Need Help with Planning an Asian Disney Parks and 2020 Olympics Trip

Tay

Original Poster
Hi everyone. I really need help with budgeting and planning for my trip to the Olympics and all Asian Disney Parks. After finally picking a major to stick with this year, I'll need to do school year round to graduate on time. My graduation date is around the Olympics. It would be a great graduation gift to be able to go to my dream destinations and experience an Olympics after working hard in college.

I would be going to grad school in the fall so I can't go as crazy as I want to but I'm giving the Disney parks an exception and I want one Kobe steak meal.

For my park days I would like to stay on Disney property. I wanted to stay at a luxury hotel during the Olympics but I think that's something that could be cut for my budget.

I'm a picky eater so I doubt I'll spend much on food other than the Kobe steak and snacks in the parks.

I originally didn't want to take public transportation at all but I'll take it during the Olympics and maybe a few other times. I do plan on going to a lot of Olympic events.

How many days should I do each resort? How much are Olympic event tickets? Any other cities in Asia I should check out? Any restaurants or places I should check out ? How much should I budget for?

BrerJon

Wow you've got a lot of planning ahead! This forum will help you out with questions, but broadly I'd suggest the following points to start with:

On hotels - Tokyo is very expensive, and hotel rooms are small, so depending on where you're from a 'luxury' hotel will probably be quite bank breaking, especially during the Olympics, but there are plenty of nice ones and you won't be spending much time in the hotel anyway I suspect as there's so much to see and do.

For Tokyo Disney, I'd say 3-4 days given how large crowds will probably be you'll need a lot of planning to make the most of it.

Don't eat the Kobe steak meal at Disney, save that for somewhere in the city where it will be better quality and more reasonably priced.

On your point about public transportation, Tokyo is a huge city and the only sensible way to get around is by train, it's too large to just do on foot, so you'll be using public transport a lot but the subway is quick and easy to get around.

As for Olympic tickets, they'll probably go on sale about a year before, so subscribe to Olympic newsletters and keep your eyes open for ticket deals. If it's anything like London or Rio there will be quite a few events, cycling, running etc., that you'll be able to watch without tickets.

It's impossible at this stage to estimate a budget, especially if you're going to be looking at other cities too, but as you flesh out the trip over the next couple of years you'll get an idea of what is and isn't possible.

Tokyo is an amazing city, and you've definitely made the right choice in planning a trip!

BrianLo

First big tip, stay in a TDR neighbour hotel such as the Hilton or Sheraton and not a Disney hotel itself.

I can see the ever so slight desire of having a park view of Tokyo Disney Sea, but it's honestly such a huge waste of money. For all intents and purposes the Hilton and Sheraton are 'on the monorail' hotels.

I also don't know how you expect to get around without public transit. That's half of the allure of Japan...

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
If staying at a Disney hotel in Tokyo is in your budget, just splurge and do it. I really love the Disney hotels in Japan, and stay there whenever I'm able to.

Tay

Original Poster
I've been busy with school but thanks for the replies everyone.

I planned on taking Ubers and Taxis instead of public transportation but that'll probably be really expensive.

I would never get a Kobe steak from Disney lol.

I plan on staying at Disney hotels during my park visits , not the entire trip.

I should really stop following the personal shoppers because right now most of my budget is going to Disney.

GiveMeTheMusic

I've been busy with school but thanks for the replies everyone.

I planned on taking Ubers and Taxis instead of public transportation but that'll probably be really expensive.

I would never get a Kobe steak from Disney lol.

I plan on staying at Disney hotels during my park visits , not the entire trip.

I should really stop following the personal shoppers because right now most of my budget is going to Disney.

There's no reason to avoid public transportation in Asia, especially Japan. All information is available in English and it's very inexpensive. With smartphone apps navigation has become very simple. Taxis and Ubers are very expensive in Japan (they are not expensive in Hong Kong however - in fact, taxis there were dirt cheap in my estimation).

Crazydisneyfanluke

Book in advance. (as far as you can)
Prices will increase over time.
Prices will increase for the Olympics.
It is really unknown if TDL/TDS will be effected by the Olympics (Boost/Drop in attendance)

WishingDisney

Hi. Are you going with many friends? If going with friends and want to say in a nice hotel within Tokyo DisneySea then you might like MiraCosta hotel. It's very convenient because it is inside DisneySea and close to rail for days when you want to explore outside. Also a few 2020 games will be in Chiba. They are about 35 minutes on the Keiyo Line: "Wrestling, Fencing and Taekwondo competitions will be held at the Makuhari Messe International Convention Complex in Chiba Prefecture" Other Olympic games are farther from Tokyo Disney so you might want to change hotels if you want to see Basketball, Shooting, Sailing, Cycling, or Football. If you and your friend(s) like view from your room at the MiraCosta, you can see Volcano and shows -- you can ask about views before you reserve your room. Not sure if view rooms will be available during Olympics if you don't reserve view room in advance. Tokyo Disney is a little far from shopping. So you might want to move to a hotel closer to shopping. If you watch anime, it's fun to rent a car or hire driver/car to see some places from your favorite anime. If you prefer American hotels, there are many near shops with rates similar to the DisneySea MiraCosta.

Tay

Original Poster
Update-I forgot I made this. Thank you all for your replies and help

Unfortunately life happened and late last year I found out I had to have a serious surgery that depleted my savings. I didn’t think my parents saved me anything but they did and was going to use it for my present when I graduated. It could’ve been worst if we didn’t have insurance and had to pay the entire 6 figures out of pocket.

I’m an optimistic person. I have to start over saving on my own but I’m getting rid of a lot of things I don’t need to help replenish my savings. I’m learning how to coupon, and source for eBay. If push comes to shove I’ll start churning. This is my dream trip. I have a lot of expensive stupid material possessions that I don’t or use that isn’t worth the experience of traveling Asia and visiting the Disney Park in the world.

Tay

Original Poster
The Olympics is 17 days so I’m planning on doing 14 days Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong. I’ll be doing 4 in Shanghai , 3 in Beijing and 5 days in Hong Kong. Other two days are for traveling.

I think I’ll start off in Shanghai. Of course I would love to stay at the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel but I’ll be willing to stay at Toy Story Hotel unless I hit the lottery lol. Planning for 2 days at Disney and on Disney property. Will plan a day ahead to have 4 total days in Shanghai because of the time 12 hour time difference. I guess I’ll shop and sightsee for those two days. What sites do you all recommend for Shanghai?

Next stop will be Beijing. I just want to see and maybe zip line across the Great Wall of China and sightseeing other attractions. That’ll be my first stop. Universal’s huge Beijing Park should be open but by then. I’m planning 2 days there if it’s open. If Universal Beijing isn’t open I’ll do sightseeing for a day and use the extra 2 days I have planned for Universal Japan.

Next Day would be the Beijing to Hong Kong bullet train. It’s supposed to be 9 hours so most of my day will be sightseeing on there.

I know people only recommend 1 day at HKDL but I want to do 2. Hopefully their new additions are open then. I’m staying at whichever of the two between Hollywood or Explorer is the cheapest Hong Kong is one of my dream shopping place. I’m planning on at least 2 days shopping. Last day will be sightseeing and more than likely shopping.

Next day will be traveling to Tokyo and resting.

I’m going for the Olympics but I don’t plan to do events every day and during my trip will spend 6 days at Disney/Universal but not consecutively. 2 days at each Disney Park, Olympic event(s), 2 days at Universal, Olympic events, then 2 days at Disney again. I want to see the Opening Ceremony, a couple basketball games including the championship, a swimming meet, gymnastics first and final game , volleyball, skateboarding and a few track meets plus an event or 2 that nobody cares about that they basically give tickets to for free. Most of these events should be on the same day.

I would like to stay at Miracosta my entire stay at TDL but I could never afford that so I would like to stay there for one trip (2 nights) and stay at a budget themed hotel the other two nights. I haven’t decided on which budget Disney hotel to stay at.

I also plan to do USJ for 2 days and staying on property for 2 nights.

This is a rough draft of my sleepy itinerary after dental work the closer I get I’ll provide updates and prices for everything.

I have a rough budget without discounts/deals of:
Plane Tickets-$1500
Spending money-$2000
Food 3 meals a day $1000(all 31 days)
Non Park stay Hotels $2500(22 nights)
SDL Hotel- $260 (total stay)
HKDL Hotel $500total stay)
Miracosta-$1800
TD Value hotel-$400(total stay)
China Visa-$140
Train Tickets and VPNs- $250
Sightseeing/Tours-$150
Olympic Tickets-$500
Disney/Universal Tickets-$500

These are all the things I can think of right now so $10,500. I would like to get that down to around $7000 after deals. Hopefully I can find someone to go with and save an additional $2700+ plus on lodging.

BrianLo

The Olympics is 17 days so I’m planning on doing 14 days Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong. I’ll be doing 4 in Shanghai , 3 in Beijing and 5 days in Hong Kong. Other two days are for traveling.

I think I’ll start off in Shanghai. Of course I would love to stay at the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel but I’ll be willing to stay at Toy Story Hotel unless I hit the lottery lol. Planning for 2 days at Disney and on Disney property. Will plan a day ahead to have 4 total days in Shanghai because of the time 12 hour time difference. I guess I’ll shop and sightsee for those two days. What sites do you all recommend for Shanghai?

Next stop will be Beijing. I just want to see and maybe zip line across the Great Wall of China and sightseeing other attractions. That’ll be my first stop. Universal’s huge Beijing Park should be open but by then. I’m planning 2 days there if it’s open. If Universal Beijing isn’t open I’ll do sightseeing for a day and use the extra 2 days I have planned for Universal Japan.

Next Day would be the Beijing to Hong Kong bullet train. It’s supposed to be 9 hours so most of my day will be sightseeing on there.

I know people only recommend 1 day at HKDL but I want to do 2. Hopefully their new additions are open then. I’m staying at whichever of the two between Hollywood or Explorer is the cheapest Hong Kong is one of my dream shopping place. I’m planning on at least 2 days shopping. Last day will be sightseeing and more than likely shopping.

Next day will be traveling to Tokyo and resting.

I’m going for the Olympics but I don’t plan to do events every day and during my trip will spend 6 days at Disney/Universal but not consecutively. 2 days at each Disney Park, Olympic event(s), 2 days at Universal, Olympic events, then 2 days at Disney again. I want to see the Opening Ceremony, a couple basketball games including the championship, a swimming meet, gymnastics first and final game , volleyball, skateboarding and a few track meets plus an event or 2 that nobody cares about that they basically give tickets to for free. Most of these events should be on the same day.

I would like to stay at Miracosta my entire stay at TDL but I could never afford that so I would like to stay there for one trip (2 nights) and stay at a budget themed hotel the other two nights. I haven’t decided on which budget Disney hotel to stay at.

I also plan to do USJ for 2 days and staying on property for 2 nights.

This is a rough draft of my sleepy itinerary after dental work the closer I get I’ll provide updates and prices for everything.

I have a rough budget without discounts/deals of:
Plane Tickets-$1500
Spending money-$2000
Food 3 meals a day $1000(all 31 days)
Non Park stay Hotels $2500(22 nights)
SDL Hotel- $260 (total stay)
HKDL Hotel $500total stay)
Miracosta-$1800
TD Value hotel-$400(total stay)
China Visa-$140
Train Tickets and VPNs- $250
Sightseeing/Tours-$150
Olympic Tickets-$500
Disney/Universal Tickets-$500

These are all the things I can think of right now so $10,500. I would like to get that down to around $7000 after deals. Hopefully I can find someone to go with and save an additional $2700+ plus on lodging.

I know you seem drawn to the "Disney budget hotel", which I assume is the celebration hotel, but I will empathetically repeat that you should stay at one of the Good-neighbour esque hotels. i.e. Sheraton or Hilton. They will frequently be cheaper and are on the monorail. The Disney Celebration hotels are way off-site and bus in.

Honestly the same goes for more of the Asian properties. I don't see the allure of spending 3 times as much for a place you will basically just sleep in with so much park time planned. I think Toy Story is a reasonable option for Shanghai, it's actually the only Disney hotel I've stayed at. If only because there aren't a lot of great options close by and it's reasonably affordable. The separate entrance + a pre-booked Fast Pass selection is also a nice perk that there is some definite cash value in.

The Hong Kong properties are lovely, but expensive, but so is Hong Kong in general. I consider the MTR part of the arrival experience though so don't mind staying off site for the sake of cost savings.

I actually would recommend more than a single day in Hong Kong Disneyland. I personally like doing 2x 2/3rd days. If you really are wanting to stay on site I think that's a reasonable compromise to at least enjoy the hotels you are paying for.

Universal Beijing will unfortunately not be open summer 2020, they announced it was pushed back a while ago. I frankly don't even think it will be open in 2021. So if the driver to Beijing is mostly because of the potential for Universal, just plan accordingly.

BrianLo

It is a pretty good time to go though, the new Beauty and the Beast area will be open by then and NintendoLand in Universal Japan. The Frozen/Marvel E-ticket won't be ready in Hong Kong, but that's ok. Quite a lot of Hong Kong is new from the last decade anyways. The castle should be ready presumably by then, the Antman attraction will also be ready.

IMDREW

I'm doing the same! Only after the Olympics cause sports don't interest me that much. Good luck and I will be excited to hear from you after your trip so I can adjust mine if needed :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom