Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Earl Sweatpants

Naw, I think I'm pretty accurate on this one. Most of the public enjoy their entertainment on a very casual basis, don't read credits and simply enjoy a good film when it comes along and then get on with their lives.

In the past years, several things have happened to erase the boundary between "Pixar" and "Disney" beyond the flat-out purchase and John Lasseter producing for both studios:
1) Disney stopped producing hand-drawn films.
2) Disney's CGI films greatly improved in quality. Entering a new kind of "Golden Age," their best now equals Pixar's best.
3) Pixar's produced a few disappointments and a big bomb. Hey, it happens. They're still amazing.
4) Frozen and Zootopia became the two most successful non-sequel animated films in history.
5) Planes and Planes 2. Disney? Pixar? Pixney? Disnar? Pixneytoons?

There is really no reason to build a "Pixar" land at this point. It's just not gonna happen. All their characters are now Disney characters. The first Disney Infinity Game was 2/3 Pixar. Pixar characters are all over Magic Kingdom and Epcot. The general public doesn't care that one set of animators created Elsa and Judy Hopps while another created Woody and Bing Bong. Disney treats it all as one huge stable of animated characters. The idea for a Pixar Land made sense ten or fifteen years ago. Its time has passed.

There is a simple fix for all of this....just call it Animation Land. There, job done.

DinoInstitute

I hope I'm wrong, but I see a parachute drop, a Slinky Himalaya and an RC Racer in the future...
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I say drop the coaster and bring either RC or Army Men in its place. It'll cut the budget of the land and satisfy the thrill aspect.

I mean, neither one is a great attraction, but honestly TSL is a lost cause as far as creating a really immersive land goes so I'd rather the budget goes to another area of the park to help capacity (which could mean Mickeys ride on a new plot), or even a second land next to TSL (and those who know me know how much I desire Monstropolis :p :D).

Mike S

Naw, I think I'm pretty accurate on this one. Most of the public enjoy their entertainment on a very casual basis, don't read credits and simply enjoy a good film when it comes along and then get on with their lives.

In the past years, several things have happened to erase the boundary between "Pixar" and "Disney" beyond the flat-out purchase and John Lasseter producing for both studios:
1) Disney stopped producing hand-drawn films.
2) Disney's CGI films greatly improved in quality. Entering a new kind of "Golden Age," their best now equals Pixar's best.
3) Pixar's produced a few disappointments and a big bomb. Hey, it happens. They're still amazing.
4) Frozen and Zootopia became the two most successful non-sequel animated films in history.
5) Planes and Planes 2. Disney? Pixar? Pixney? Disnar? Pixneytoons?

There is really no reason to build a "Pixar" land at this point. It's just not gonna happen. All their characters are now Disney characters. The first Disney Infinity Game was 2/3 Pixar. Pixar characters are all over Magic Kingdom and Epcot. The general public doesn't care that one set of animators created Elsa and Judy Hopps while another created Woody and Bing Bong. Disney treats it all as one huge stable of animated characters. The idea for a Pixar Land made sense ten or fifteen years ago. Its time has passed.
Stop_being_obtuse_copy.jpg

;)

Rich T

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I say drop the coaster and bring either RC or Army Men in its place. It'll cut the budget of the land and satisfy the thrill aspect.

I mean, neither one is a great attraction, but honestly TSL is a lost cause as far as creating a really immersive land goes so I'd rather the budget goes to another area of the park to help capacity (which could mean Mickeys ride on a new plot), or even a second land next to TSL (and those who know me know how much I desire Monstropolis :p :D).
A Monstropolis would be great. It's *really* a shame Monsters U didn't do better in theaters, because I really wanted to see Monstropolis and the Door Coaster come to both WDW and DL.

And, seriously, I wouldn't mind the Parachute drop or RC. Both look fun. Isn't it a shame, though, that the coaster could be dumbed down or deleted to save money by a company that--if all the BS was swept aside--can certainly afford to build a freaking E ticket Slinky coaster.

po1998

Considering the target audience, hopefully TSL at the very least succeeds in being a people eater and puts smiles on the faces of guest with young children. I realize the theming will not be on scale with AvatarLand or SWL, but I don't think WDI is going to completely cheap out on it. That being said, the fanbois who don't like the idea of TSL are going to rip it to shreds no matter what since there won't be much for them in that land to begin with.

DinoInstitute

Considering the target audience, hopefully TSL at the very least succeeds in being a people eater and puts smiles on the faces of guest with young children. I realize the theming will not be on scale with AvatarLand or SWL, but I don't think WDI is going to completely cheap out on it. That being said, the fanbois who don't like the idea of TSL are going to rip it to shreds no matter what since there won't be much for them in that land to begin with.
The problem really isn't just the content though, it's the content in relation to the timeline. Had TSL opened end of 2016/early 2017 as it should have been planned to, I think there would be a lot less complaints and more people appreciating it for what it is.

po1998

The problem really isn't just the content though, it's the content in relation to the timeline. Had TSL opened end of 2016/early 2017 as it should have been planned to, I think there would be a lot less complaints and more people appreciating it for what it is.
I disagree based on the tone of the posts in this thread that the problem isn't "content". That being said, we'll never now since it is not opening in the timeframe you mentioned.

I do agree the project timelines for TSL, Avatar, SWL, NFL, etc... have all been absolutely ridiculous.

DinoInstitute

I disagree based on the tone of the posts in this thread that the problem isn't "content". That being said, we'll never now since it is not opening in the timeframe you mentioned.

I do agree the project timelines for TSL, Avatar, SWL, NFL, etc... have all been absolutely ridiculous.
Well the reason I say that is because earlier in the thread before we realized how long it would take, there were a whole lot more supporters of the land and being excited for it.

At this point, it feels disappointing waiting all this time and that being all we're getting.

clemmo

So if it's true that the coaster has been put on delay I really hope they're adding on to it so we don't end up with a SDMT scenario where its fun but too short. As much as people hate on the coaster the two launches should be fun especially for those that can't handle a launch like RNR, however I agree the theming desperately needs to be reviewed. Also if they replaced the coaster with a nice themed dark ride I'd be ok with that. I just don't want a land full of flat rides like TSPL.

Mike S

Kid friendly doesn't have to mean carnival type flat rides and theming. That's the same mindset behind Dino-Rama. As perfect examples, Pirates and Mansion are kid friendly.

brb1006

Why not? Both sound awesome!
Both of those rides at both Toy Story Lands at Hong Kong Disneyland and Disneyland Paris at Disney Studios Park look cheap and are a bit generic. The Parachute ride gets special mention since it's almost Six Flags quality and styled ride compared to Jumping Jellyfish at California Adventure at Disneyland.
disneyland-hong-kong-toy-story-land-toy-soldier-parachute-drop.jpg

toy-story-land-main-133104888.jpg

This is also in the same resort that has Mystic Manor. (Hong Kong)

Last edited:

WDWbuff2001

Both of those rides at both Toy Story Lands at Hong Kong Disneyland and Disneyland Paris at Disney Studios Park look cheap and are a bit generic. The Parachute ride gets special mention since it's almost Six Flags quality and styled ride compared to Jumping Jellyfish at California Adventure at Disneyland.
disneyland-hong-kong-toy-story-land-toy-soldier-parachute-drop.jpg

toy-story-land-main-133104888.jpg

From the same park (Hong Kong)

I like those rides for that reason.. Its original, and different.. It kinda adds a special touch to the land..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom