Trip Report Phil getting swallowed by a shark is so September. It's time for a November Disney trip report!!!

NOTE - November 7, 2016 - For those of you just looking for the Disney portion of this trip report, it begins on Page 11. If you're looking for the Key West portion, begin on Page 5. PS - Original title of this thread was "Phil got swallowed by a Great White Shark - it's time to go back!"

NOTE - September 9, 2016 - For those of you who don't feel like scrolling through the "pre-trip report" stuff, I totally get it and the Key West portion of the actual trip begins on Page Five. The Disney Old Key West portion will begin in November. :) I'll give the page that starts on too. Now back to your regularly scheduled pre-trip report for those who want to read all of the posts.

Well, not exactly.

Or should I say, not yet.

Or should I say, Phil is actually the Great White Shark.

Ummm.... what exactly am I saying here, or trying to say, totally unsuccessfully?

Well, here goes.

For those of you who don't chat with us on the Chit Chat Thread, and damn you to all of you who don't (kidding! - come chat!), you will not really know how anti-Disney my partner Phil has been toward Disney since our last trip, which was last June. I'm not going to mince words - he has basically been a total jerk. Every time I bring up going back to Disney, he does something very similar to this:

The last time I brought it up, he said, and I quote, "I would rather be waterboarded than go back there!!!"

That can be arranged, is what I was thinking.

But wait! How can he possibly hate it so much when he acts like he loves it when he is there?? Your honor, I present to you the following evidence:

Biergarten.JPG

And this (if he's a little less happy here it's just cause there is no drink in his paw. :hungover:

Mexico.JPG

And this!

Boardwalk Villa.JPG

And this!!

Spoons.JPG

I could keep going all night, but you get the idea. I find him guilty of secretly liking Disney - at least once he gets there. This is not a tortured, miserable soul at a Disney park. He is having fun. So why all the pushback for going back?

Well, let me quote once again:

"I don't know why we have to go there all the time when there all all sorts of other places to go to!!!!"

Okay. Point taken. I didn't bring it up again for a while.

Then, a series of unfortunate events happened in very quick order, or actually just two that felt like a lot:

I got downsized (that means fired, due to budget cutbacks) from a job I had held for 19 years.Here is what was my incredible office:

Office 4.JPG

And then, soon after, our little cat, Spooky, started screaming in the middle of the night and we ran downstairs to find out what was going on, and the back half of him was paralyzed and cold. He wouldn't stop screaming. We rushed him as fast as possible to a 24-7 animal hospital and they told us that he had a sudden blood clot that had burst and paralyzed him and there was a 99.9% chance that there was no hope. We were basically forced to put Spooky to sleep. :(

Spooky hockey.JPG

Spooky snow.JPG
Spooky tub.JPG

The tears flowed like the River Jordan.

Yeah, it's been a rough patch folks.

But on the good news side, my contract got picked up by one of my previous job's competitors, and I was only out of work for 2 weeks. On the other hand, nothing can replace a sweet cat that didn't deserve to go in such a violent way. Where am I going with this?

Oh yes, that's right. You see, from my previous job, I got a small, but to me, significant severance package. People I tell about it laugh and say it's nothing, but to me, who has lived from paycheck to paycheck my entire life, I finally have money in the bank ---- but not for long if I have anything to say about it, dammit!!

This is my very long and meandering way of saying that I finally convinced Phil to go back to Disney, but only because I surprised him by telling him that for his birthday (on September 15), I was taking him to Key West. We've never been, and assuming that he does not get swallowed by the great white shark in the title of this thread, we are then doing a Key West-a-Palooza and we are going to be staying at Old Key West from November 1 - 4 for Food and Wine Festival.

Look! I themed our Fall! :)

I feel like this resort is totally out of the way of everything, but when I looked at the 25% discount offer that they currently have, I was able to book a one bedroom villa (!!!!) at Old Key West for $150.00 less than it would have been to book a standard room at the Contemporary. It was kind of like an offer I could not refuse.

Yeah, so three nights is basically just a tease, but as I told my pals on the Chit Chat thread (and again, why aren't the rest of you having fun there too??) , I'm going to use this as an excuse to demand a new trip for 2017. ;) And since the Philmonster is bound to throw a fit about that, I am going to search out that Bounce Back Offer as soon as I get to the room. :) If you want, I'll post the details/pics of the Key West trip in September prior to the November trip to the World.

Hope you are all having a great summer.

:D

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Awww, Buddy. Very sorry about Spooky, that must have been awful.

Been there. My Baby (no, I really named her Baby) was with me from 2 weeks after my 18th birthday in my first apartment until 2 weeks after my honeymoon at age 36. Couldn't talk to anyone for days. I get it.

It took me almost 2 years before I would even go look at a dog at the pound (which ended up turning out really well!!)

Please don't make me start reading the chit chat chit chat thread.

Re: Key West: love the real one. Never stayed at the Disney one, but we have eaten at Olivia's a few times and always enjoy it. Laid back, decent, not too pricey, cocktails...

A friend of ours has a DVC rental there and she seems to like it. I wonder if you could get an even better deal renting DVC points to stay there? Might be worth checking into.
Thanks for this. Any must do's at Key West (the real one)? We're doing a snorkeling trip, and will of course go to all the tourist trap bars like Sloppy Joe's, etc, but any recommendations? Specifically looking for a good restaurant for Phil's birthday. As if he deserves a good restaurant. He's lucky if I give him a McDonald's Happy Meal at this point. ;)

Tony the Tigger

Thanks for this. Any must do's at Key West (the real one)? We're doing a snorkeling trip, and will of course go to all the tourist trap bars like Sloppy Joe's, etc, but any recommendations? Specifically looking for a good restaurant for Phil's birthday. As if he deserves a good restaurant. He's lucky if I give him a McDonald's Happy Meal at this point. ;)

Yes, yes, yes - Blue Heaven is a favorite of ours. There are others – will type more when I'm on the computer rather than on the phone LOL. I still hate making long posts on the phone.

Tony the Tigger

OK, must-do's, etc:

Most of everything (especially touristy) is on or just off Duval Street.

One night, you have to do the sunset at Mallory Square. It's at one end of Duval Street. Basically think a bit of a festival, street performers, things to buy, grab a drink, and everybody watches the sunset.

Red shirt bars: Aqua - in the middle of Duval, nice place, say hi to bartender Aaron. (He and his hubby had the first successful lawsuit against the state of Florida for marriage equality. Side note: Brian and I were a part of that lawsuit, but were asked to remove ourselves from it because we were not similarly situated, i.e. we already had a legal out of state marriage. The other couple didn't, which theoretically could weaken the case on appeal.) Another side note: Aaron does not know me as Tony the Tigger LOL. Just Tony from Fort Lauderdale LOL. We were both bartenders in Fort Lauderdale back in the day.

Bobby's Monkey Bar - on Simonton Street - more of a local red shirt dive, cheap non-touristy drinks, karaoke several nights a week, say hi to Elaine, good friend also. (Of course, at either of these places, pick up the local red-shirt rag for a complete guide. There's a column kind of like a "dear Abby" but from the voice of a dirty Granny that I usually read out loud drunk and hysterical as we are walking back to wherever we are staying.)

Speaking of staying, where are you staying? We love Alexander's although I'm not sure it's still "family." But when it was, it was a classy one, as opposed to let's say Island House (across the street) which is clothing optional (on second thought, that might be right up your alley LOL.) Neither of these two places are very close to Duval, but we still walked from there to Duval. If you do stay at or near Alexander's, Cafe Sol was very good, but pricey again.

Slightly more reasonable price-wise but still the full experience and good food: Kelly's. I'll probably think of more (or more precisely, I'll ask Brian and he'll think of more) which I can post later. But very few places suck. One did - a restaurant on Duval that was named by it's address. Overpriced tourist trap, don't remember the exact number/name.

La Te Da is another red shirt place to eat/drink/stay and catch a drag show. We have only ever sat outside to drink.

Many places to stay include a breakfast and/or a free happy hour at the hotel.

There are so many good restaurants, most are pricey. Again, Blue Heaven is wonderful. We found it while getting lost looking for an Italian place. Mango's was a decent lunch spot. There is actually a Mexican place I'm going to have to research but it was more of a Mexican fusion - we always have a good time there and bring people there. One of the lower priced meals but decent, not the same old Mexican, and fun.

Just go exploring, you almost can't miss. Walking up and down Duval is like walking through Disney Springs, but with more bars. Don't veer too far off (past Whitehead, the next parallel street) or you can get into dicey neighborhoods.

If you're into the spooky - take a Ghost tour (we did) and/or visit the East Martello Museum (it's really tiny and you won't be looking at anything by Van Gogh - mostly just old Key West "stuff" - but the star attraction is Robert the Doll (about whom you'll hear on the ghost tour.) He was the real life inspiration for the Chuckie movies. Do NOT take his picture. There are letters all over the wall from people who took his picture "without permission" and were befallen by all sorts of maladies. We did not take his picture, but purchased postcards with his picture on them, and both crashed our mopeds on the way back to the hotel LOL. Oh yeah, you can rent mopeds. Or bicycles.

The beach is not so much a beach as pebbles by the water. There is an AIDS memorial at one entrance.

If you'll have a car, bring change - meters almost everywhere, and often hard to park at your own hotel. Locals have special parking privileges.

I don't enjoy it, but Key Lime pie is apparently a big deal.

and...mosquito repellent. Zika is in Miami, not that far. You never know. They're now saying it affects the brains of adults.

Not every single place is gay-friendly. The island has taken a turn for the straight since it became a stop for cruise ships. One day, we were walking down Duval, and this...woman (who looked like she just stepped out of a Roseanne rerun) was handing out cards for a strip club. I jokingly said, "not my scene, honey," and she shot back: "then you belong at the other end of Duval." Seriously? Because I could have sworn she belonged at the other end of a bald guy with hairy shoulders wearing a wife-beater and cut-off shorts.

Do read some of the T-shirts in the T-shirt shop windows. LOL.

Oh! And the tombstones at the cemetery! Legendary.

I am remembering some other fun stops - a little variety of place instead of all on Duval - but my memory bank (Brian) will have to remind me of the details when he gets home. Otherwise all I got is "that big place by the water where we got the really good cracked conch."

Locals are called Conchs by the way. It's a word that can be easily confused. For , which are everywhere. Wild . -a-doodle-doing all over the place. You have pigeons, they have chickens. Fa real.

Historic stuff: the Hemingway House (we've never been) where they still have descendants of his six-toed cats all over the place - if you can handle cats. You probably won't see six-toed ones anywhere else. the Audobon House (never been) and Truman's little White House (never been.) (these historic places are not on the bar crawl, sorry.)

Just relax, enjoy, have fun.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
OK, must-do's, etc:

One night, you have to do the sunset at Mallory Square. It's at one end of Duval Street. Basically think a bit of a festival, street performers, things to buy, grab a drink, and everybody watches the sunset.

Red shirt bars: Aqua - in the middle of Duval, nice place, say hi to bartender Aaron. (He and his hubby had the first successful lawsuit against the state of Florida for marriage equality. Side note: Brian and I were a part of that lawsuit, but were asked to remove ourselves from it because we were not similarly situated, i.e. we already had a legal out of state marriage. The other couple didn't, which theoretically could weaken the case on appeal.) Another side note: Aaron does not know me as Tony the Tigger LOL. Just Tony from Fort Lauderdale LOL. We were both bartenders in Fort Lauderdale back in the day.

Bobby's Monkey Bar - on Simonton Street - more of a local red shirt dive, cheap non-touristy drinks, karaoke several nights a week, say hi to Elaine, good friend also. (Of course, at either of these places, pick up the local red-shirt rag for a complete guide. There's a column kind of like a "dear Abby" but from the voice of a dirty Granny that I usually read out loud drunk and hysterical as we are walking back to wherever we are staying.)

Speaking of staying, where are you staying? We love Alexander's although I'm not sure it's still "family." But when it was, it was a classy one, as opposed to let's say Island House (across the street) which is clothing optional (on second thought, that might be right up your alley LOL.) Neither of these two places are very close to Duval, but we still walked from there to Duval. If you do stay at or near Alexander's, Cafe Sol was very good, but pricey again.

Slightly more reasonable price-wise but still the full experience and good food: Kelly's. I'll probably think of more (or more precisely, I'll ask Brian and he'll think of more) which I can post later. But very few places suck. One did - a restaurant on Duval that was named by it's address. Overpriced tourist trap, don't remember the exact number/name.

La Te Da is another red shirt place to eat/drink/stay and catch a drag show. We have only ever sat outside to drink.

There are so many good restaurants, most are pricey. Again, Blue Heaven is wonderful. We found it while getting lost looking for an Italian place. Mango's was a decent lunch spot. There is actually a Mexican place I'm going to have to research but it was more of a Mexican fusion - we always have a good time there and bring people there. One of the lower priced meals but decent, not the same old Mexican, and fun.

Just go exploring, you almost can't miss. Walking up and down Duval is like walking through Disney Springs, but with more bars. Don't veer too far off (past Whitehead, the next parallel street) or you can get into dicey neighborhoods.

If you're into the spooky - take a Ghost tour (we did) and/or visit the East Martello Museum (it's really tiny and you won't be looking at anything by Van Gogh - mostly just old Key West "stuff" - but the star attraction is Robert the Doll (about whom you'll hear on the ghost tour.) He was the real life inspiration for the Chuckie movies. Do NOT take his picture. There are letters all over the wall from people who took his picture "without permission" and were befallen by all sorts of maladies. We did not take his picture, but purchased postcards with his picture on them, and both crashed our mopeds on the way back to the hotel LOL. Oh yeah, you can rent mopeds. Or bicycles.

The beach is not so much a beach as pebbles by the water. There is an AIDS memorial at one entrance.

If you'll have a car, bring change - meters almost everywhere, and often hard to park at your own hotel. Locals have special parking privileges.

and...mosquito repellent. Zika is in Miami, not that far. You never know. They're now saying it affects the brains of adults.

Not every single place is gay-friendly. The island has taken a turn for the straight since it became a stop for cruise ships. One day, we were walking down Duval, and this...woman (who looked like she just stepped out of a Roseanne rerun) was handing out cards for a strip club. I jokingly said, "not my scene, honey," and she shot back: "then you belong at the other end of Duval." Seriously? Because I could have sworn she belonged at the other end of a bald guy with hairy shoulders wearing a wife-beater and cut-off shorts.

I am remembering some other fun stops - a little variety of place instead of all on Duval - but my memory bank (Brian) will have to remind me of the details when he gets home. Otherwise all I got is "that big place by the water where we got the really good cracked conch."

Locals are called Conchs by the way. It's a word that can be easily confused. For *****, which are everywhere. Wild *****. ****-a-doodle-doing all over the place. You have pigeons, they have chickens. Fa real.

Historic stuff: the Hemingway House (we've never been) where they still have descendants of his six-toed cats all over the place - if you can handle cats. You probably won't see six-toed ones anywhere else. the Audobon House (never been) and Truman's little White House (never been.) (these historic places are not on the bar crawl, sorry.)

Oh my God! Thank you SO much! This post is incredible! I spent $18.95 on a guide book and this post has better information than that entire book!

Definitely going to check out Blue Heaven. Love that there are roosters running around. Ha ha. And thanks for the info on the red shirt places and all the other info. You rock and I owe you one.

PS - we're staying at the Southernmost Beach Resort, which I would normally never be able to afford........but hey, severance package! ;)

Thanks again!!

Tony the Tigger

Oh my God! Thank you SO much! This post is incredible! I spent $18.95 on a guide book and this post has better information than that entire book!

Definitely going to check out Blue Heaven. Love that there are roosters running around. Ha ha. And thanks for the info on the red shirt places and all the other info. You rock and I owe you one.

PS - we're staying at the Southernmost Beach Resort, which I would normally never be able to afford........but hey, severance package! ;)

Thanks again!!

We haven't stayed at Southernmost but have heard all good things about it. Several friends go there regularly. And you'll be "right there."

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Buddy, very happy that you're getting to visit Key West. I've never been down that far, but years ago, I did go to the keys of Islamorada and Key Largo. It was paradise down there--like scenery out of a movie.

At the time I was visiting for a few days, I stayed at a (former) boss's house (like something out of Architectural Digest--expensive, and gorgeous inside and out. I really shouldn't call it just a house--this was an estate.). He had a yacht that was hooked up to a private dock outside his house, too. Of course, everything was gated down there and alarmed to the utmost degree.

The boss and his wife had a German shepherd dog; and both the dog and I enjoyed munching on wild cherries from the bushes that grew outside his house! :hungry: (That's right--his dog loved cherries from the gardens, and would bite them off the branches and eat them! :D Oh, @Tony the Tigger , I wonder if your dog, Kylie, would also enjoy them. :) )

Lastly, the boss's maintenance man invited me to join him at an open air bar in Key Largo one night. I recall having the strongest drink of my life there--it was called a Rum Runner. Oh my, I had one of those and was practically leaning on the maintenance guy all the way back to the car, so I wouldn't do a face plant. :joyfull: I'm not an experienced drinker like you, Buddy, so this is probably something you'd enjoy! :p

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
OK, must-do's, etc:

Locals are called Conchs by the way. It's a word that can be easily confused. For *****, which are everywhere. Wild *****. ****-a-doodle-doing all over the place. You have pigeons, they have chickens. Fa real.

Bookmarking this post in case I ever get to Key West. :)

My dad went to Key West in April, had a great time. He's 84. Flew down from LGA to spend a couple weeks with his 86yo brother who lives in Deltona (and still takes his boat out a few times a week). They took a long weekend, flew from MCO to FLL, rented a car and drove to Key West because "crossing that seven mile bridge" was on Dad's bucket list. Hope I'm as spry when (if!) I reach that age. Anyway, the point of all that is, they went to the Hemingway House and enjoyed it. Dad even had his picture taken with one of the cats, and he's not much of an animal lover. ;)

They stayed at a Beat Western and gave it good marks. I recall that there are 2 on the island, I'll look up which one and report back.

Songbird76

Thank so much - but don't you feel like Old Key West is in the middle of nowhere? I'm not really sold on this yet. There must be some reason why they offered me a crazy low rate for a one bedroom villa. Anyway, it'll be fun. :)
Maybe it's in the middle of nowhere, BUT, A. It's Disney...so that's a win, and B. maybe being a little more out of the way will make Phil more comfortable and more willing to go back? Maybe Phil needs a little less of the bubble?

DisneyPrincess5

Omg so sorry to hear about your kitty. Ugh it breaks my heart to read that. He was lucky to have been yours. Have some drinks in honor of him at F&W, or knowing from your reports, 6 drinks an hour.

So happy to hear you're going back!!! You broke down the Philmonster-impressive work. A Florida Fall with Disney and Key West-sounds so fun. Umm your F&W trip is awfully close to the election. How will you be able to enjoy your trip while doing last minute campaigning? #BuddyThomasforPresident

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom