Streets of America Development Watch (no longer DEMO)

HauntedMansionFLA

That cleared area should be for the parking expansion.
I have a couple questions that someone with building experience or inside information can answer for me.

If this land is for parking expansion, will they be building parking garages like Disney Springs. And if they are like DS, how many cars can each of the garages handle. If they are going with building garages, I hope they build plenty. That way if they want to expand the park past IJSS, they can use the parking area for such project.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Some of the props were still there as of a week or 2 ago, I think most were very recently removed. Walt's plane was taken away a few months ago, to where is the question.
They should park it over on the original airstrip on the way to the MK. That would be super cool if that was possible. It would be like he's always getting there to see the progress of the MK again.

HauntedMansionFLA

It doesn't compute with me that DHS would even need that much parking
I can see the same the happening when Disney ran that Meet The Villians Friday the 13th party a few years back when they didn't charge an extra fee. Traffic was backed up for miles because they didn't have the parking at DHS and tried to re-route them over to EPCOT parking lot. Star Wars will draw that type of crowds - especially that first year when it opens.

It doesn't compute with me that DHS would even need that much parking

Building 2 new lands with one of them being Star Wars? I suspect they believe they will need the capacity. Plus if it's like any of the other expansion/major rehab projects they may end up expanding the bus loop which may cut into some of the existing parking.

Herbie

That's another point, will DHS even have the footprint in the park to handle a parking lot that can host that many people (1-8ish in a vehicle)..

I have no memory of Potter's opening, but I was under the impression atleast two decent sized parking garages (possibly on the parking land already established) would've been sufficient for SW. And If they're creating another entrance from the intended location, I would think expanding behind (or from the future entrance, beside) the current parking lot would be the way to go.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's another point, will DHS even have the footprint in the park to handle a parking lot that can host that many people (1-8ish in a vehicle)..

I have no memory of Potter's opening, but I was under the impression atleast two decent sized parking garages (possibly on the parking land already established) would've been sufficient for SW. And If they're creating another entrance from the intended location, I would think expanding behind (or from the future entrance, beside) the current parking lot would be the way to go.

images.jpg

Next Big Thing

Figures that one of the best areas for park expansion isn't being used for park expansion.

Would it be easy to connect though? Isn't that road being removed?
Surface parking is easy to transform and use for park use though. It could be used for parking for 5-10 years and then one day they just decide they have a new plan that involves expanding the park into that lot.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I can see the same the happening when Disney ran that Meet The Villians Friday the 13th party a few years back when they didn't charge an extra fee..
The bigger issue back then was the road system failed to cope. Plus the amount of cars trying to use the signal controlled north entrance.

The lots may become bigger but the park itself will not have the capacity to soak up the expected crowds.

hpyhnt 1000

The bigger issue back then was the road system failed to cope. Plus the amount of cars trying to use the signal controlled north entrance.

The lots may become bigger but the park itself will not have the capacity to soak up the expected crowds.

Well, WDW is playing a lot of catch up on everything, including it's road/transport infrastructure. Along with the traffic situation at DHS, we've seen it with Disney Springs (ongoing with a new interchange at Buena Vista and EPCOT Center Drives) and the MK parking entrance, which is scheduled to begin a massive overhaul next year I believe.

But that still leaves the bus/monorail/watercraft situation, all of which are already stretched pretty thin. With Pandora, SWL and the rest of the DHS changes (plus possible new things in Epcot and MK by 2021), attendance is likely going to see a marked increase over the next 5 years. Disney Transport is going to need to expand with it, and I don't know if they're going to be ready for that...

doctornick

Figures that one of the best areas for park expansion isn't being used for park expansion.

Would it be easy to connect though? Isn't that road being removed?

As mentioned, there is no immediate plans for that land to be used for park expansion. However, as also mentioned, even if it becomes surface lots for the time being, it could easily be used for park expansion in the future if that land is needed. Especially if parking decks are build elsewhere for DHS reducing the demand for existing surface lots.

If that space is eventually considered for park expansion, I think it would be possible to build show buildings back to back with the planned/existing stuff along the road there and then have a "breezeway" between the show buildings connecting the lands. Picture, as an example, the way that Frontierland/Liberty Sq and Adventureland are kind of back to back.

DznyRktekt

As mentioned, there is no immediate plans for that land to be used for park expansion. However, as also mentioned, even if it becomes surface lots for the time being, it could easily be used for park expansion in the future if that land is needed. Especially if parking decks are build elsewhere for DHS reducing the demand for existing surface lots.

If that space is eventually considered for park expansion, I think it would be possible to build show buildings back to back with the planned/existing stuff along the road there and then have a "breezeway" between the show buildings connecting the lands. Picture, as an example, the way that Frontierland/Liberty Sq and Adventureland are kind of back to back.
Well said. I hope this is the plan.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Potentially via Mupoets Courtyard, yes. Anywhere else would be too narrow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom