Mountain Rings

• Thread starter Deleted member 107043
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
Something has been troubling me for a few years now. It's the additional ring added to the top of Disneyland's Space Mountain. I like the look of it, but I'm puzzled. What purpose does it serve? Does anyone know why it was added?

20160823_180450.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
Thank you.

Of course I have more questions... First, why would anyone be up there? Second, why not add fall protections to the top of the Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain?

Curious Constance

Why doesn't anyone ever complain about the over-mountaining at Disneyland?

I've heard plenty of complaints about over usage of IPs, characters, princesses, Star Wars, but never about the blatant over usage of mountains.

Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Matterhorn Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain

Just why is Disney so addicted to Mountains? What are they trying to compensate for???

Stevek

Thank you.

Of course I have more questions... First, why would anyone be up there? Second, why not add fall protections to the top of the Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain?
I believe that most of the rides now have fall protection, some of it is hidden pretty well or integrated into the ride facade itself. I mean if they made the do what they did to Alice, gotta believe the big boys have it as well.

D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
Last edited by a moderator:

VJ

Why doesn't anyone ever complain about the over-mountaining at Disneyland?

I've heard plenty of complaints about over usage of IPs, characters, princesses, Star Wars, but never about the blatant over usage of mountains.

Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Matterhorn Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain

Just why is Disney so addicted to Mountains? What are they trying to compensate for???
Because it's what Walt would have wanted. Don't you know that he loved mountains almost as much as he loved trains?

GiveMeTheMusic

People like to complain about the lawyers and demands for ugly fall protection, but it's fall protection to protect workers who have to be up at those scary heights. Seems reasonable to me.

My only issue with the fall protection scramble is that some it is not necessary or was handled poorly. I'm looking at you, Alice.

Disney has also refrained from adding any fall protection in Florida, where there is no OSHA and no oversight. This proves that they actually don't give a damn about their CMs, they just want to cover their butts where they're forced to.

Phroobar

How much fall protection is there at Shanghai Disneyland? I bet if a cm falls there they are expected to get back to work or go back to making iphones for two dollars a day.

GiveMeTheMusic

Serious question, how would you know that? Do you have expertise in this area?

I do have some experience in this area, but some of it falls under common sense. Alice operated without incident for over 50 years, and the best solution they could come up with was to completely destroy the outdoor portion of the ride. Next time you're near Alice, walk over to where the Cheshire Cat figure is (the one that's in the wall, to the left of the attraction on the parade route). Look up at the top of the wall. There used to be one castle wall there. There are now three layered castle walls. Three.

CMs should be protected, absolutely, and that's Disney's responsibility. The questions arise from when they execute said protection in a really bad way that impacts show more than it has to, and when they ignore the potential issue in Florida altogether.

It's 100% CYA and has nothing to do with actually protecting CMs. Just lawsuit protection for them. But they're not worried enough about it to institute the same regulations at other resorts because they don't have to (and incidents are so incredibly rare in the first place).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom