Can someone explain Online Check-in?

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
So today is the day I can do online check in if I want. My agent told me it speeds up the check in process and that some of her clients will sometimes get text messages before even arriving at their resort that tells them their room number. I would prefer to not do this. We have some specific room requests (one that is not even on the online form) and I really want to talk to an actual person the day we check in. Should I not do online check in at all?

JIMINYCR

Weve done the online check in twice. Its supposed to be a time saver. I've never found it to save me that much more time. Weve been lucky that when weve checked in on our own there hasnt been a line to delay us. It would save a lot of time IF your resort check in line was backed up I guess.
I've also preferred checking in with a resort desk CM and interacting with them, trade my first pin of the trip, and getting any details right.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Perfect thanks. I think we did some stuff online prior to our last trip in Nov 2014. I remember setting up my pin for our magic bands in person though. We were staying in Pop and like you said, I feel like the wait was minimal. I quickly checked it out this morning and seems like an all or nothing deal now. So I'd rather just wait til we are there so I can talk to a CM regarding our requests :)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
So today is the day I can do online check in if I want. My agent told me it speeds up the check in process and that some of her clients will sometimes get text messages before even arriving at their resort that tells them their room number. I would prefer to not do this. We have some specific room requests (one that is not even on the online form) and I really want to talk to an actual person the day we check in. Should I not do online check in at all?

You still can call and note specific requests on your reservation and still do online check in. Also note not all requests are guaranteed and even when we made some and we went to the front desk to check inwe still did not get one of our requests several times. We politely asked if we could get that request fulfilled when we went to the desk and nope they said sorry we can't but we did see it in the reservation it just was not available. Also never make a specific room request or number they will not do that. A building request yes that's much more likely etc. Ours was a general request each time and we were not accommodated either so you just never know with requests. The only request we always get when asked is an upper floor. So yes if you skip online check in you get to go to the desk etc but they will not guarantee you get any requests you have. I usually call and make requests to be noted and do online check in and I call right before and all my requests I called and added and all online requests are always also noted. So basically we have done both prior to online and now with online and it does not give you better chances of getting specific requests to do one or the other. Lol :)

DisneyFans4Life

Online check in is a big help if you've reserved a specific room already, but if you have special requests, it would be better to talk to a CM at the front desk.

We did online check over the summer when we stayed at AoA, but we had requested a king bed and unfortunately didn't get it...so I ended up having to go to the front desk anyway to ask them to move us.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Thank you!! I totally understand that they can only fulfill your requests if they are available. We are hoping for connecting rooms and that is not an option on the online form. Our agent noted it when she booked the rooms but I would feel better double checking with an actual person :)

Mickey5150

If I remember correctly from my last online checkin I was able to do requests at that time. In all honesty there is absolutely nothing wrong with just checking in when you get there. I've been to WDW so many times and at the same hotel that all I need is a room number and I'm set so online check-in is perfect for me.

DisneyFans4Life

Thank you!! I totally understand that they can only fulfill your requests if they are available. We are hoping for connecting rooms and that is not an option on the online form. Our agent noted it when she booked the rooms but I would feel better double checking with an actual person :)
You could also do online check in and then call ahead of time and speak with someone at the front desk; let them know you did online check in but you wanted to request connecting rooms. This would prevent you from having to go to the front desk.

In all honesty...it's pretty convenient to not have to stop at the security gate to show them ID, then go to the front desk and check in...when you can park and go directly to your room.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I quickly checked it out this morning and seems like an all or nothing deal now.
That's incorrect. You can do all, some, or none of the following:

1. Check in online.
2. Call now.
3. Call closer to room assignment day.
4. Fax them your requests.

None of those prevent you from doing the others and none of them prevent you from going to the check-in counter when you get to the resort, even if you get the text message that your room is ready. They're going to assign you to a specific room before you arrive even if you don't do online check-in, so it's best to give them as much information before room assignment as possible. They'll do their best to accommodate you if you make special requests at the counter but they'll be limited by availability at that point. You're much more likely to have your request honored if you make it in advance.

Last edited:

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
That's incorrect. You can do all, some, or none of the following:

1. Check in online.
2. Call now.
3. Call closer to room assignment day.
4. Fax them your requests.

None of those prevent you from doing the others and none of them prevent you from going to the check-in counter when you get to the resort, even if you get the text message that your room is ready. They're going to assign you to a specific room before you arrive even if you don't do online check-in, so it's best to give them as much information before room assignment as possible. They'll do their best to accommodate you if you make special requests at the counter but they'll be limited by availability at that point. You're much more likely to have your request honored if you make it in advance.

Thanks, by all or nothing I meant that you have to fill in all of the things they are asking online, or nothing. I tried this morning to check off the room requests and then submit the form without entering a pin for our magic bands and it wouldn't let me.

StarshipDisney

This is an informative thread. I am also near the date range for on-line check-in but don't think I want to do it. I paid for a club level room with a MK view at Contemporary Resort, so they should know where we need to go. There are only so many rooms on the MK side of the 12th floor. I have a paid reservation so they should be expecting us regardless of on-line check-in status.

I actually look forward to all interaction including the gate guard and cast members when we check in. I believe that is part of the fun.

It seems to me there is also one potentially slightly negative impact. While it has never happened to us...ever...there are some whom I have heard got free upgrades at check-in to a better (more expensive) room. Doing on-line check-in and getting an advance room number would seem to remove any possibility of a free upgrade upon check-in...however slim that possibility may be.

osueddy

We go to Disney every summer and stay at Pop. I have never done online check in because I usually have some requests like which building we want in. I know they assign rooms before getting there, but at least if I check in at the desk, if I'm not happy with the room they gave me, I can politely ask then and there if they have a different room. Usually they give me two or three options to choose from.

Seanual757

We always do online check in you get to bypass the front desk and go right to your room. You will receive a text message with your room number and a map to open up to guide you to your building. We always do early check in and since this service has been available we have always received our room number around 9:30-10am. Below is a list of resorts we have used On-line check-in in the past 18 months and the number of stays. For us it’s extremely convent with no need to wait in line at the front desk.

-Port Orleans French Quarter x 3
-Port Orleans Riverside x 2
-Villas At the Grand Floridian x 2
-Animal Kingdom Kidani Village x 3
-Old Key West x 1
-Saratoga Springs x 2

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It seems to me there is also one potentially slightly negative impact. While it has never happened to us...ever...there are some whom I have heard got free upgrades at check-in to a better (more expensive) room. Doing on-line check-in and getting an advance room number would seem to remove any possibility of a free upgrade upon check-in...however slim that possibility may be.
Free upgrades are given out based on the operational needs of the resort. Checking in online or at the front desk never enters into the equation.

Between 1998 and 2013 we were averaging 10-12 resort stays a year and our free upgrade rate has remained largely constant even after the introduction of on-line check in.

The only difference I have noticed is the probability of our room being ready early has gone up significantly since online check in has been introduced. Prior to online check it I could count the number of times our room has been ready before 3 on one hand. We are at about 70%-80% post online check in.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Does anyone know when they assign rooms? 24 hours before check in? That morning? I still think I will skip the online forms but I think I will call at some point to talk to a real person. And then talk to another real person when we check in. I feel thats only way to make sure our requests are at least considered.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks everyone. Does anyone know when they assign rooms? 24 hours before check in? That morning? I still think I will skip the online forms but I think I will call at some point to talk to a real person. And then talk to another real person when we check in. I feel thats only way to make sure our requests are at least considered.
From what I have been told it can be as many as three days prior o arrival but 24-48 hours prior is the most common.

The best way to make sure your request is seen is to call the reservation center and make sure it is on your reservation.

If you call the resort prior to check in regarding room requests there is a 99.9% chance that you will be transferred back to the reservation center.

Your requests are always considered. The reservation staff is not made of pure evil. They will do everything they can to honor your requests, but that is not always possible especially if a resort is at or near 100% occupancy or if the requests are too specific (eg room 2175).

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
I know. And I said pretty much the exact thing above, that I realize they can only honor requests if they are available. I'm not trying to cheat the system here. Just clarify a few questions.

twag1

Used online in spring for the first time, and no question would use it again.

We had two requests and both were granted. Stayed at Caribbean Beach; requested either Jamaica or Aruba. Check. Requested side by side rooms. Check.

We received the texts on the way to the resort. The bands worked fine; we parked and went straight to the rooms.

At CBR, check-in is kind of in the next zip code, with nothing to even really browse around and look at. So if you really don't need to stop there, no driving reason to have to - - unless it would be a tradition sort of thing.

Innkeeper's Club

From what I have been told it can be as many as three days prior o arrival but 24-48 hours prior is the most common.

The best way to make sure your request is seen is to call the reservation center and make sure it is on your reservation.

If you call the resort prior to check in regarding room requests there is a 99.9% chance that you will be transferred back to the reservation center.

Your requests are always considered. The reservation staff is not made of pure evil. They will do everything they can to honor your requests, but that is not always possible especially if a resort is at or near 100% occupancy or if the requests are too specific (eg room 2175).
Aren't most free upgrades given to those guests staying for at least 7 days or less? In May 2000 we were upgraded at the Contemporary to the Tower Club 14th floor Club Level floor. During that specific vacation we only stayed for 4 days, where as we have never been upgraded when on a reservation for 2 weeks since it's a much longer stay.

tractor tipper

This is an informative thread. I am also near the date range for on-line check-in but don't think I want to do it. I paid for a club level room with a MK view at Contemporary Resort, so they should know where we need to go. There are only so many rooms on the MK side of the 12th floor. I have a paid reservation so they should be expecting us regardless of on-line check-in status.

I actually look forward to all interaction including the gate guard and cast members when we check in. I believe that is part of the fun.

The only free upgrade we ever got was at POR from standard room to Royal room with the on-line check-in, it can happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom