Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mawg

I don't understand the point of that. Nothing happened because they didn't want it too. What is so difficult to understand about that. Is there a law that says they have to do something the moment they close something down. They just plain didn't do anything because they just plain didn't want too do anything. It has nothing to do with how long it took to build similar lands, it has everything to do with when they wanted to do something. We can't define a specific time frame as being acceptable or not, and do it with any degree of reality. What exactly is the big deal. They are the ones that stood to lose by delaying any decision and movement, all we did was wait. Do you at home, never delay action on something for whatever reason you may have for delaying it? I'm sorry I just don't understand why when they do something is anything that is owed to us. If we don't agree we simply don't go there. That is the absolute only control we have. If you are a stock holder of significance, you call the board directors and give them hell, otherwise, you have no control at all. Nor is it any of our business how any business is run, if we don't have stock.

And just for the sake of discussion, they didn't close LMA before they began TSL, just not sufficiently for your approval. There is a reason and just because we don't know what it is, doesn't make it invalid.
That seems like as good a reason as any. Nothing happened because they didn't want it to. I'm good with that.

Goofyernmost

That seems like as good a reason as any. Nothing happened because they didn't want it to. I'm good with that.
Might as well be, because any other feeling you might have about it amounts to a fart in a whirlwind. It has no relevance or influence on what happens until they are ready to let it happen.

No Name

Pixar is not a theme.

-----

Since this seems to be something most don't understand, I'll start with a question. What makes a movie a Pixar film?

Well, it is created by Pixar, and the name Pixar (or Disney-Pixar) appears in advertising and on the movie itself. But Pixar is just a name. That wasn't the case in 1996, but 20 years later, it most certainly is. Could the average guest even tell you which computer animated movies were made by Disney and which by Pixar (apart from the obvious like Toy Story and Frozen)? To prove my point, I pose another question: what makes The Good Dinosaur a Pixar movie and Zootopia a Disney Animation movie? Why would Zootopia not belong in Pixar Land? Because it doesn't have the name Pixar stamped on it?

If the connecting feature of a land is the name and not the content, that is not good. That is poor design.

-----

Oh, but you are about to tell me there's a place called Fantasyland. I can't see the future, but I can see what you came back at @lazyboy97o with a number of pages back, and it is sure to happen to me. So I shall explain in advance. Fantasyland works because it takes you into a realm of fantasy. It is about the content of the land, not the name.

Furthermore, the land works because it is in contrast to Tomorrowland and Frontierland. Oh, did I forget Adventureland? Sorry. What I mean is that taking you into the world of fantasy isn't the strongest theme by itself, but it becomes a strong theme because the neighboring lands take you into vastly different worlds of yesterday, tomorrow, and adventure. If you don't like Star Wars land going to Disneyland Park, you have good reason. It may weaken the contrast of the park as a whole.

-----

So "Pixar Land" is a poor idea, I made that clear in the first large chunk of my post. Whatever they go with needs to be about the content of the land, not a name. And it should work in contrast with the rest of the park. I believe a Toy Story Land does that. The Toy Story Land vs. Star Wars Land we are getting looks like it'll provide contrast between a Six Flags and Disney level of quality, but alas, that is a seperate issue.

While asking you to agree may be a bit much, I hope you at least see my point. If you don't agree or have any objections, please explain. I'm open to what everyone has to say and would be glad to have a good discussion.

Last edited:

Mawg

Might as well be, because any other feeling you might have about it amounts to a fart in a whirlwind. It has no relevance or influence on what happens until they are ready to let it happen.
True Beans. Not really worth having the fun discussing what might be going on in board rooms behind the scenes. Not really important discussing a book with a friend either since I can't change the book.

Mawg

Pixar is not a theme.

-----

Since this seems to be something most don't understand, I'll start with a question. What makes a movie a Pixar film?

Well, it is created by Pixar, and the name Pixar (or Disney-Pixar) appears in advertising and on the movie itself. But Pixar is just a name. That wasn't the case in 1996, but 20 years later, it most certainly is. Could the average guest even tell you which computer animated movies were made by Disney and which by Pixar (apart from the obvious like Toy Story and Frozen)? To prove my point, I pose another question: what makes The Good Dinosaur a Pixar movie and Zootopia a Disney Animation movie? Why would Zootopia not belong in Pixar Land? Because it doesn't have the name Pixar stamped on it?

If the connecting feature of a land is the name and not the content, that is not good. That is poor design.

-----

Oh, but you are about to tell me there's a place called Fantasyland. I can't see the future, but I can see what you came back at @lazyboy97o with a number of pages back, and it is sure to happen to me. So I shall explain in advance. Fantasyland works because it takes you into a realm of fantasy. It is about the content of the land, not the name.

Furthermore, the land works because it is in contrast to Tomorrowland and Frontierland. Oh, did I forget Adventureland? Sorry. What I mean is that taking you into the world of fantasy isn't the strongest theme by itself, but it becomes a strong theme because the neighboring lands take you into vastly different worlds of yesterday, tomorrow, and adventure. If you don't like Star Wars land going to Disneyland Park, you have good reason. It may weaken the contrast of the park as a whole.

-----

So "Pixar Land" is a poor idea, I made that clear in the first large chunk of my post. Whatever they go with needs to be about the content of the land, not a name. And it should work in contrast with the rest of the park.

While asking you to agree may be a bit much, I hope you at least see my point. If you don't agree or have any objections, please explain. I'm open to what everyone has to say and would be glad to have a good discussion.
I completely get your point. Putting a bunch of mismatched movies together in one land may not be too cohesive. But, I think most of us just want to see a better use of 12 acres than a land based on Toy Story which already has a presence in multiple parks.

DinoInstitute

Pixar is not a theme.

-----

-----

-----

So "Pixar Land" is a poor idea, I made that clear in the first large chunk of my post. Whatever they go with needs to be about the content of the land, not a name. And it should work in contrast with the rest of the park.

I see your point, I just don't think it's the case. People know the difference between WDAS and Pixar more than your probably think, especially early Pixar. Every year there's a lot of people I know who don't particularly care about animated films in general that much at all, but always are interested in "What's this years Pixar movie?"

IMO it's the equivalent of saying Marvel studios or Lucasfilm are "just Disney" (well, maybe to a lesser extent, but you get my point). I mean, other than the fact that there was only one ride in the land, nobody seemed to think it weird that Pixar Place was a thing.

But anyway, you say a land should be about its content and not its name, why can't Pixar be the content?

Goofyernmost

True Beans. Not really worth having the fun discussing what might be going on in board rooms behind the scenes. Not really important discussing a book with a friend either since I can't change the book.
No, you can interpret things any way you want to, just like talking about a book. You can agree with what they do as well as what an author wrote. What you cannot do is change the words in the books or decisions already made. With a book you at least know what the words are because there they are in print in front of you. You can take those words and attempt to figure out what they meant other then just what they said. That would also be a mistake because many times it is just what they wrote and nothing more, just like with Disney management. You can pull all your hair out attempting to figure out what they meant when they did something a certain way, but, unless you are part of the board of directors you just don't know and if they want to keep their cushy jobs they aren't going to tell us especially for little details like project timing.

Mawg

No, you can interpret things any way you want to, just like talking about a book. You can agree with what they do as well as what an author wrote. What you cannot do is change the words in the books or decisions already made. With a book you at least know what the words are because there they are in print in front of you. You can take those words and attempt to figure out what they meant other then just what they said. That would also be a mistake because many times it is just what they wrote and nothing more, just like with Disney management. You can pull all your hair out attempting to figure out what they meant when they did something a certain way, but, unless you are part of the board of directors you just don't know and if they want to keep their cushy jobs they aren't going to tell us especially for little details like project timing.
Got it, so no need to speculate when half way through as to what is going to happen. Just wait and find out. And if you like the author, no need to speculate as to when the next story will come out, what it will be about or when they might even start it. Not in control of it, so not worth discussing. You just made my life so much easier and maybe a little less fun. Thanks!

lazyboy97o

Of course something is going on... they haven't really started yet. Who makes up this time chart? You? Do you know all the in's and out's of how to build theme park lands that you know that everything that has to be done, has to be modeled, designed and fabricated to make a smooth build operation happen? Do they dig a hole, close down for a week waiting for specialty construction materials to be made and delivered?

Perhaps you time it so it all goes together and is in a very strict sequence of build to prevent unnecessary waiting and wasted time? Because that is how all construction is handled. Disney doesn't send a group of go-fers out to Home Depot to pick up a couple of 2 X 4's as they need them. It's a process and a precise process. So get upset, if you must, over the time it takes to build this highly technical, specialized areas, but, you will be frustrated for no reason at all.
Just because you do not know does not mean no one else knows. Toy Story Land is nothing special.

Rutt

Got it, so no need to speculate when half way through as to what is going to happen. Just wait and find out. And if you like the author, no need to speculate as to when the next story will come out, what it will be about or when they might even start it. Not in control of it, so not worth discussing. You just made my life so much easier and maybe a little less fun. Thanks!
It depends. Speculate away honestly. But are you going to start swearing off the author and comparing their unreleased work to other authors based on what you think might be in the book?

Mike S

I think the point is exactly that. A feeling that they're going too slow in a park that needs the opposite.

In all fairness it's taken two years to get this far.
I had my own reply ready but this already summed it up.

Let me also add it's been just over a year since the announcement and since it's been said that this isn't likely for 2017 (unless I missed something) it'll be over 2 years before this land of DinoRama-esque rides opens.

Pa-the-TIC.

Goofyernmost

I think the point is exactly that. A feeling that they're going too slow in a park that needs the opposite.

In all fairness it's taken two years to get this far.
Sure, they are going to slow for our liking, but, who's to say that we are right and that we know why they are going slow. That's pretty assumptive on our part don't you think. I also think that just because we were not aware of some things that they didn't take two years or more in the planning stage before we even heard about them. I'm not saying that I don't think that they needed to fill in the blanks sooner, but, I at least do not pretend to know how one goes about, imagining, engineering, purchasing needed materials, getting ground work taken care of, getting an analyzing geological studies of the area, getting qualified construction companies, planning and re-planning locations, attractions and needed infrastructure should take. I don't and cannot think of any reason why it would be beneficial for them to slow down the process especially now that they have the budget. There are reasons that we are not being told and probably shouldn't be told, because frankly it isn't any of our business and the last thing any company would need are a bunch of unskilled, armchair imagineers micro-managing a project like this. I'm just going to give them the benefit of the doubt that there are good reasons and not just assume the worst, which in and of itself makes no sense anyway.
Really, your sarcasm is getting a little old. See if you can come up with a new approach won't you? I never said it wasn't worth discussing and I believe that is exactly what I have been doing. Or is it only a discussion if we all agree to have the same opinion as yours? I've never tried to stop you from having your opinion, all I have done is attempt to show that your opinion is incorrect. That is discussion I believe or at the very least debate. However, repeating everything I said in a sarcastic undertone is not a convincing argument or even discussion. Try a little harder, but, do so by yourself because we have carried this well beyond a logical point. Enjoy!
Just because you do not know does not mean no one else knows. Toy Story Land is nothing special.
Not sure what that means and yes I do think that unless you or anyone else is actually sitting in the board room when these decisions are made are only getting second, third and beyond hand information. The information that one might receive could be correct or it could be just an interpretation from the one giving the info. Anytime things are passed down they are completely incorrect at worst or extremely modified at best. I've been around long enough to know that humans cannot be trusted to pass along unbiased and exact information, so I prefer to go with what my mind logically tells me might be happening. You will also note that I have never said that my opinions are take it to the bank, absolutely the way it is. However, that is not what the rest of you spew forth.

lazyboy97o

Not sure what that means and yes I do think that unless you or anyone else is actually sitting in the board room when these decisions are made are only getting second, third and beyond hand information. The information that one might receive could be correct or it could be just an interpretation from the one giving the info. Anytime things are passed down they are completely incorrect at worst or extremely modified at best. I've been around long enough to know that humans cannot be trusted to pass along unbiased and exact information, so I prefer to go with what my mind logically tells me might be happening. You will also note that I have never said that my opinions are take it to the bank, absolutely the way it is. However, that is not what the rest of you spew forth.
What it means is that if you bothered to try and learn anything about the industry you might start to realize what nonsense it is to say that there are probably issues with design, engineering, contractors or even geotechnical studies.

Goofyernmost

What it means is that if you bothered to try and learn anything about the industry you might start to realize what nonsense it is to say that there are probably issues with design, engineering, contractors or even geotechnical studies.
If you would bother to pay attention you would know that I never mentioned any problems. What I listed were things that had to be accomplished before anything could happen. None of it could even really begin until decisions were made about what they were going to do in those places. All of that, if they went slicker then greased lightening still take time to do. Little elves do not come into the offices at night and magically answer all the questions that need to be answered. So, just like if you decide to build a shed in your backyard, from the moment you think that you would like to do that, if you are going to do a good job that is safe and functional for your needs, you won't be starting it the next day. Planning is going to be necessary so it will take a while for the first of the construction to actually take place. That is on a tiny scale like a shed in your backyard, now imagine, if you can, something the scale of a land or two in WDW. Something that is going to cost hundreds of millions of dollars and must last and maintain for years to come and will be seen and experienced by millions of people. Think that might slow your start time up a little until all your i's are doted and your t's are crossed?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If you would bother to pay attention you would know that I never mentioned any problems. What I listed were things that had to be accomplished before anything could happen. None of it could even really begin until decisions were made about what they were going to do in those places. All of that, if they went slicker then greased lightening still take time to do. Little elves do not come into the offices at night and magically answer all the questions that need to be answered. So, just like if you decide to build a shed in your backyard, from the moment you think that you would like to do that, if you are going to do a good job that is safe and functional for your needs, you won't be starting it the next day. Planning is going to be necessary so it will take a while for the first of the construction to actually take place. That is on a tiny scale like a shed in your backyard, now imagine, if you can, something the scale of a land or two in WDW. Something that is going to cost hundreds of millions of dollars and must last and maintain for years to come and will be seen and experienced by millions of people. Think that might slow your start time up a little until all your i's are doted and your t's are crossed?

Yes, planning is important, and yes we don't know all the is going on behind the scenes, but based on the speed things are happening it's not unreasonable to say that things are taking longer then they should. Having worked for Disney sized company in that past I can tell you that it's no unusual for things to take way longer then they should in a company like that.

DinoInstitute

Yes, planning is important, and yes we don't know all the is going on behind the scenes, but based on the speed things are happening it's not unreasonable to say that things are taking longer then they should. Having worked for Disney sized company in that past I can tell you that it's no unusual for things to take way longer then they should in a company like that.
You can tell more about this than I can, but from the pictures the ground seems more or less cleared to me, is that accurate? Because with demo being very close to done, there's no reason there should be 24 months left for working on TSL.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You can tell more about this than I can, but from the pictures the ground seems more or less cleared to me, is that accurate? Because with demo being very close to done, there's no reason there should be 24 months left for working on TSL.

Yes, it looks to me like everything that needs to be cleared for TSL has been cleared and they are starting to work on infrastructure. We have also seen permits for foundation construction for TSL.

Goofyernmost

That's what happens with rule by committee. The bigger the company the slower they move. No one is willing to take responsibility, so until the "group" decides it's OK, nothing happens. (strength in numbers)

clemmo

I have no info but I'd agree from the pics it looks ready for construction now. I really do think that the entire land has gone back to the drawing board. I wouldn't even be surprised if the whole Andy's backyard theme has changed. Overall if we get this thing 6-12 months later but a much better quality i'd be ok.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom