Excitement level for Avatar opening?

How excited are you about Avatar completion & opening?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

No Name

I chose "above average."

Because based on what we've seen and heard of the rides, neither one sounds like an absolute killer mega-attraction. Navi River Journey, despite the beautiful concept art and most advanced animatronics, looks too short. Right now, it's giving me a SDMT vibe. Flight of Passage, while it may be spectacular, is a simulator. I'm not the biggest fan of pure simulators (ones that have no real movement, like Star Tours, Soarin, Mission Space). And the fact that FoP is being drummed up as the superior attraction also worries me. So I'm not convinced that either ride is going to hit it out of the park.

The land itself may and likely will be beautiful, and the floating mountains in particular look great so far. Of course there are the bioluminescent plants, walking paths, a quick service, retail... there's a lot more to a land than rides. That all gives me hope. Hopefully the queues are also excellent.

About the IP itself, I do not love Avatar, but I'm interested to see what they do with it. Not liking a movie isn't going to keep me from enjoying the land. But Avatar, to me, just doesn't bring the kind of excitement that Star Wars does. The IP does have some factor. I think the Navi are weird. Sorry, I just do!

On the other hand, it is basically an addition rather than a replacement, which is a plus.

Star Wars Land represents the epitome of my excitement. Parhaps, if we are disregarding scale, so does Rivers of Light. But Avatar Land comes up close behind. I can't wait for it to be completed.

Last edited:

HouseHacker97

i think regardless of how excited people are right now, as the land progresses and disney reveals more surprises, people will be more anxious about it. I couldn't care less about Frozen at epcot until a couple months before it opened.

Variable

Moderate because I've seen Disney hype various things o er the years and the reality has been more subdued.

Example: Instead of long large stretches of illuminating pressure sensitive walkways, I suspect we will get a few little squarse scattered about, perhaps as part of a queue. So, lots of talk, not much to show.

I hope I'm wrong.

daringstoic

I still think it's one of the most baffling decisions Disney has made regarding WDW and I could not care less about any of it. I'll definitely walk through the area and check out the rides the first time I'm there after it opens just to see something new, but my interest level in the IP and announced attractions is exactly zero.

harryk

Opportunity to see if it surpasses Little Mermaid (looks as if designed and built by 3d graders), 7DMT (ride too short for such long waits), which proved to be disappointing. Here the immagineers have the opportunity to really show their stuff, provided that their budgets have not been slashed.

Ripken10

I still think it's one of the most baffling decisions Disney has made regarding WDW and I could not care less about any of it. I'll definitely walk through the area and check out the rides the first time I'm there after it opens just to see something new, but my interest level in the IP and announced attractions is exactly zero.
If it was zero you wouldn't even go to the land, or even look at this thread, so obviously that is not true.

This was a perfect fit for the Animal Kingdom, and it will likely be the most immersive land you will ever see. This will be a hit, just some will refuse to give it a chance. But the majority will. Every casual fan I talk to gets excited about Pandora, and since the casual fan doesn't spend countless hours reading these boards, they haven't gotten that "anticipation been too long" mentality. Heck, just look how many views each picture gets anytime a new photo of the area is posted to see how much people are looking forward to this. I think the movie is ok, I will probably watch it again before the land opens, but I guarantee this will be the type land that people come back to over and over again, and both rides will have high demand for -- both for standby and FP+. Honestly I am a little worried how crowded it will be for my first visit after it opens even if it is months after the official opening.

CaptainAmerica

Moderate because I've seen Disney hype various things o er the years and the reality has been more subdued.

Example: Instead of long large stretches of illuminating pressure sensitive walkways, I suspect we will get a few little squarse scattered about, perhaps as part of a queue. So, lots of talk, not much to show.

I hope I'm wrong.
Did Disney ever hype that? I suspect lots of your past disappointments have been due to fan-generated hype than anything Disney's actually "hyped." I'm not saying they've never under-delivered, but I think it's much more common for runaway rumors to take over message boards with no confirmation from TWDC, and then fans acting ripped off when the runaway rumors don't come true.

Roakor

when they first announced it I was pretty meh.... but looking at what they have been doing with new rides and attractions in other parks lately my interest level has defiantly risen to above average. However it is soley due to the anticipation of what the new rides/attractions will be like and has nothing at all to do with the Avatar theme. I still think they would have been much better off staying with the original idea of a Beastly Kingdom. As it is, unless they go all out on the rides/attractions its not likely to be something I will give much importance to visiting after the first trip. I'd rather plan a trip to Hogwarts than to avatar.

Variable

Did Disney ever hype that? I suspect lots of your past disappointments have been due to fan-generated hype than anything Disney's actually "hyped." I'm not saying they've never under-delivered, but I think it's much more common for runaway rumors to take over message boards with no confirmation from TWDC, and then fans acting ripped off when the runaway rumors don't come true.

Oh, another one of these things just I'm just all wrong about. got it.

daringstoic

If it was zero you wouldn't even go to the land, or even look at this thread, so obviously that is not true.

This was a perfect fit for the Animal Kingdom, and it will likely be the most immersive land you will ever see. This will be a hit, just some will refuse to give it a chance. But the majority will. Every casual fan I talk to gets excited about Pandora, and since the casual fan doesn't spend countless hours reading these boards, they haven't gotten that "anticipation been too long" mentality. Heck, just look how many views each picture gets anytime a new photo of the area is posted to see how much people are looking forward to this. I think the movie is ok, I will probably watch it again before the land opens, but I guarantee this will be the type land that people come back to over and over again, and both rides will have high demand for -- both for standby and FP+. Honestly I am a little worried how crowded it will be for my first visit after it opens even if it is months after the official opening.

It is very much true. I clicked on the link simply to vote in the poll and was curious to see what other fans thought of the upcoming addition. I'm clearly in the minority as I'm currently one of three votes in the "meh" category, which surprised me because all of my Disney friends that I talk to in real life are as skeptical about it as I am. It's actually a bit reassuring to see that there are people out there who are excited about it because based on my in person discussions dating back to when it was first announced, it seemed destined to be a very expensive flop.

I do disagree that it's a perfect fit for Animal Kingdom as it doesn't deal with any animals either current or extinct and the theme of the land very much clashes with the other areas of the park, but I suspect that those arguments have already been hashed out endlessly in other threads here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom