totally dead. He has already stated that he does not want to face off with these hot franchises.

Until what's totally dead? Star Wars? Super Heroes?

I could see James Cameron being dead before either of those are. And even if Star Wars somehow loses its popularity or Disney resists the evil urge to put out an Episode 10... by that time, something else will become popular to take its place. I suppose he can wait all he wants, but I don't see any sweet spot opening up for him.

What the hell? This sounds like Disney screwed this one up even more than Marvel. OK, maybe Disney's contract for Avatar will keep this exhibit out of North America. And maybe out of France, Japan, and China (including SAR/Hong Kong). But an IP as big as Avatar (assuming the sequels pay out better than Matrix) should be bought for worldwide rights. Unless Disney is just interested in targeting Universal Orlando. Which maybe they are.

I'm just astounded that Disney would sign a contract that allows someone to open a competing exhibit a year ahead of their huge investment.

Well, I don't see them directly competing. Most people who go to Animal Kingdom will not be coming for Avatar Land, they'll be coming because it's Walt Disney World. This exhibit thing is much different and much less eleborate than the land willl be. So my point is, anyone who cares about Avatar Land enough to bok a trip for it shouldn't be confused or less inclined to visit DAK.

The positive of this exhibit is that it'll help raise Avatar's popularity, and I believe that if people are wowed by this thing, they might read into the land in WDW and become inclined to book a trip.

matt9112

I think other commenters more familiar with the Vekoma PFS system liken it to a cross between Soarin' and Star Tours. At the top of the passenger benches you can see the hydraulic arms. Vekoma's website says:

The sophisticated motion platform provides six Degree of Freedom (6-dOF). This means simulator can be moved in the six ways: heave, Sway, Surge, pitch, roll and yaw.

My best guess is that it will be more thrilling than Soarin', but probably less so than ST or Indy. YMMV.

but star tours is so tame.....unless jerky is intense to some people.

Siren

Hi @Old Mouseketeer! Thank you so much for your in depth explanation. I think Star Tours and Soarin is a nice balance. It says that the simulator can "be moved in the six ways: simulator can be moved in the six ways: heave, Sway, Surge, pitch, roll and yaw." So, I wonder if the ride will go upside down, too -- that would require the overhead safety bar and would totally be a thrill ride. It doesn't look like it can go upside though.

Until what's totally dead? Star Wars? Super Heroes?

I could see James Cameron being dead before either of those are. And even if Star Wars somehow loses its popularity or Disney resists the evil urge to put out an Episode 10... by that time, something else will become popular to take its place. I suppose he can wait all he wants, but I don't see any sweet spot opening up for him.

Well, I don't see them directly competing. Most people who go to Animal Kingdom will not be coming for Avatar Land, they'll be coming because it's Walt Disney World. This exhibit thing is much different and much less eleborate than the land willl be. So my point is, anyone who cares about Avatar Land enough to bok a trip for it shouldn't be confused or less inclined to visit DAK.

The positive of this exhibit is that it'll help raise Avatar's popularity, and I believe that if people are wowed by this thing, they might read into the land in WDW and become inclined to book a trip.
Hi @egg! Super hero fatigue is beginning to kick in for me, but I totally agree that they will never completely go away. Right now it's still hot, though. Star Wars will eventually start to simmer down as well, just like all the franchises -- Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc. I think the longer James Cameron can wait the better.

And, I totally agree with you about the exhibit. It will only help to bring exposure to Avatar, making it somewhat relevant and it will be on people's radar. Disney gets totally free advertising as well. So, it's a win-win for everyone.

but star tours is so tame.....unless jerky is intense to some people.
LOL. The new Star Tours is not tame. It has a lot of action and stuff, too.

flyerjab

I will tell you what is not tame. We have come down for F&W but stayed at Portofino Bay and went to UNI the first 2 days. The Simpsons ride should have larger warning signs for motion sickness. That ride was HORRIBLE. I didn't even make it 30 seconds in and I felt sick. It ruined me for the rest of the day. I never got that severely ill from a simulator ride before.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hi @Old Mouseketeer! Thank you so much for your in depth explanation. I think Star Tours and Soarin is a nice balance. It says that the simulator can "be moved in the six ways: simulator can be moved in the six ways: heave, Sway, Surge, pitch, roll and yaw." So, I wonder if the ride will go upside down, too -- that would require the overhead safety bar and would totally be a thrill ride. It doesn't look like it can go upside though.

Hi @egg! Super hero fatigue is beginning to kick in for me, but I totally agree that they will never completely go away. Right now it's still hot, though. Star Wars will eventually start to simmer down as well, just like all the franchises -- Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc. I think the longer James Cameron can wait the better.

And, I totally agree with you about the exhibit. It will only help to bring exposure to Avatar, making it somewhat relevant and it will be on people's radar. Disney gets totally free advertising as well. So, it's a win-win for everyone.

LOL. The new Star Tours is not tame. It has a lot of action and stuff, too.

No, this ride system would not be capable of having you go up side down.

DinoInstitute

I will tell you what is not tame. We have come down for F&W but stayed at Portofino Bay and went to UNI the first 2 days. The Simpsons ride should have larger warning signs for motion sickness. That ride was HORRIBLE. I didn't even make it 30 seconds in and I felt sick. It ruined me for the rest of the day. I never got that severely ill from a simulator ride before.
I know exactly what you're talking about, I felt the same way last time. Don't know what it is about Star Tours (maybe the flight glasses?) but I never feel nearly that bad after riding it.

Cesar R M

I know exactly what you're talking about, I felt the same way last time. Don't know what it is about Star Tours (maybe the flight glasses?) but I never feel nearly that bad after riding it.
For me, its the smell of the hydraulics that kill me.
after the first minutes inside the Star Tours.. it starts to smell like burned oil.THAT makes me ill

Siren

No, this ride system would not be capable of having you go up side down.
Hi @danlb_2000! This is totally good news. I think going upside down would be way too much and people wouldn't be able to enjoy all the beautiful imagery and scenery -- especially, if it's in 3D.

Initially, I thought Avatarland was primarily for the guys and was going to have that major chilling thrill ride, but this is totally not the case.

The Avatarland experience is all about nature, tranquility, beauty, amazement and wonder. It's going to be so amazing.

CastleBound

Not sure if this image has been posted before or not, but it's the first I've seen it... most of the images I've seen of the Pandora model show the land from the North (facing south)... this one seems to show it from the opposite side...

Wow, that is a great image. I haven't seen that before either. Really shows you the scope of everything and I too definitely get a sense of the area. Even with the model we've seen before I didn't get a sense like I do here. This really gets me excited!

wdwgreek

Laughingplace.com found descriptions of the 2 attractions in the new Birnbaum Guide.
The text of what they shared is below! If people don't want to click over.
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news...ffered-new-birnbaums-walt-disney-world-guide/
Na’Vi River Journey (FP+)
A musical voyage into Pandora’s bioluminescent forest, this trip is as calm and family-friendly as they come. The adventure begins as guests board canoes and venture down a mysterious, sacred river hidden within the rainforest. The grandeur of Pandora is revealed as canoes float past exotic glowing plants and an array of amazing creatures, include native humanoids known as Na’vi. The journey culminates in an encounter with a Na’vi shaman, who has a deep connection to the life of Pandora and sends positive energy into the forest with her music. Na’vi River Journey is generally appreciated by guests of all ages (through timid tykes who are spooked by darkness may find parts of this expedition unsettling).

The crowning jewel of Animal Kingdom’s newest neighborhood, AVATAR Flight of Passage invites daredevils to take a scenic trip to Pandora on the backs of a flying Mountain Banshee. The intense journey takes place in a cutting-edge, simulator-like environment and offers much more than a thrill a minute. Guests are treated to a bird’s-eye view of all the sights, sounds, and smells of the majestic moon that the Na’vi call home.
A high-flying “E-Ticket” experience, Flight of Passage is a most realistic, immersive experience. It is not recommended for guests with motion sensitivity, heart conditions, fear of heights, or any other physical issues. This experience is quite popular, book a Fastpass+ assignment if you can. For height requirements, visit www.disneyworld.com.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom